Sponsored by:

Just found out my CPO car had been in an accident and stolen/recovered

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by losdeanos
my 2009 997s, still under CPO and found out that before I bought the car and it was certified that it had been stolen and recovered and in some sort of wreck. The dealer said they didn't know...
Originally Posted by Iceter
Let's get the details of this alleged accident before you proceed any further. Even if there was an accient, you need to find out the extent of the damage. It could have been very minor and the second dealer is just using it as leverage to box your trade. Keep us posted.
Best advice so far.

Originally Posted by Iceter
Third, if the selling dealer did not know about the (alleged) accident and the accident didn't surpass some legal threshhold for reporting (usually the bar is a total loss) and/or didn't cause some damage that would have prevented the car from passing the Porsche CPO (for which you paid a premium), then that dealer has no legal obligation to make you "whole". Any offer of restitution or to handle your trade as an undamaged vehicle will be done on their good will, not because they have to.
If you find out it was a serious accident (wreck?) & repaired, the Porsche dealer that did the CPO inspection should have detected it & perhaps prevented from getting it Certified status. If it gets to that level of seriousness, your biggest leverage will be to contact PCNA & see if they can 'nudge' the selling dealer to help you out! PCNA takes CPO standards pretty seriously ('So go ahead & pursue your dreams')...this is the kind of bad publicity they would not like for their program! But first you need to have all your facts in good order.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

As an FYI the CPO program allows for repair/replacement of up to 2 panels.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

No big deal huh?

Get yourself the nastiest lawyer in town and sue the pants off that dealership.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:58 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,055 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Best advice so far.

If you find out it was a serious accident (wreck?) & repaired, the Porsche dealer that did the CPO inspection should have detected it & perhaps prevented from getting it Certified status. If it gets to that level of seriousness, your biggest leverage will be to contact PCNA & see if they can 'nudge' the selling dealer to help you out! PCNA takes CPO standards pretty seriously ('So go ahead & pursue your dreams')...this is the kind of bad publicity they would not like for their program! But first you need to have all your facts in good order.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Going by this sad story https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

PCNA.....

1. Does not take CPO standards "pretty seriously".
2. Doesn't care about bad publicity for the program.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Complain, threaten action, take action --> start constructive and then just become progressively more aggressive. Take it up the chain. Eventually they will care. Go above their heads. Provide facts to the forum on dealer, details, etc. if all the above fails -- be factual and honest.

Seriously, this should not be tolerated. Even though Rennlist is just a subset of owners, it is a powerful subset with lots of repeat buyers. Used car business has much better margins for dealers than the new car business. If a dealer doesn't make good in a situation like this, I would not consider a purchase from that dealer. Hopefully others on here would do the same, given we are all at risk for this behavior. These are still not mass market cars and every sale does matter, so you have leverage through publicity.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

SpeedyD nailed it ^ follow that advice right there.

Based off his 997.2 C4S rear shot it is also clear that SpeedyD is a man of wealth and taste.

If they don't make good on this prior to legal action I am very interested to know who the dealership is also so I never do business with them.

Quick Reply: Just found out my CPO car had been in an accident and stolen/recovered