997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014 | 08:26 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

My 86 year old Aunt insists that I bring the Turbo when we visit. It's hard for her to get in and out, she hates the sound of my after market exhaust, and she hits me if I really step on it. But she still loves driving around in the car. A couple months ago we took her out for a meal. I was very happy to find a parking spot right in front of the restaurant. It ended up turning into a bit of a spectacle as she refuses help and took at least 5 minutes to get out of the car. Lol
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:14 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Ya but what fun is it to drive an SUV yuck

But lots of guys park em for the winter. I dont get it but i dont get lots of things people do with their Pcars and I am sure the feelings mutual

Enjoy the warmer weather
I want to drive a TT all year round, even in Toronto. That is why I have a TT for winter and rainy days and a TTS cab for nice days.
Old 05-07-2014 | 09:22 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

I kinda had a feeling that things were different in my new-to-me P car. After I started reading this thread yesterday, I noticed 2 cars not letting me merge or speeding up as I passed. I don't know if it was real or not. I often notice people will speed up by a couple miles an hour when you are passing them on the freeway no metter what car you are driving--I almost think it is unconscious, or they notice they are going slower than normal and accelerate to get to a normal speed--its something I have noticed for several years.

Regarding haters, I let it go. I am happy, they are obviously not.

Like most of you--I experience more admirers than detractors.
Old 05-07-2014 | 10:46 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Only in my ride now for about 18 months. I only recall one hater. I moved into his right hand lane with plenty of space to move on over to the right hand turn lane. He decided to drive as close as he possibly could down my left hand side. No contact. Just rage. Sad.

All other times, I'm just another car on the road or compliments from others. A great conversation starter at the hotel parking lot or gas station.

I certainly could have been oblivious to other haters/ragers but as has been said before on this forum...it's about the smiles per mile.

Keep smilin'
Old 05-07-2014 | 11:33 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Originally Posted by Redline911
In my neighborhood 911's are a dime a dozen so I blend. At work and my daughters daycare it's a different story. I get insane amounts of envy, more than one parent suggested to the daycare director that I was endangering my child when I used to drive her to school in the 911. They came out once and hovered over me to make sure I had a proper child seat in the car (which I did of course.) Nasty looks from the other dads too since I'm sure they were just pissed that their wives have their ***** in ther purses by making them drive a Prius or similar.
It is interesting that where 911's are common someone gets inspected to make sure the car is safe for a child. I have, I think, one of two 911's in my rural county and a couple years ago while picking up my grandson at daycare, the lady behind me in line who was driving a beat up mini van said to me "that is sure a nice car for hauling around a young'un.... What is it anyway....a Maazduh?" My grandson, not missing a beat said "no, it is a Porsche" (pronounced correctly).

Very few folks on the roads here locally have a real knowledge of the Porsche.
Old 05-08-2014 | 01:12 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
The richest person in the world is the one with good enough health to maintain their personal freedom. I worked in nursing homes, once that happens nobody cares what you drove or how many sq feet you commanded, the only distinctions are bathrobes.

PS If someone (anyone) loves you then you are CGT rich.
Best post in the thread!! Thanks for that thought

Tom
Old 05-08-2014 | 01:23 AM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
It is interesting that where 911's are common someone gets inspected to make sure the car is safe for a child. I have, I think, one of two 911's in my rural county and a couple years ago while picking up my grandson at daycare, the lady behind me in line who was driving a beat up mini van said to me "that is sure a nice car for hauling around a young'un.... What is it anyway....a Maazduh?" My grandson, not missing a beat said "no, it is a Porsche" (pronounced correctly).

Maybe so in NC but seriously, a Maazduh?
Old 05-08-2014 | 06:38 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

All small convertibles are miatas, you know. Not everyone speak Japanese and can remember fancy works like that, though.
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:26 AM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Coincident
I want to drive a TT all year round, even in Toronto. That is why I have a TT for winter and rainy days and a TTS cab for nice days.
Show off!!

Are you bringing the coupe to Mosport for the DE this weekend?
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:54 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I have, I think, one of two 911's in my rural county a

[...].

Interesting. I drove by one of the P-car dealerships in western NC (smaller town) last week and saw a lot more inventory than I'm used to seeing in the two much larger cities I live/work in. I guess it depends on where you are....
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:58 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Maybe I am oblivious or maybe because I live in an area where Porsches are as "exotic" as a Prius, but no haters, no stares, nobody who wants to race me on my commute in my DD C4S.
Most of the times cars move out of my way. It was a different story while I still had a Boxster, I got way less respect.
I usually run into at least one jerk when I go to a racetrack in "California Redneck Country", a.k.a. the Central Valley
Old 05-08-2014 | 03:07 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Interesting. I drove by one of the P-car dealerships in western NC (smaller town) last week and saw a lot more inventory than I'm used to seeing in the two much larger cities I live/work in. I guess it depends on where you are....
Yes, you are correct. (Asheville or Hickory?....Hickory part of a larger chain of dealers I think) I am over an hour away from a Pcar dealer and in rural southeastern NC, I admit that I don't have to drive too far for the car to become "more common", but close to home, not so common.
Old 05-08-2014 | 03:29 PM
englebert
Instructor

I get a fair amount of respect in the C4S on the freeway; i think people assume it's like a supercar; it feels slow compared to the Turbo S!

It's not the sort of car where anyone would say "nice car though" - for some reason i think Porsches generate envy from that front here in the UK. I've not used it much as a D/D yet, but imagine it'll be the sort of car where i'm not let out of side turns very often...!
Old 05-09-2014 | 12:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Most comments are favorable--"love the color!"
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:32 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
Show off!!

Are you bringing the coupe to Mosport for the DE this weekend?
Unfortunately am in the process of moving this week.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?