Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline911
In my neighborhood 911's are a dime a dozen so I blend. At work and my daughters daycare it's a different story. I get insane amounts of envy, more than one parent suggested to the daycare director that I was endangering my child when I used to drive her to school in the 911. They came out once and hovered over me to make sure I had a proper child seat in the car (which I did of course.) Nasty looks from the other dads too since I'm sure they were just pissed that their wives have their ***** in ther purses by making them drive a Prius or similar.
So these guys are just envious or just plain jealous? Perhaps they will realize that:
1) A 911 can transport young kids safely with a child seat;
2) No one should be forced to give up their 911s to buy a minivan;
3) A 911 isn't the statement making car a CGT or a Lambo; and
4) A typical 911 driver will drive our cars safely and won't do any burnouts or drag race in residential streets.

Perhaps you can consider another daycare that is less judgmental or hostile to you and others who don't drive minivans or SUVs.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayng

Perhaps you can consider another daycare that is less judgmental or hostile to you and others who don't drive minivans or SUVs.
We did switch daycare's but not because of that. Anyway I think it demonstrates that most of the population thinks of the 911 as a statement car. They think it's a 100k car no matter the age or mileage.
In my experience people have strong pre-conceived notions of owners of these cars.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You know what's more fun than going to an Occupy Wall Street rally? Driving by in a $109,000 dollar Porsche.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

I have never, not once, encountered any of the "negative" attitudes some express above (although I did once overhear my cousin's dad say: "see, I told you he was a rich boy" when he thought I was out of ear-shot). Of course, he paid more for his SUV than I did for my car.

And, the only time I can recall ever being "challenged" to race was a couple kids in a Subaru WRX a few weeks ago, on a deserted section of a toll road (I declined). Sometimes at the gas station, people say "nice car" or similar. That's about it.

{Oh, a few weeks ago I was driving along the beach, and two boys, about 10 and 12, were walking by with their dad. One said loudly... Look! a Porsche! His brother slugged him in the arm and said: "it's Porsh...ahhhh"}
Old 05-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by dalancroft
Until recently I worked in the financial services/investment management industry and I must say, much of the wealth being earned by traders and hedge fund managers, using techniques such as flash trading and instruments like derivatives, enriches them but produces no real benefit to society. That, plus the "carried interest" earnings taxed as capital gains, not earned income, and thus at a much lower rate, are examples of why the average person is so pissed off
Hmm, San Mateo, investment management industry . . . I'm guessing FRI?
Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts
Default Financial industry observations

Until recently I worked in the financial services/investment management industry and I must say, much of the wealth being earned by traders and hedge fund managers, using techniques such as flash trading and instruments like derivatives, enriches them but produces no real benefit to society. That, plus the "carried interest" earnings taxed as capital gains, not earned income, and thus at a much lower rate, are examples of why the average person is so pissed off these days.

Also, many of the 0.001% inherited, not earned, their wealth. Waltons, Kochs ... it's a long list. Yet they act as though they are the smartest and most entitled, and know best how to run this country. It's called plutocracy.
You can't forget about the bailouts. Lots of pissed off people on both sides of the isle about that to this day and that will fester for a while. Some think chances are good a Porsche driver may be working in the financial sector and that the car could be financed to some extent - no matter how small - by tax payer money. I would never have thought of this angle but heard a subtle reference to it at a party once.

Last edited by sandwedge; 05-07-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 PM
2TT930
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Turbo badge brings a lot of hate for me here is Maryland.
Bumper riding.
Slowing down below the speed limit on a one lane road.
Obviously blocking me in on the highway so I cant merge over.
30% of cars that pass me floor the pedal to show me what they've got I guess.
People tend to see me ahead and blast by me on the hwy.
Some folks walk as close as possible to my cars at the gas station when there is nothing else around.
If I merge right for whatever reason on the hwy the person in front of me will almost always floor it to not let me pass, I'm almost never getting over to pass. so I do get a chuckle from that.

Had 2 guys in 996's stink eye me big time when i waved.
Both were c2 convertibles with their woman in the pass seat.
All other p drivers are friendly.

I do get tons of compliments. Even from mustang guys.
First they will stare me down in their rear views but when I get next to them at the light I get a very polite "nice car man".
Kids pointing is great aswell.

Had a guy in a new corvette the other day clearly want to race me. I was happy to play alittle with that car but there was a car infront on me. So I nicely go around the car and attempt the get next to the vent to play but he wasnt having it now that there was room. Just kept speeding up slowly so we couldnt get even. Oh well!

I mostly get dirty looks and shaking heads. The shaking head I havent figured out the meaning yet.

I do look extremely young for my age though. I'm sure that has alot to do with it.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 AM
mopar bob
Pro

I had a young guy in a Nissan sedan the other day doing like 90 and he got behind traffic and my lane so I went by so he got in the and went by at about 90 again. This time there was a cop with radar. We always called this c--k envy. I have been in car clubs since the 70's and this sort of thing was there. When you have a bad *** car someone will want to show off. The dick's were always there and that will never change. Well that guy in the minivan lets just say , he gave up his man card so he has to prove that he still has a set to him self. The poor guy.
I have only have a few cars in my life that women tell that I have a nice car. The last one was a 66 Dodge. So enjoy the positive and don't dwell on the negative.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

this summarizes my daily commute

Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
douchebags outnumber regular folk by scores
Does that make them the regular folk?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the irony is many, if not MOST, of us (at least here) bought our cars because of the performance and highly unique and satisfying driving experience...not as status symbols.

There are no doubt a lot of P car owners that just bit off a huge payment early in life or came from money, etc that have always driven higher end cars and are used to it or even oblivious to any negative attention now. (believe me, at 46 yo my only regret was not buying a car sooner) I also think many of us worked and risked a LOT to get where we are today, to a point to be able to truly afford an extra car like this. And we're probably a little more sensitive to people judging us by what they THINK the reason is we bought our cars.

In my effort to change world I take people for rides all the time...all you have to do is ask or show interest. Some "get it" afterward, even non car people, they talk about the nuances of what they're feeling as they ride along and you can see the gears turning in their head afterward as they walk around the car again looking at more subtle things this time. Then there's Johnny High-Five..."That was great man! I can't be gone too long, gotta get back and head to Costco!"...no hope for this guy, he has not soul. And then there are the wives/moms that like to snicker the "mid life crisis" line to my wife...who sets their $hit straight immediately about how and why I drive a Porsche specifically. And finally the wives that say "hey, when do I get my ride!?"...and everything is right in the universe again.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:48 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Not much problem with tailgaters in Oregon. All one need to do is go the speed limit and you'll pass 'em like they are standing still. (a bit of exaggeration there, but mostly true)

The thing with Boxter drivers though...they do seem oblivious to those of us with the 'better' PCar...lol
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wheeler
I also think many of us worked and risked a LOT to get where we are today, to a point to be able to truly afford an extra car like this.
That's another thing - people assume a 911 is an extra car - that a family will have one car per driver plus a 911, if they have a 911. That isn't necessarily the case. When we bought our first 911, we had the one 911 and one MX-5, and that was all the cars we had. We have no kids, but we did own a home, and a bit of creative packing made that work just fine. The 911 was actually the first car we had with more than 2 seats in quite some time!

We now have four vehicles for two drivers, all of them "fun" on some level, but that happens when you're DINK and both have car hobbies.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by equiraptor
That's another thing - people assume a 911 is an extra car - that a family will have one car per driver plus a 911, if they have a 911. That isn't necessarily the case. When we bought our first 911, we had the one 911 and one MX-5, and that was all the cars we had. We have no kids, but we did own a home, and a bit of creative packing made that work just fine. The 911 was actually the first car we had with more than 2 seats in quite some time!

We now have four vehicles for two drivers, all of them "fun" on some level, but that happens when you're DINK and both have car hobbies.
I guess you can get away with using a 911 as a daily driver when living in a part of the country with relatively nice weather throughout the year, but I can't see doing that living in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern States. My fun cars have always been weekend warriors and I had an SUV to handle the bad weather conditions.

My wife and I were fortunate to be able to have a third weekend car starting in our early 30's. It's interesting how the attitudes of friends and people changed towards me driving cars like BMWs and Corvettes as I got older. In my 30's, people said the cars were cool, and someday they want to have one too. In my 40's, the wives mostly, called my fun cars a middle aged crisis. Now that I'm 60 and my hair has turned gray, mostly everyone seems to think it's great that I still get a lot of enjoyment from my cars. I also get many more thumbs up and positive comments from neighboring drivers when stopped at traffic lights now, but maybe that's because more people like Porsches than they do Corvettes?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Also, many of the 0.001% inherited, not earned, their wealth. Waltons, Kochs ... it's a long list.
That's not actually as rampant as you seem to suggest.

Let's start with the top 3 on the Forbes 400:

Bill Gates
Warren Buffett
Larry Ellison

No great inherited family wealth there - but they top the list. Going further down, we see:

Michael Bloomberg, Sheldon Adelson, Jeff Bezos, Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Zuckerberg, Carl Icahn, Michael Dell, George Soros, Steve Ballmer, Steve Jobs (now deceased), Paul Allen, Ralph Lauren, John Menard, David Geffen, Charles Schwab, Reid Hoffman, George Lucas, John Paul deJoria, David Sun, Ross Perot, Donald Trump, Steven Spielberg, Steve Wynn, Fred deLuca, Richard Schulze, Mark Cuban, Stanley Hubbard, Ted Turner, Howard Schulz, Thomas Siebel, Meg Whitman, Eric Lefkofsky, Roger Penske......

Are there some trust fund kids? Sure, but US inheritance laws prevent the buildup of tremendous levels of multi-generational dynastic wealth. The great majority of the wealthiest people here did something to earn it, and the vast majority of their great-grandchildren won't be at the same level of wealth unless they themselves do something to earn it.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?