Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed on my 997.2 today. It was slightly different but it was exactly what I anticipated as I knew the back of the PCM 3.0 is totally different and doesn't have an accessory wire to tap.

Used a fuse tap and grabbed power from the empty fuse slot C1. Installed the mic right beside the sun visor but not on it for best sound quality on calls(it's excellent). Ran the wire through the A pillar and to the outside door seal trim as show for a completely hidden installation. Routed the wire and bundled it with negative and positive wire coming out of the fuse box, bundled these together and ran them under the dash and into the tranzit unit. Used double sided stick velcro to attach the tranzit unit to the metal behind the PCM so it doesn't flop around or become disconnected. Works like a charm and really good sound quality. Couldn't be happier with the product to be honest. Few random pictures showing where I got power and how I routed the wiring.

The only other major difference between the 997.1 and 997.2 is that a white towel works better
Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

^^ thank you so much! fuse tape quite a brilliant idea imo.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM
pugwonk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed mine, many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. A couple of things to add on the install:

* Rather than splice into the wires behind the PCM, I used a fuse doubler like
this one this one
. It means you don't have to cut cables at all, and it also allows you to very easily change the power behaviour of the device (on all the time/on with key in/on with ignition). Looks like Ezkill used one of these too above. If you want it to come on when the key goes in the ignition (which I think makes the most sense) then fuse B8 is a good candidate.
* After fumbling around for a while with the microphone cable, I ended up poking it under the rubber weather sealer that goes around the door frame. This has a few advantages... firstly the mic is hanging out of the door frame rather than on the visor, so putting the visor up and down doesn't stretch the cable or move the mic. Secondly, the weather sealer goes all the way down to the fuse box cover, which means you can turn the corner there and route the cable just above the driver's feet across to the back of the PCM.

A couple of notes on the device itself:

* The audio quality is good (better than the FM transmitter I was using before) but, as others have said, it's still not CD. I notice a bit of whisper on high-frequency notes or speech.
* This might be a phone/player issue (Nexus 5/streaming Google Play Music) but, in between tracks, the phone stops broadcasting to Bluetooth and the Tranzit allows the radio sound back through. So when I'm changing tracks there's a couple of seconds of quiet static.
* Their Android app is kind of crap. The UI is rotten and it doesn't connect half the time. Fortunately, you don't really need to use it.

If anyone is interested I can take a couple of pics of my microphone cable routing.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:31 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

i would apprecaite that greatly!

thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by pugwonk
Installed mine, many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. A couple of things to add on the install:

* Rather than splice into the wires behind the PCM, I used a fuse doubler like this one. It means you don't have to cut cables at all, and it also allows you to very easily change the power behaviour of the device (on all the time/on with key in/on with ignition). Looks like Ezkill used one of these too above. If you want it to come on when the key goes in the ignition (which I think makes the most sense) then fuse B8 is a good candidate.
* After fumbling around for a while with the microphone cable, I ended up poking it under the rubber weather sealer that goes around the door frame. This has a few advantages... firstly the mic is hanging out of the door frame rather than on the visor, so putting the visor up and down doesn't stretch the cable or move the mic. Secondly, the weather sealer goes all the way down to the fuse box cover, which means you can turn the corner there and route the cable just above the driver's feet across to the back of the PCM.

A couple of notes on the device itself:

* The audio quality is good (better than the FM transmitter I was using before) but, as others have said, it's still not CD. I notice a bit of whisper on high-frequency notes or speech.
* This might be a phone/player issue (Nexus 5/streaming Google Play Music) but, in between tracks, the phone stops broadcasting to Bluetooth and the Tranzit allows the radio sound back through. So when I'm changing tracks there's a couple of seconds of quiet static.
* Their Android app is kind of crap. The UI is rotten and it doesn't connect half the time. Fortunately, you don't really need to use it.

If anyone is interested I can take a couple of pics of my microphone cable routing.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We tried running the mic wire under the A pillar trim by the windshield but couldn't get it to slip inside. Idk if it being full leather was the issue vs the partial, but it wouldn't go no matter what. Thought of running it under the seal, but my interior is sand beige and the black wire going across the A pillar at the top stood out like a sore thumb. Decided to tuck it into the instrument cluster between the analog speedo and tach. It works great, with the one issue being if I'm at a light with the turn sigs on the clicking can be heard quite distinctly by the caller, so if you need to disguise the fact you're in the car, it might not be the ideal location.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:08 PM
pugwonk
Track Day

Originally Posted by myw
i would apprecaite that greatly!

thank you in advance.
Couple of pics - I ended up leaving it hanging out of the rubber seal at the top. It actually doesn't look all that odd in real life (it's not very noticeable) and it doesn't move around when you put the sun visor up and down. The wire is pretty easy to get under the seal and can be routed nicely out of the bottom of it behind the dash.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Idk, I'm just the overly-perfectionist type and it bothers me when an aftermarket solution sticks out obviously in plain sight like hanging out of a door seal. FWIW here's mine. I used flash so it would show clearly, but actually it's hidden in shadow under the cowl.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
pugwonk
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Idk, I'm just the perfectionist type and it bothers me when an aftermarket solution sticks out obviously like that. FWIW here's mine: https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-2-1-photo.jpg
I quite like yours, was pondering about doing that but wasn't sure if the audio would be decent. Truthfully I wasn't too bothered about the phone aspect of the whole device as nobody really calls me any more these days, so I wanted to just stick it somewhere and see if I used it at all...

Chris
Old 09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Couple of pics - I ended up leaving it hanging out of the rubber seal at the top. It actually doesn't look all that odd in real life (it's not very noticeable) and it doesn't move around when you put the sun visor up and down. The wire is pretty easy to get under the seal and can be routed nicely out of the bottom of it behind the dash.
I did mine the same way, the only difference is I started the cable on the other side of the A Pillar towards the middle of the car. I took the end with the 3.5mm connector and made a loop and fed it from the middle of the car through the A Pillar and pulled the cable through and then ran it down through the weather stripping to the fuse box.

I've actually moved the mic around a few times now and I'm still getting a horrible issue with echo on the other end. Tranzit says the mic location is too close to a speaker but I've run out of places to move it. I can't seem to resolve the echo. Sounds fine on my end but not on the callers end. I may buy a different mic as this is starting to become an annoying problem. I tried to actually put the mic in the factory steering column location but my car already has a mic there and I didn't want to remove it. I may try it in the gauge cluster when I get some free time as a last resort.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM
uberm3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the install this weekend. Straight forward enough.

The button I located in the left side of the cubby below the PCM, mounted upside down, so its hidden. Very easy to find while driving.

I located the mic in the steering column factory location, which was pretty easy. Getting some complaints that its difficult to hear, so I might try to relocate it and see if it helps.

Also getting some intermittent static at high volume on phone calls only - wondering if this is my iPhone4 or some other issue. Anyone else notice this?

The audio sound quality through the FM antenna is more than acceptable - I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore, so Spotify was a must have for me. I've also grown to appreciate the factory PCM look/integration.

Overall I'm happy with this setup. Can't be beat for the money and simplicity.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

This is exactly how I ran mine - perfect!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 PM
uberm3
Advanced

can someone who has this installed run a test for me?

Pair your iPhone with the Tranzit blu, but don't stream anything. Turn the volume up and listen for static/white noise that increases in volume for a few second and then resets to the lowest initial volume?

Trying to understand if I'm the only person having this issue (its very audible during phone calls when no voice in transmitting).

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I installed this in my 997.1 GT3 a little while ago and hid my wires even more so . I ran it from the fuse panel up inside the dash then up inside the a-piller following other factory wiring. So even if you removed the a-piller you wouldnt even notice it. I also wanted a completely stealth install and didnt want the mic or button sticking out anywhere. So this is what I did:

Here is a pic where I installed the mic. I have the cover removed to show. The pop in/out cover I dremeled a large hole and covered with speaker grill cloth. I also covered the other side pop out cover in grill cloth so it would all match. I wanted to do something stealth and refused to just clip mount the mic to the a-piller. I also hid the green button inside the center console ashtray, so i just flip that open when i want to use it, and can close it and have it completely out of sight. I filed the plastic down a little inside the ashtray where the wire comes through to not put any pressure on the wire.

Ive had no issues with people not being able to hear me, and im in a GT3 with headers, 200 cell cats, and bypass.

And lastly, closed and out of sight

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM
uberm3
Advanced

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I installed this in my 997.1 GT3 a little while ago and hid my wires even more so . I ran it from the fuse panel up inside the dash then up inside the a-piller following other factory wiring. So even if you removed the a-piller you wouldnt even notice it. I also wanted a completely stealth install and didnt want the mic or button sticking out anywhere. So this is what I did:

Here is a pic where I installed the mic. I have the cover removed to show. The pop in/out cover I dremeled a large hole and covered with speaker grill cloth. I also covered the other side pop out cover in grill cloth so it would all match. I wanted to do something stealth and refused to just clip mount the mic to the a-piller. I also hid the green button inside the center console ashtray, so i just flip that open when i want to use it, and can close it and have it completely out of sight. I filed the plastic down a little inside the ashtray where the wire comes through to not put any pressure on the wire.

Ive had no issues with people not being able to hear me, and im in a GT3 with headers, 200 cell cats, and bypass.
Do you get any white noise during silence in phone calls, or when you aren't streaming music?
Thanks!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by uberm3
Do you get any white noise during silence in phone calls, or when you aren't streaming music?
Thanks!
No I dont have this issue

Quick Reply: TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1