Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not sure I see the class hatred.

The people I deal with at work and in my neighborhood have no idea what the P car costs. I live in a non upscale locale and have a non upscale job. Most folks seem to understand that the Porsche is expensive but they also know that it is not their cup of tea so I get none of the reaction I read about on this thread. Many aspire to own a Mercedes or a high end Cadillac. Most admire my car and wave. Interestingly enough, I have been snubbed by other Porsche drivers though.
Another point is that some of the SUV's and the pick ups that are mentioned in this thread cost 80 percent of the cost of my Pcar and I bought it new. One neighbor just paid almost 80K for a Cadillac SUV. For those who bought a previously owned Porsche, many of the high end SUV's retailed for more and sometimes quite a bit more.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:53 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've purchased most of my cars used. Most people don't know that most used Porsches are actually pretty affordable, reliable and not too expensive to maintain (or insure). So I don't get the class hatred/jealousy/envy vibe from neighbors and friends. For most, it's easier to get a Porsche than to get a nice house in an exclusive neighborhood. Most people I know don't know the difference between a Boxster and a GT2RS.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:18 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The most common issue that I face in my C4S is as follows:

[...]
As I begin to pass the car, they speed up. If I speed up, they will match it, or even speed up more. Sometimes they'll get up to 15 or 20 mph above the speed limit. Eventually, they brake hard and go back to their original speed, and I move into the middle lane ahead of them. It's sort of a "passive aggressive" thing. It happens all the time.
Sometimes, that driver is checking out your car and admiring - just getting a good look.

When I first started racing I towed on an open trailer, and this behavior really infuriated me - people slowing down or speeding up to ride right next to my trailer. Then I noticed that someone in the car was generally looking over at the race car and grinning, or pointing it out to another passenger.

After I figure that out, it never bothered me again. Same thing happens in the C2S. While I didn't buy it to attract attention, I don't see any reason to get uptight when people go out of their way to have a look.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It used to be that Americans did not envy their rich neighbors, as they knew it was up to them to do well (and still is). Today, however, the narrative from the top is that the 'rich' do not deserve their wealth, and all must have an equal outcome. It's that narrative that is corroding society even if when tried elsewhere it led to no good for all.
I think there is more to it here. Our culture is one that tries to tear down leaders and successful people ( we must find some dirt on them). We "like to see them fall". As a society, it gives us great satisfaction. How many movies have been made where the authorities ( stupid government, stupid scientists) could not solve the crisis at hand but a guy with his pickup, shotgun and dog save the world from .... pick one ( commies, aliens , eathquakes, etc). The "everyman" winning over the establishment is a theme that has been around for a long, long time. And if there is no real answer is sight, pick a group and blame it on them ( insert minority or other segment here!).
Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
I live in the Atlanta suburbs and drive my P car to work a couple of times a week. For frame of reference my DD is a Toyota 4Runner. Lately I have experienced more P car haters on the road. Guys in Sonatas, Altimas and the like who want to race me at every light, idiots in SUV's and over sized pickups who want to ride your bumper every chance they get, and then there are the guys who aren't happy that you are doing 40 mph in a 35 mph zone and want to ride your bumper and flash their lights at you until you either turn or speed up. When I am in my DD I never have these issues.

I can't speak for everyone but until two years ago when I could finally make my Porsche dream a reality I was never a hater, but I sure did check out the other P cars and admire them.

I'm curious, has anyone else out there experienced similar behavior from other drivers?
douchebags outnumber regular folk by scores
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

For me 90% of the time it's positive comments or interaction. The other 10% it's negative. But for me I really enjoy the negative.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure what all the references to Mustangs and Corvettes is all about. Many of these cars are capable of running circles around our 911's so I think we sound a bit ridiculous when we say they all cut us off or have some sort of envy.

Keep in mind many of their owners also love Porsches and might even own one too.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

People are usually ok with me. If they want to race - I let them go. If it is a corner, I usually leave them in the dust.
I will usually pull down my window and complement them first. I have done this with VW GTi, Subaru BRZ's, Nissan Z, S2k guys. They feel much better about P car guys. Just be nicer and everything will be better for all of us. I started with VW, Hondas. We all have to start somewhere.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rayng
Most people I know don't know the difference between a Boxster and a GT2RS.
This
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" George Carlin
Carlin has had some of the most astute observations ever made. He's spot-on with this one.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (05-14-2024)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Sometimes, that driver is checking out your car and admiring - just getting a good look.

When I first started racing I towed on an open trailer, and this behavior really infuriated me - people slowing down or speeding up to ride right next to my trailer. Then I noticed that someone in the car was generally looking over at the race car and grinning, or pointing it out to another passenger.

After I figure that out, it never bothered me again. Same thing happens in the C2S. While I didn't buy it to attract attention, I don't see any reason to get uptight when people go out of their way to have a look.
It doesn't bother me when they take a look and then move on, or when traffic isn't an issue. But when they're sitting just to my left and I turn on my left turn signal, looking to pass someone in the right lane ahead... Either back off a bit, or pass me. Don't just sit off my bumper when you can see the traffic ahead. Sometimes they can't see the turn signal, I'm sure. But they can see the traffic ahead. I'll also do things like move to the left side of the lane to try to communicate my intent, but when they're not thinking and planning, that doesn't mean much.

Don't get me wrong - I don't harbor hate or resentment toward them, and I'm glad for their appreciation of the car. It'd just be nice if they would put driving safely and politely at a higher priority than ogling the car. If they do that, it'll still be around for them to ogle after we pass the traffic (and they'll get a friendly smile and wave).
Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

There are a lot of car enthusiasts in the Bay Area (and generally in CA) so I am more likely to get the thumbs-up or hammer down, and be given some distance and/or be allowed to pass (on 2 lane roads) more frequently than not.

Those drivers that can't seem to stay off the fat tush (or the SC's slimmer one), are allowed to pass and mess with someone else...most of the time.

Originally Posted by Riz
People are usually ok with me. If they want to race - I let them go. If it is a corner, I usually leave them in the dust.
This is just what I do...Don't ya love the corners!

Originally Posted by Riz
I will usually pull down my window and complement them first. I have done this with VW GTi, Subaru BRZ's, Nissan Z, S2k guys. They feel much better about P car guys. Just be nicer and everything will be better for all of us. I started with VW, Hondas. We all have to start somewhere.
This is so true (and does not apply to only this subject). Take an interest in someone else (or their stuff) and they will feel better about you (well, actually themselves but it is complicated!).
Old 05-06-2014, 06:29 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
douchebags outnumber regular folk by scores
Post of the month!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayng
I've purchased most of my cars used. Most people don't know that most used Porsches are actually pretty affordable, reliable and not too expensive to maintain (or insure). So I don't get the class hatred/jealousy/envy vibe from neighbors and friends. For most, it's easier to get a Porsche than to get a nice house in an exclusive neighborhood. Most people I know don't know the difference between a Boxster and a GT2RS.
In my neighborhood 911's are a dime a dozen so I blend. At work and my daughters daycare it's a different story. I get insane amounts of envy, more than one parent suggested to the daycare director that I was endangering my child when I used to drive her to school in the 911. They came out once and hovered over me to make sure I had a proper child seat in the car (which I did of course.) Nasty looks from the other dads too since I'm sure they were just pissed that their wives have their ***** in ther purses by making them drive a Prius or similar.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:47 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
It used to be that Americans did not envy their rich neighbors, as they knew it was up to them to do well (and still is). Today, however, the narrative from the top is that the 'rich' do not deserve their wealth, and all must have an equal outcome. It's that narrative that is corroding society even if when tried elsewhere it led to no good for all.
Until recently I worked in the financial services/investment management industry and I must say, much of the wealth being earned by traders and hedge fund managers, using techniques such as flash trading and instruments like derivatives, enriches them but produces no real benefit to society. That, plus the "carried interest" earnings taxed as capital gains, not earned income, and thus at a much lower rate, are examples of why the average person is so pissed off these days.

Also, many of the 0.001% inherited, not earned, their wealth. Waltons, Kochs ... it's a long list. Yet they act as though they are the smartest and most entitled, and know best how to run this country. It's called plutocracy.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?