Sponsored by:

How did you find your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
Default How did you find your car?

So the search has been going on for a little over 7 months now. I've been searching daily in the following places:
  • ebay
  • rennlist vehicle listings
  • 6speedonline vehicle marketplace
  • autotrader
  • cars.com
  • porsche.com vehicle locator
  • craigslist nationwide search engine
  • occasionally sloancars.com and planet9.com
  • carmax

Anyone have any other suggestions I may be missing?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

What model are you looking for and what do you want to pay? If you're too picky it might take a while. I bought my 997.2 in 4 days after selling my 996, the hole in my heart was too big too wait that long. Is this your first Porsche?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Austin997.2 raises some good points.

A good car is where you find it and you are looking in a lot of places.

About the only thing I can suggest is you check out ads in Panorama and Excellence. One or both of these magazines may have its own web site where you can visit and do your searching online.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche owners club ?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the feeling. I probably looked 6 months. I had a choice of color combos and options I wanted so it wasn't easy. I ended up finding my car on the Porsche CPO locator the day it got entered. Wasn't any pics yet. The desirable cars that are priced right go very fast on there.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 185 Posts

right here, in the Vehicle Marketplace

amazing Sunday evening find, owned the car on Friday

still smiling
Old 10-28-2014, 02:02 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found mine on Autotrader, after setting up several searches. I wanted a specific color combination, sport seats, and a 6-speed, but was otherwise flexible. Took me about a year, but the process sped up once I sold my Cayman and was unencumbered. It helps alot if you open up your search radius - I live in California but bought my car in the SoutEast.

Other sites I used were cars.com, Porsche USA, Excellence, PCA (local chapter and national websites), and my local dealer sites.

If you see the car you want at the right price, don't screw around, or someone will beat you to it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by kcheves; 10-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 136 Posts

Word of mouth, I sold my pristine 964 to a collector who knew a meticulous, avid PCA participant who had my car.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
What model are you looking for and what do you want to pay? Is this your first Porsche?
First Porsche. Looking for a 4s 2007-2011 6 speed coupe (#1 priority) or an 07-08 Turbo 6 speed coupe (second choice since my wife didn't really like driving one). Turbo would be +40k miles on it while the S would have >40k miles. I'm looking for one in a bright/exciting color (guards red, speed yellow, etc) so they only come up every once in awhile. I'm open to anything but black and silver. It's going to be a daily driver.

I was close on a red one at Melbourne Porsche in Florida but it was sold they day before I contacted them (it still shows up on the search but it's long gone).

Originally Posted by kcheves
Took me about a year, but the process sped up once I sold my Cayman and was unencumbered. It helps alot if you open up your search radius - I live in California but bought my car in the SoutEast.

Other sites I used were cars.com, Porsche USA, Excellence, PCA (local chapter and national websites), and my local dealer sites.

If you see the car you want at the right price, don't screw around, or someone will beat you to it.

Good Luck!
I should clarify....I've been doing a nationwide search for over 7 months straight which is exhausting considering how many times I run searches per day.

I've done a couple of PPI's but for one reason or another the car hasn't worked out.

Originally Posted by kcheves
Good advice on PCA. I don't know why I didn't think of that one.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep an eye on Marshall Goldman. That's where I bought mine and they tend to focus on unique/desirable colors and low miles. You can call them and have them search for you too. You will likely pay a premium for what you want, but honestly I don't think the Reds and Yellows command much if any premium, now that I think about it.

http://www.mgmsl.com/
Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
Keep an eye on Marshall Goldman. That's where I bought mine and they tend to focus on unique/desirable colors and low miles. You can call them and have them search for you too. You will likely pay a premium for what you want, but honestly I don't think the Reds and Yellows command much if any premium, now that I think about it.

http://www.mgmsl.com/
Uhhh, I'll take that Red 964 Turbo off their hands!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Found both of my Porsches on ebay.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

"I was close on a red one at Melbourne Porsche in Florida but it was sold they day before I contacted them (it still shows up on the search but it's long gone)."

Keep an eye on the car. Sometimes sales fall through and you might get a 2nd chance at it. Sort of happened when I was shopping a 996 Turbo. I wanted the car but let the salesman believe he led me to the car to avoid tipping my hand I wanted it. (I had checked it out several times after hours and done some research on the car before walking onto the showroom floor.) But there was another person there who was trying to buy the car so the salesman and I sat tight. I had to leave -- wanted to leave because the salesman had given me the CPO info and with this I was able to know some of the dealers who had serviced the car and so away from the selling dealer I called them and learned of the level of servicing -- good -- the car had received and what was and was not due.) Checking back the next day I found out the 1st buyer was unable to buy the car so I showed up and after some negotiating managed to buy the car and at a good price too.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Found mine at the local Porsche dealership. First owner bought and serviced it there so they had all the records going back to day 1 and plus it was CPO'd.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Nova997
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Car Gurus

AOL Autos

Quick Reply: How did you find your car?