Sponsored by:

Bye Bye Mobile 1 0-40w

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:12 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
OK, cough up the rational..... I am interested (in a good way!) and don't plan to slam.

So, questions:
1) Why?
2) Why is higher pressure at idle good?
3) Why is Mobil 1 less good, what is the matter with it?
4) Bonus question: Why do you feel tilting your car is a good thing to do? I have been warned that it may cause the sender to recalibrate and result in incorrect fill readings.

Seriously, I am not looking to bait you, I am just curious about your reasoning or information you used.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
All right you guys got me. Baited.

Based on past readings, M1 is generally viewed as inferior to top European oils. Quality and film strength were part of my thinking, along with better anti shearing properties.

Additionally, I noticed my oil pressure getting close to 1 bar at idle with M1. Consensus seemed to suggest 2 bar was as low as you'd want see. Seeing the bar dropping overtime with M1 had me thinking that damn oil was losing its anti shear properties (knowing it also inferior to start with).

5-40w choice was based on having something thicker for summer and hard driving. I think it's the consensus on oil weight and has been mentioned by engine rebuilders for the m97 motor, i.e Hartech and others.

As for the 3.5 bar, I mentioned this a reference point to see oil pressure improvement. M1 with 3500 on the clock was just above 1. I'm not sure what the right bar number is but didn't want to see under 1. As an update, was a tad under 3 bar at idle today at 225f. Some nice pulls to 6500 in spectacular weather.

Wish I switched earlier but the ole garage always seemed to have jugs of M1 for my other cars. I blame Walmart.

As for the slight incline for the oil change, no problem. Nice hot engine and 4hr drain. 8.75Q oil in and hit the first bar.

Gear oil next. Motul 300 gear oil.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:51 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
All right you guys got me. Baited.

Based on past readings, M1 is generally viewed as inferior to top European oils. Quality and film strength were part of my thinking, along with better anti shearing properties.

Additionally, I noticed my oil pressure getting close to 1 bar at idle with M1. Consensus seemed to suggest 2 bar was as low as you'd want see. Seeing the bar dropping overtime with M1 had me thinking that damn oil was losing its anti shear properties (knowing it also inferior to start with).

5-40w choice was based on having something thicker for summer and hard driving. I think it's the consensus on oil weight and has been mentioned by engine rebuilders for the m97 motor, i.e Hartech and others.

As for the 3.5 bar, I mentioned this a reference point to see oil pressure improvement. M1 with 3500 on the clock was just above 1. I'm not sure what the right bar number is but didn't want to see under 1. As an update, was a tad under 3 bar at idle today at 225f. Some nice pulls to 6500 in spectacular weather.

Wish I switched earlier but the ole garage always seemed to have jugs of M1 for my other cars. I blame Walmart.

As for the slight incline for the oil change, no problem. Nice hot engine and 4hr drain. 8.75Q oil in and hit the first bar.

Gear oil next. Motul 300 gear oil.

Any thoughts on 20W-50?

I was at the track a couple weeks ago one of the long time head driving instructor was talking about how that was the weight he liked.

And yes will prob become a long and opinionated thread.....lol Does anyone use Dinosaur oil anymore lol....
Old 05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

hell no to 20w-50 on a water cooled car.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to use Motul on my bikes. But I have switched to Amsoil and have been happy.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM
95Rover
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hell no to 20w-50 on a water cooled car.

Just playing devil's advocate, but Wayne Dempsey rec's 20w-50 on water coolers in certain climates.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Oil_Change.htm
Old 05-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 BAR oil pressure at idle at 225*f oil temp?

At 225*f, I'm right at 1 BAR. Engine was rebuilt 9-10k miles ago by FSI.

Something doesn't seem right here ...
Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
OK, cough up the rational..... I am interested (in a good way!) and don't plan to slam.

So, questions:
3) Why is Mobil 1 less good, what is the matter with it?

Seriously, I am not looking to bait you, I am just curious about your reasoning or information you used.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Read UOAs on Mobil and Motul. Read many. You'll see why. Mainly shear. Mobil shears down. Motul holds viscosity better over the drain interval. In a nut shell.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Be prepared for absolutely no science in this thread.
I spit some monster energy drink onto my screen. BAAHAHAHAA

Anyways, I think it's ironic that tonight i'm changing my oil at 3k miles like clockwork; but I decided to go from the relatively harder to find "Euro Formula" pennzoil 5w40 Ferrari approved, porsche approved formula, to regular old mobile 1 ow40.

I know the difference between euro formula and others; euro formula has a more precise tolerance for purity of the oil. I forget the numbers but I assume it's miniscule.

Why am I doing this? For science.

Just kidding; it's the oil porsche engineers recommend, its the oil my indy recommends, and I want to be able to walk into a local auto store and be able to buy as much as I want, not have to buy 2-3 at a time, or order online.

Availability > any perceived difference to me. I am going back to OW40 mobile 1.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Great choice of oil. Motul is awesome for street and track
Old 05-29-2015, 08:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

OP needs to add his post to this thread -
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/875119-oil.html
Old 05-29-2015, 08:30 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
3 BAR oil pressure at idle at 225*f oil temp?

At 225*f, I'm right at 1 BAR. Engine was rebuilt 9-10k miles ago by FSI.

Something doesn't seem right here ...
You are fine.

LN engineering says 10psi per 1000rpm. 1 bar = 14.5 psi.

The OP is probably, depending who you talk to, is going to better oil. But the big PSI difference is a little weird.

3.5 bar is actually a little high at hot, if the definition of hot is 200+. At 200, it should be between 1 and 2 bar.

I have used DT40 and the OP'S oil and I get about 1.25 -1.5 bar at 200+.

Mike
Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

New owner of first 911 (2006 c4 cab 3.6). I just changed mine with new M1 0-40W, and noted an increase in pressure of about 1 bar across the board. Been wondering about that...could be less pressure drop across the oil filter with the new one, but this depends on where the oil filter is in relatation to the pump, oil filter bypass, and pressure sender unit.

I konw that going up from 0-40w to your 5w-40 ? will result in an increase in idle pressure in many engines, as the filter is new (in your case), the pump pressure relief spring is still on it's seat, and the viscosity (new oil) is at max.

2006 c4 Cab MT Jan 2006 build
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How about this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...rain-plug.html
Old 05-29-2015, 10:39 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
I spit some monster energy drink onto my screen. BAAHAHAHAA

Anyways, I think it's ironic that tonight i'm changing my oil at 3k miles like clockwork; but I decided to go from the relatively harder to find "Euro Formula" pennzoil 5w40 Ferrari approved, porsche approved formula, to regular old mobile 1 ow40.

I know the difference between euro formula and others; euro formula has a more precise tolerance for purity of the oil. I forget the numbers but I assume it's miniscule.

Why am I doing this? For science.

Just kidding; it's the oil porsche engineers recommend, its the oil my indy recommends, and I want to be able to walk into a local auto store and be able to buy as much as I want, not have to buy 2-3 at a time, or order online.

Availability > any perceived difference to me. I am going back to OW40 mobile 1.
+1 I never left. I never try to out guess Porsche engineering. As a engineer myself I'm pretty sure they know more about their engines than I do.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is the thread that changed my mind about M1.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-when-hot.html

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Mobile 1 0-40w