Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you find your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Like probably no one else, I bid on a one dollar reserve auction on the NZ version of eBay, lost the auction and then negotiated a sale of the same car when the winner failed to pay for the car. Wasn't even considering a 997 until I came across the auction. Was the first Porsche I'd driven, time between consideration/test drive/PPI was three days. Best decision ever.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 PM
energetik9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of posts here that will say the same as me. Auto Trader. Looked for about two months, seriously for about three weeks.

I was reasonably picky on a few options. I definitely spent some time shaping my 'must have' and 'like to have' lists. Stayed flexible on the mileage and color. I didn't start out with CPO as a must have, but it moved there which really narrows your choices. That was the deal I made with my wife So it goes.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:22 AM
GEO356
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking to trade my STI for a Cayman and stumbled on a low mileage CPO 977.2 C2 at the local Porsche dealership. Several days of negotiations ended with me buying the 911. I am happy.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

"How did you find your car?"

I went to Zuffenhausen the day before my scheduled pickup date and looked out back. And there it was!
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2014, 02:45 PM
PORSCHE_GURU3100
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an 07 blue C4s at Porsche of Arlington
Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHE_GURU3100
There is an 07 blue C4s at Porsche of Arlington
Thanks but it's an automatic. Looking to row my own gears.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Here's the list I use when looking for P-cars. Found my RUF on AutoTrader and my Wifes's through Rennlist. Good luck on the hunt. Make a list of the model or models you want, the colors, the must have options vs "would be nice to have" options and then as you're scouring these different sites you won't waste a lot of time looking at all the cars, just the ones that are a good match for what you're looking for in yours.

www.racperformance.com (TX)
www.formanmotorsport.com (AZ)
www.sloancars.com (NY)
www.truspeedmotorcars.com (CA)
www.willhoitenterprises.com (MO)
www.formula1miami.com (FL)
www.victorymotorcars.com (TX)
www.nwicars.com/showroom.htm (OR)
www.chicagomotorcars.com (IL)
www.rpmsportscars.com
www.mgmsl.com
www.themiamigarage.com (FL)
www.starwoodmotors.com (TX)
www.premiersportscars.com (MO)
www.selectluxury.com (GA)
www.drivingemotions.com (FL)
www.rennlist.com
www.ecarlink.com (TX)
www.exoticclassics.com (NY)
www.pelicanparts.com
www.6speedonline.com
www.usimotors.com/porsche (TN)
www.lakenormanimports.com (NC)
www.foreigncarsitalia.com (NC)
www.ardemotorcars.com (TN)
www.musiccitymotorsports.com (TN)
www.globalmotorsportsinc.com/web/inventory (TN)
http://www.flemingsultimategarage.com/index.php (MD)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 AM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Petza just gave you an extensive useful list. If you can't find something on those sites, there is something wrong with you. If you search for my user name, I have made many references on purchase. I don't want to repeat myself too much. For me, price is the bottom line and I do NOT like to pay more than wholesale. I know the cars well. I read. I listen. I never get PPI. Just put my car (Avatar) away for the winter last night. Found it on EBay. Fresh engine, out of Naples, FL and reason for selling was simple. The owner did not want it anymore. Knee surgery. Fall time is the best. Look for same car in multiple listings: motivated seller. Spring time worse. Prices go up. Remember the old saying in the car market: "There is an a$$ for every seat." If you can't find something else and price is no object, suggest you hire a broker and have them do everything. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Found both of my Porsches on ebay.
I've sold two of my past 911s on eBay.

Local dealers are always a good source and it's certainly more convenient. Tell them what you are looking for and check in with them periodically.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I've sold two of my past 911s on eBay.

Local dealers are always a good source and it's certainly more convenient. Tell them what you are looking for and check in with them periodically.

I did this with my local dealer. I spoke with a sales guy about what I was looking for. He called me with whatever new trades they had trying to convince me that what I wanted wasn't what I really wanted.....lol

My requirement on color: Black/Black.

Sales guy call, "we have a beautiful Red/Beige car with...blah blah...I know you want black/black but this car is just so fantastic. Black cars are so hard to keep clean....."
Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck searching.

When I stopped racing in 2012 because my depth perception was going, I started using the Porsche Pre-Owned Car Locator. Quickly found a 2009 Targa in Palm Desert (Desert European) with 5,xxx miles with all of the options I would have ordered on a car. Price was good. But, I couldn't really pull the trigger until I sold the Turner race car. Thought it would be difficult. But, it sold in 5 days in flea bay. Called the dealer right away. But, Targa was sold. Thus began a 6-month ritual - every morning, start computer, open Outlook, open Porsche Pre-owned Car Locator & search the US for a CPO'd car of my liking. Didn't find. Gave up and went to my local dealer to buy a white 991 coupe with beige/black interior, & PDK. While there we saw a Maserati GranTurismo in Bordeaux Pontivecchio (deep burgundy metallic) with Cuoio Sella interior (see attached). Awesome looking, sounding and fantastic ride for us old folks. Absolutely loved the car. Bought it. Still love it but no club. So, joined PCA with a black 993 coupe VIN # & a black 993 coupe by Pocher. (;-))

A year later, one night I was casually surfing Cars.com or Autotrader & found this 1997 white Targa with Beige/black interior with 17,500 miles at a used car dealer in Laguna Beach. Called next day. We talked off & on for a week maybe. Then I wrote it off as too high a price. A couple of weeks went by & dealer emailed me with a much better price. After a PPI at a nearby shop recommended by local PCA guys, and having a friend there during the PPI, I did a deal. It arrived in Florida a few weeks later.

So, you just never know when or where you'll find the "right" car.
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
While there we saw a Maserati GranTurismo in Bordeaux Pontivecchio (deep burgundy metallic) with Cuoio Sella interior (see attached).
Gorgeous! I'm still a little wary of the service and reliability issues with the Masers. How has your experience been?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Gorgeous! I'm still a little wary of the service and reliability issues with the Masers. How has your experience been?
Thanks. That's what caught my eye while 991 shopping.

Engine is Ferrari 4.2 (newer ones 4.7) V-8, well-designed and proven. Trans is ZF automatic. Optional F1 I would be wary of as clutches are said to go too quickly & at $15k to repair, not to my liking. Only major repair was battery went dead and with EVERYTHING being run by electricity, it was a bugger. But, dealer replaced it under CPO warrantee, as did Mercedes on wife's car 2 years ago. Now Mercedes battery is shot again 7 days short of 2 years since replacement & 1 year out of warrantee. Maser CPO is good until March '15 on the 2009 GT.

Annual service has been around $700-800. Major service is said to be on the order of $4k. Last one was done just before I bought the GT in 2012.

A review of posts on MaseratiLife shows no real reliability or service issues on the new cars. Old ones like the Bi-Turbo? That's a whole other story. "Barn Find" just featured one with 3,500 miles. Guess why the mileage is so low?

But, back to the GranTurismo - gas consumption on the highway at 75-80 is 24-25 mpg. Around town - 17 if you drive it "normally." Drive it to enjoy the "music" and power, it drops to 7 or 8 mpg. The music alone is worth it. See and hear at:
Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

That Maserati sounds awesome ^
Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a great looking Maser. I owned a Cambiocorsa Coupe (red on black) between a 996 and a 997, and it was actually my ride from Miami to the vette 50th anniversary celebration in Bowling Green and to the P Driving School in Birmingham AL. It was a true GT...luxurious interior better than any of my P cars and great place to spend hours driving to a distant destination. I loved that car, but it was not a track tool, and it was not good in heavy traffic because of the cambiocorsa manumatic. It could shift faster than I could with a manual, but clutch engagement was jerky when starting off in traffic. And the first two years did not include a hill holder feature, so start off when going uphill involved deft use of the hand brake while the manumatic jerkily engaged the clutch!

Quick Reply: How did you find your car?