Sponsored by:

URGENT PLS. Engine broke. Car stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by djskimo
The images below should help explain more. There is a ramp going down and is pretty steep, although the images don't show that angle well. The bump is placed at the bottom of the ramp. So if you have a low car (ex: the 997.2 GTS that comes 20mm lowered from factory), when the back wheels touch the floor coming down from the ramp, the bump (which is ON the ramp) will be at a much higher elevation than the actual height of the bump relative to the wheels. So you hit.

A guy in a 991 and another in a quattroporte where both complaining about this same bump. I also heard this happened to THREE other people before. Same location, same thing, OIL all over the place.

Anybody have any idea what the price of an oil sump/pan is? Or where to look this up? Car getting towed to dealer in the AM but would like to be armed with knowledge and some pricing options.

Oil pan for Carrera 4 GTS - $361

Part # 29 here http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...iagram=F404045
Old 12-23-2013, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by djskimo
A guy in a 991 and another in a quattroporte where both complaining about this same bump. I also heard this happened to THREE other people before. Same location, same thing, OIL all over the place.
Impossible to understand why the operator of that garage insists on keeping the design of that bump considering the history of it. I can think of a number of simple and inexpensive modifications where the bump would slow down traffic just the same without serial destroying oil pans on cars passing over it. If nothing else you'd think they would tire of cleaning up oils spills all the time and clue in.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:50 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Hopefully it's just the oil pan. You may want to consider adding the Porsche skid plate to protect the replacement oil pan or just get a thicker oil pan like the one from FVD. I've been very happy with the FVD pan and baffle I installed earlier this year. It's built like a tank, has fins to help cool the oil engine, and adds some extra oil capacity... plus the baffles help with the potential of oil starvation. Some more details within this DIY re the FVD pan. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post10245275 GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

The issue I am having now is putting the car in Neutral and still being able to get the key out. Doesn't allow me to pull the key out if it's not in Park. Car needs to be towed for over an hour and I am afraid of just leaving a key in the ignition just to keep it Neutral.

My main fear is someone accidentally trying to pull the key out and STARTS the car.
Once it's on the truck, why not just put it back into Park and remove the key?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Once it's on the truck, why not just put it back into Park and remove the key?
I am afraid whomever the truck driver is, wants to put it back into neutral and accidentally starts the car. Can't trust the tow truck driver. That will most probably cost the engine.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:55 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

THANKS!!
Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 AM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

Thanks for the info and link.

Is this the same part?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-OEM-...11132928747%26

Not that I am planning to get this, I will probably just use what the dealer buys. Just curious.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:21 AM
rglbegl
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
When you discuss this with your insurance company, keep a few things in mind:

1) if the nail was stationary, it will be considered collision.

2) if the nail was moving, and you struck it, this will be considered comprehensive.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
(I usually agree with Lex, but .. . . )

#2 would still be your fault.

The nail was moving and IT HIT YOU!!. There was nothing you could do to avoid it.
Don't show them the pics of the stationary nail. From the pics you have shown, it is 100% your fault. If you want Comp to pick this up you need to , well, pretty much, Lie.

Grew up in body shops, seen thousands of these cases, wording is very important.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

In addition to the above comments....

I worked for a general liability insurance company for many years. From the perspective of your car insurance company, yeah, most likely you are at fault. But, from the perspective of the parking garage's GL policy, they are probably at fault, assuming you can verify that it has happened to other cars. It will likely be way below their deductible, but they probably don't even want the claim filed, as it may affect their GL rates. If you can find the proper person to speak to, and provide your facts, my guess is that they will pay for it, or at least pay your insurance deductible.

Like much in life, much is negotiable here.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Dpending on time and availability of a tow truck, and service center, i would have plugged the hole using a bar of soap. Filled it with non synthetic oil for gasoline engine with he right viscosity and drive it home, monitoring oil pressure. When at home look for part and replace it by myself. Simple....just thinking what i would have done.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks! If it's not too late tape something to the windshield that says "OIL OUT, DO NOT START" on both sides.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

pull the dme relay, that way it won't start
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
sokoloff
AutoX

Pull the fuse for the fuel pump, the starter relay, or some other positive means to stop the car from being started. (in the old days, we'd pull the center coil wire, but that doesn't work for coil-on-plugs).

Tape a note to the steering wheel, and leave a note on the pass seat explaining what you did (so it doesn't turn into a where's Waldo on the other end).

Car should be in park on the flatbed, I'd think.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Where was this so I can avoid this garage.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:41 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
In addition to the above comments....

I worked for a general liability insurance company for many years. From the perspective of your car insurance company, yeah, most likely you are at fault. But, from the perspective of the parking garage's GL policy, they are probably at fault, assuming you can verify that it has happened to other cars. It will likely be way below their deductible, but they probably don't even want the claim filed, as it may affect their GL rates. If you can find the proper person to speak to, and provide your facts, my guess is that they will pay for it, or at least pay your insurance deductible.

Like much in life, much is negotiable here.
Thanks for info. I re-visited the garage exit and determined there is no way to exit through that ramp without hitting the bottom - period. Again, I was literally inching forward over that hump. In addition, that is the only exit to the garage. Lastly, it seemed like they have moved this hump forward and it used to be farther up the ramp. The position of the hump = impossible not to bottom out.

Does the above help in the insurance claim?

Quick Reply: URGENT PLS. Engine broke. Car stuck.