Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stole mine

Used luxury car dealership.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:03 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotrader, local dealership. My wife test-drove it that afternoon and three hours later we were driving it home.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Found it in Afghanistan, on Autotrader - the car was just posted the day prior - called from a SAT phone - had the buyer on the line to confirm the car was mint and in Chicago in his garage. Overbid another buyer who was already ahead of me - added 1,000 usd. Car was exactly what I was looking for - launch edition 997S - hard to find only 337.

Site unseen, no PPI, wired 51,000 USD to someone I never met.

Came back from Afghanistan 42 days late after wire transfer to a better than described (car was flawless) Porsche 911 sitting in my garage. Only 10,038 miles. This was in 2009 Over 5 years later still one of the best car purchases I ever made.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82

Site unseen, no PPI, wired 51,000 USD to someone I never met.
Don't know if I should call you brave or stupid. Mine was CPO'ed and I still paid for the PPI, not only that. I have them write me a letter stating that if I don't like it in any way when I see it in person, I can get a full refund.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
Don't know if I should call you brave or stupid. Mine was CPO'ed and I still paid for the PPI, not only that. I have them write me a letter stating that if I don't like it in any way when I see it in person, I can get a full refund.
Mostly stupid! Would never do that again but in this situation I won, huge gamble!

I suppose 11 months of hard searching and losing the only other launch edition to another buyer 7 months prior had wore me out a bit. Add in my location and you get a bit anxious. I had about 9 conversations over the phone with the buyer, I could tell he was a real car guy. But you never know do you! Lucky for me it really was a mint 911 and he delivered it as promised. He could of taken the money and ran. Luck.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

If you're ready to pull the trigger why not take the offensive approach? I'd place a wanted to buy ad here, on 6Speed and the PCA site and magazine. I'm sure there are plenty of passive sellers out there looking to trade up / move on / whatever.

I'll be looking for a non White / Black / Silver GTS soon and that's my plan.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
If you're ready to pull the trigger why not take the offensive approach? I'd place a wanted to buy ad here, on 6Speed and the PCA site and magazine. I'm sure there are plenty of passive sellers out there looking to trade up / move on / whatever.

I'll be looking for a non White / Black / Silver GTS soon and that's my plan.
I did! This is my second ad (I had one that ran for awhile during the spring and then tweaked it as my budget was raised)

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...under-65k.html

Also have one on 6speed.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo

I did! This is my second ad (I had one that ran for awhile during the spring and then tweaked it as my budget was raised)

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...under-65k.html

Also have one on 6speed.
Sorry - missed that. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:16 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Found the first one on Ebay...a 996 with about 26K miles. After replacing the driver's seat covers it was good as new.

The second one was dealer demo Boxster S @ FL P dealer with around 400 miles...it was a good deal with a discount of about 12K under list price.

The third was an Atlas Gray 997S...bought new at @ same FL dealer where I'd bought other cars. The discount was small...about 5%, but it was a much better deal than the dealer surcharge for a new M5 at the time (after pricing the M5 I went straight to the P Car dealer).

And last week I picked up my fourth P Car at a local used car dealer in the Dominican Republic: another '06 Atlas Gray 997S, this one had less than 7K miles and decent mechanical maintenance records from the authorized dealer. It looks and runs well but having sat around for most of its life, it is requiring minor sorting out as the hot humid climate here is not Porsche friendly: Tires were still factory OEMs---replaced with new Pirelli P Zeros (Michelins were unavailable here). AC water condensation is draining onto the passenger footwell. AC vents are not working properly, PCM buttons are shot (ordered new ones from Suncoast), rear roof water leak in headliner from the sunroof drain tube, gauge cluster is being replaced as the readout in the central digital display is intermittent. Rear wiper requires replacement. Dash foam is shot and being spewed out in particles from A/C vents. Sliders on A/C control unit are gummy and discolored (new unit on order). Had I been in the US I would not have bought this car. But here in the tropics choices are limited and fingers are crossed this will be a reliable weekend driver with great cosmetics.

Last edited by SJP3003; 10-30-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: adding details
Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought mine on Rennlist in this forum. Smooth deal on a great car. 35,000 trouble free miles on it today.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:52 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Hang in there. The F80 M3 is a good car but if you buy one, you're still want to get a 911 down the road, so just get it. That M3 will be around anytime to buy.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:45 AM
2TT930
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 997 from Porsche of Arlington, found on Porsche.com.
Found my 930 on craigslist. Ended up knowing the guy selling it.

Try True car and car gurus. True car always came up with cars I hadn't seen on previous searches.

http://www.cargurus.com/

https://usedcars.truecar.com/
Old 10-31-2014, 02:10 PM
JSE997
7th Gear

I found mine on cars.com after casually looking for about 6 months. It was a hell of a deal, one owner with full dealer service records in pristine condition. I found it on Thursday night and bought it Friday morning from a MB dealership about 2 hours away. I just knew as soon as I drove the car that it was the one for me and jumped on it. Haven't regretted it once.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:00 PM
AUAGPTPD
7th Gear

After 3-4 months of daily searching like you I found mine (cars.com) on a Saturday evening, it was posted Saturday morning. The dealer in Chicago was closed when I saw the posting, I'm in Los Angeles. I called anyway and left a message and sent an email. I called Monday morning at 8:01 am as they were opening. It was the exact car I was looking for 09 C2 black/tan, sport chrono, 25k miles, single owner, $5k below what similar cars were going for nation wide at the time (March 2014). After 20 minutes on the phone I decided to put a $1000 deposit down with my cc over the phone. I called back around lunch to go over paper work he said 7 other people called and offered more than asking but I already had it locked with my deposit. Got the car 2 weeks later and everything worked out perfectly. Best purchase of my life!

You will find your Pcar, hang in there, be patient. I don't recommend buying sight unseen without PPI. Sometimes you have to act FAST. I did and got very lucky!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:21 PM
cubsko
Intermediate

Like others, I searched for many months. I had a clear view of what I wanted in options and all the things. I also had a short list of things that I'm willing to let go (one, rear wiper), but wouldn't settle until I found it = Dealer in San Diego. I searched everyday like clockwork and there it was and I did not hesitate. Got on a plane to inspect personally and pulled the trigger, paying a tad more than I'd like, but was so worth it in the end.

I just know myself that if I did settle for something that didn't have my wish list, it would nag me to the point of finding faults every day I drove it. But I am glad I stuck to my guns. I only look for new awesome things I'm delighted in my 997.2.

Yours will 'pop' up soon enough!

Quick Reply: How did you find your car?