Sponsored by:

Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
All of the above. Nearly every time I'm in the car. Depends on my mood as to how I handle it. Stupid kids in mustangs are the most annoying. Then there is the non love from other P car owners... which is even more bizarre.
I will agree that people tend to want to "race" you or not let you in - usually impotent dudes in minivans, Subarus, and sport-cutes. I attribute this to "short man" auto syndrome, which dictates that the guy driving the Honda feels insufficient next to the 911 (and who wouldn't) and it's a reaction that comes out of insecurity.

I just ignore it.

However, I find that fellow P-car drivers are very cordial to you, and let you merge in when they can. Never had a problem with that. Total opposite of the BMW crowd.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I was at the track this weekend and friday night had to go to the local store to grab some coffee etc, I guy asked if he could come as he had never been in a 911 and currently drives a Subaru and some type of fancy VW Golf.
We went on our way as he asked questions and then on the way back once oil temp hit 200 I accelarated through 2nd and third to 7000 rpm. He ways amazed at how the car pulls through the rpm range and was flat out "this is my next car".

I almost universally get compliments on the car and I am always asked by my two teenager daughters to pick them up in the car from school specially if the boys teams are practicing nearby. Even though they have a small back pack they make it a point to stand in front of the car and ask for the frunk to be opened to throw crap inside. They do it so the guys can ask questions later. Of course with my fisters they also ask that I rev it up as I am leaving.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:20 PM
SJ992
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice!
Old 05-14-2024, 04:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I will agree that people tend to want to "race" you or not let you in - usually impotent dudes in minivans, Subarus, and sport-cutes. I attribute this to "short man" auto syndrome, which dictates that the guy driving the Honda feels insufficient next to the 911 (and who wouldn't) and it's a reaction that comes out of insecurity.
May be a matter of where you live. Florida has a lot of very wealthy people but it also has a fair share of rednecks with large, lifted loud pickup trucks. These guys definitely have an attitude and expensive sport cars seems to bring out the worst in them to the point of acting dangerously on the road. When one approaches from behind, usually at high speed, I just try to stay as far away from them as I can and not take the bait. Good possibility there's a loaded weapon of some sort in many of these trucks so yes......best to ignore them and steer clear.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:04 AM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Never an issue

I must be lucky, but where I live in Northern New Jersey - My 911 gets all the treatment it deserves, I always get waved by, people let me in, alway get thumbs up and smiles, not sure if it is the color or what, but people love my 997, nothing but love.

Old 05-14-2024, 11:39 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 421 Posts

Necothread Revival
Old 05-14-2024, 11:50 AM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rayng
... Most people I know don't know the difference between a Boxster and a GT2RS.
Ain't that the truth. I have a co-worker who says he's a car guy. He asks me almost every day when we leave work if he can sit in it because he likes to work the shifter and play with the interior. The other day we had a client meeting and I said something along the lines of "we can take the Carrera", he said "oh, it's a Carrera, I thought it was a Porsche?".
Old 05-14-2024, 02:06 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^That guy might be hitting on you, just saying.

How different is 2014 from now? Great resurrection! I don't think anybody where I live even cares about cars enough to notice a 911.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:16 PM
demon_speeding
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by myltz400
^^^That guy might be hitting on you, just saying.

How different is 2014 from now? Great resurrection! I don't think anybody where I live even cares about cars enough to notice a 911.

Lol. My wife made a similar joke. I think he just wants to be one of "the boys". He just doesn't know much about cars. He thinks my biggest mechanical concern right now is that the red paint on my calipers is faded. I need to replace the worn suspension before I start painting calipers bud.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:04 PM
digs
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I get tailgated all the time , everyone wants to race ? Why they think they can win is puzzling ? I drive easy and just cruse around and avoid getting tickets .

It gets annoying , but that's the price of having something special ?

Also why I prefer silver cars , if they aren't paying attention they miss me !
Old 05-14-2024, 11:56 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by RNGRICK
I must be lucky, but where I live in Northern New Jersey - My 911 gets all the treatment it deserves, I always get waved by, people let me in, alway get thumbs up and smiles, not sure if it is the color or what, but people love my 997, nothing but love.

Rick, I'll go out on a limb and posit that your license plate frame might have some influence on why asshat motorists decide not to f*ck with you.
Just a guess...

I got flipped off driving my GTS in Maine, North Dakota and eastern Oregon. All for approaching to pass and flashing my brights requesting they pull into the empty right lane.

Once in a while on LA freeways, while passing through light traffic, some dude in a sh*itbox without A/C (windows down at 90 deg) will cut me off and chase me down no matter how much distance I put between us. It happens. I slow down and so does he. I speed up and he follows, overtakes and then slows. Makes no sense.

The boy racers in the canyons and mountains around there will catch up and tailgate, but will pass if waved on. Not that many hang with my pace, but I have no ego and let them pass if they do. Never try to outrun them in the twisties is my mantra. Easier to follow than lead on those roads. Leader finds rocks and wet patches and announces them with a swerve or brake lights.
The following users liked this post:
fiddlesticks (05-16-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 03:38 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

There is a mystique and stereotype that is associated with Porsches and drivers, not all positive. I've owned and driven these cars since 2007 and have seen/experienced ALL types of negative drivers and behavior, except someone pulling a gun or aggressively trying to drive me off the road (thankfully). Like Liste-Renn, I drive with no ego. If anyone is highly motivated to pass me, I let them go. I don't chase down anyone if they cut me off, I don't flash anyone because they don't receive it the right way, and I give people 10-15 seconds and 2-3 car lengths of space and never ride on anyone's bumper before I pass on the right because there is no other option and the drivers refuse to move over.

I do a lot of road trips (mostly in WA, OR, and CA) and way too many drivers insist on driving/cruising in the passing lane. Some actually believe it is their civic duty to enforce the speed limit and intentionally stay in the passing lane to regulate the speed to the speed limit. WA state had to pass a law about 10 years ago that would ticket such drivers because the state realized it was more unsafe to have slow drivers continually driving slowly in the passing lane and having faster drivers passing them on the right, let alone the road rage that this behavior inspired. State troopers were interviewed and stated they would totally ignore drivers who were speeding (mostly 10 MPH over the limit) and would actively ticket drivers who were driving the limit or less if they were intentionally blocking the flow of traffic.

As with many other Porsche drivers, I see too many cars pulling up next to me revving their engines and wanting to "race" (whatever that means on the street). I never engage. Street racing is a stupid activity, let alone unsafe. Most recently I had a motorcyclist try to race me when I was in So CA for Air|Water. He pulled up on a very loud Harley or similar bike and over-revved his bike. It was extremely loud and actually hurt my ears because I had my windows down. Totally pissed me off because it was completely un-necessary. I let him ride off as the pompous *** he was. At the next light, I could hear him talking to another motorist saying "I tried to race that Porsche but he was too chicken to race!" The other driver looked back at me and ask "Why won't you race him?!" Total idiots.

Behavior like this comes with the territory of owning/driving a Porsche or any other sports/exotic car. I do appreciate those who give a thumbs up or wave hello. Not everyone is a jerk, but in my experience. there are enough to inspire a thread like this, unfortunately.
The following 3 users liked this post by Busta Rib:
fiddlesticks (05-16-2024), Hootsama (05-15-2024), sandwedge (05-18-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 09:30 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Got a lot more hate in my cayenne. Waiting for my wife outside a shopping center with windows down and kids in car seats. Some guy says "I guess rich a..holes can park where they want.

Still no reactions, race posturing or attitude at all from 911s in my experience.

P.S. I do drive like a granny in traffic. Oh and you would get shoot where I live flashing lights for someone to move over. Not sure this can be done politely here

Last edited by myltz400; 05-15-2024 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:02 PM
SpectreH
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

I haven’t really experienced hate in the Oklahoma City area. I’ve had a few Altimas and the like want to race on the interstate, but nothing overly obnoxious. Occasionally a teen will lower his/her window and rev at a stop light just to hear what the 911 sounds like. They give the thumbs up and don’t try to race.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:21 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Really not much reaction with the Cayenne but the 911 seems like a magnet for everyone who wants to race, particularly pick up trucks, or anyone with a chip on their shoulder.

Quick Reply: Why All The Porsche Haters Out There?