LN Eng Mag Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LN Eng Mag Oil Drain Plug

Hi fellow P-owners,
Please have a look at picture of my LN Engineering oil drain plug and tell me what you think about the amount of deposits.

FYI: The oil was in the sump for close to 8 months and about 4,000 kms. That period includes winter storage as well.
I don't want to disclose the oil, viscosity, etc until I hear from you.
Those who have Mag plug, please feel free to post your own pictures.
M97 engines are known to produce a lot of magnetic shavings. I am curious what you get to see on your mag plugs.

All comments are welcome.

James, you know the details, please don't influence the comments....

Many thanks to all who participate.

I will post UOA and all details as soon as I get UOA from Blackstone and get some responses.

Cheers,

Luxter
Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like a little bit of ferrous material and some dirt/sludge. It's difficult to say if it is normal or if you have a problem without more info. Did you run your engine and fully heat up your oil before changing it? If not that would be my guess why there is dirt/sludge on the plug. For the ferrous material it appears to be minimal and not a problem - how many miles are on your engine.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the LN magnetic plug also. My observations have been to find a thin soot like coating on the plug. Nothing you could feel by rubbing your fingers together after wiping it off. Like a little smudge of lamp black. What did your filter look like? Hope it is nothing.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by jkw911
Looks like a little bit of ferrous material and some dirt/sludge. It's difficult to say if it is normal or if you have a problem without more info. Did you run your engine and fully heat up your oil before changing it? If not that would be my guess why there is dirt/sludge on the plug. For the ferrous material it appears to be minimal and not a problem - how many miles are on your engine.
Hi JKW,
My oil was drained right after a longer drive with oil temps well into 175-200*F.
There is no sludge as such, just used warm oil. Pictures don't reflect reality well, as you know.
The oil is on XW-40 range.
Glad to hear that "ferrous material appears to be minimal". That's exactly what I thought.
60,000 kms on the engine. About 37 T Miles.
Many thanks again,
Luxter.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by gla
I have the LN magnetic plug also. My observations have been to find a thin soot like coating on the plug. Nothing you could feel by rubbing your fingers together after wiping it off. Like a little smudge of lamp black. What did your filter look like? Hope it is nothing.
The oil filter is squeaky clean, nothing to report. Nada.
There is no soot of any sort on the plug, just warm oil straight from the sump. I know pictures don't reflect reality very well. Please excuse me.
One more hint: the oil is 10W-40. C'mon, that says a lot already....
Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I made myself a magnetic drain plug and have discovered very little ferrous material on it during an engine oil cycle (roughly 6000 miles). A big reason is that today much of the internal workings of these engines is non-ferrous.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

looks normal to me. small peace of mind you may want to consider: send your oil out for testing (to blackstone, LN, etc). not an absolute guard against being surprised by engine trouble but it may point to certain potential issues ahead of time and it's relatively cheap.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks a little cleaner than my mag plug... I'll post a pic the next time I change my oil. I'd be interested in how much material you wipe off on a clean paper towel and what the material looks like.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Luxter
Pro

Default UOA

As promised, my UOA.
Motul 300V 10W-40.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Luke, am I reading this correctly... seems that the Motul Xcess results were better? Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Luke, am I reading this correctly... seems that the Motul Xcess results were better? Thanks for sharing.
I am genuinely impressed with X-Cess. In every aspect up to about 5,000 Mi (8,000 km). Great performing oil.
Keep in mind that 300V was in from August to April incl. winter storage and X-Cess was early spring (March ?) to August. Different conditions for sure.
And I am tempted to say that knowing that I had really good oil in somewhat influenced muscles of my right foot as well.
Also BS Lab accuracy could be a factor, right? +/- 1 ppm? I doubt.
Stop by Pistonheads, there is a discussion on Millers NT with contribution by Hartech.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

i wonder why they didnt point out the (high) aluminum? does it not indicate any serious issues?

here is my latest in case anyone wants to peruse. sorry, it apparently doesnt like the way i am trying to save it as JPEG or PNG so i had to attach the PDF.

i change my oil frequently since i track and there have been no real issues save for a small spike in lead last year.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
BStone 2-7-13.pdf (22.1 KB, 209 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
i wonder why they didnt point out the (high) aluminum? does it not indicate any serious issues?
Hi Spiffy,
Aluminum is at 4 ppm only in this UOA. I think you are reading it backwards. It was M1 TDT 5W-40 CI4+/SL (the one with higher Zn and P, before both got reduced to CJ/SM) that caused 12 ppm of AL.

Very nice UOA using redline, very impressive.
Amazingly I have not seen one bad Redline UOA in 996/7 engine except when engine had other mechanical issues.
So, Redline reliably informed me that the 10W-40 contains ZERO viscosity improvers. Both 0W-40 and 5W-40 contain some VI's. I am thinking Redline 10W-40 would be perfect for track use.
Any experience with 10W-40 anybody?

We should start another thread with UOA / VOA database for 996/7. What you guys think?
I know... I know, another oil thread.
If we could limit it to facts only?

Thanks for posting.
=L=
Old 04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Not quite sure I agree the report is nice.

Less miles on the Motul 10w-40 oil. Yet chrome, iron, copper, tin readings are up. I wonder if the 10w is contributing to wear at cold start?

Silicon is up too. This can be dirt getting into the engine. Are you running an aftermarket air filter?
Old 04-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Luxter
Hi Spiffy,
Aluminum is at 4 ppm only in this UOA. I think you are reading it backwards. It was M1 TDT 5W-40 CI4+/SL (the one with higher Zn and P, before both got reduced to CJ/SM) that caused 12 ppm of AL.
haha, i'm an idiot. i even HAVE reports of my own yet cant remember (or apparently see!) the orientation of the columns/sample dates. sorry!

Quick Reply: LN Eng Mag Oil Drain Plug