Sponsored by:

Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions

After nearly 8 years of 997 ownership overall and 4 years with my 997.2, I recently decided to go a different direction. Suffice it to say that I did not find the 991 desirable, and I don't intend to go into the details here as to why (plenty of threads for that). Chris Sanner at Porsche of North Olmsted (from whom I purchased my last 911) also happens to sell Astons, and we worked out a deal on a new 2012 Hammerhead Silver Vantage last week. I took delivery on Tuesday evening. Here are my initial impressions for those interested.

1. As appearances go, I don't think there is a more beautiful automobile on the planet. It's almost embarrassingly attractive. As much as I like the 911's shape (and particularly the 997's iteration of it), this thing is just on another level.

2. I got the "Sportshift II," which originated in the Vantage S and has trickled down to the base model. It's the first non-stick transmission I've had since I was 15-1/2 years old learning to parallel park. If I'm honest, I'm not currently a huge fan of it yet (although I've only had it 72 hrs). In normal "D" mode, it is virtually unbearable (it shifted from 1st to 6th before I even hit 50 mph). The Sport button takes care of that somewhat, but really, it's only smooth when it's happily within a rev range of a particular gear (and manually flapping the paddles is pretty much required, not that I mind).

3. The ride is very similar to my 997.2 S with the SPASM, only slightly more muffled (which is not saying much). I definitely still feel connected to the road.

4. The 420 hp v8 makes some great music, but I'm not going to call it better than a flat-six roar. The car pulls harder in 2nd and 3rd in moderate driving, but then again it does have a lot more power than my old 385hp 997. They're both fast as hell, which is more than I need anyway.

5. The steering is the most noticeably different driving-related aspect between the two cars that I've noticed. The 911 is much more precise in this regard.

6. The interior of the Vantage is a nice place to be. The ECU leaves a bit to be desired, and while the rest of it is full of British charm and ridiculous leather, I have to say I slightly prefer the 997's interior on this point. The navigation system is a hilariously out-of-place Garmin product, but since I don't use it, it flips down into a seamless part of the dash, and I didn't even have Nav in the 997, this is sort of irrelevant for me.

Bottom line: I'm happy with my choice, and I think those of you desiring to replace your 997 (no reason to obviously, if you are unconcerned about warranties and don't have automobile ADD) but are hesitant about the 991 would be well-served with a test-drive at your local AM dealer.

Attachment 674992

Attachment 674993

Last edited by am722; 04-12-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

SICK RIDE! if it gives you the same passion while you drive it as the 911 then so be it, congrats!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 AM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree - it's about the best looking car made.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Sorry, I am just not feelin' the pull of AM. I think the 997 and the 991 are a much prettier, not to mention more superior engineering package............
Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 AM
smokestack20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt about it..... Beautiful car!

Enjoy, and good luck
Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
After nearly 8 years of 997 ownership overall and 4 years with my 997.2, I recently decided to go a different direction. Suffice it to say that I did not find the 991 desirable, and I don't intend to go into the details here as to why (plenty of threads for that). Chris Sanner at Porsche of North Olmsted (from whom I purchased my last 911) also happens to sell Astons, and we worked out a deal on a new 2012 Hammerhead Silver Vantage last week. I took delivery on Tuesday evening. Here are my initial impressions for those interested.

1. As appearances go, I don't think there is a more beautiful automobile on the planet. It's almost embarrassingly attractive. As much as I like the 911's shape (and particularly the 997's iteration of it), this thing is just on another level.

2. I got the "Sportshift II," which originated in the Vantage S and has trickled down to the base model. It's the first non-stick transmission I've had since I was 15-1/2 years old learning to parallel park. If I'm honest, I'm not currently a huge fan of it yet (although I've only had it 72 hrs). In normal "D" mode, it is virtually unbearable (it shifted from 1st to 6th before I even hit 50 mph). The Sport button takes care of that somewhat, but really, it's only smooth when it's happily within a rev range of a particular gear (and manually flapping the paddles is pretty much required, not that I mind).

3. The ride is very similar to my 997.2 S with the SPASM, only slightly more muffled (which is not saying much). I definitely still feel connected to the road.

4. The 420 hp v8 makes some great music, but I'm not going to call it better than a flat-six roar. The car pulls harder in 2nd and 3rd in moderate driving, but then again it does have a lot more power than my old 385hp 997. They're both fast as hell, which is more than I need anyway.

5. The steering is the most noticeably different driving-related aspect between the two cars that I've noticed. The 911 is much more precise in this regard.

6. The interior of the Vantage is a nice place to be. The ECU leaves a bit to be desired, and while the rest of it is full of British charm and ridiculous leather, I have to say I slightly prefer the 997's interior on this point. The navigation system is a hilariously out-of-place Garmin product, but since I don't use it, it flips down into a seamless part of the dash, and I didn't even have Nav in the 997, this is sort of irrelevant for me.

Bottom line: I'm happy with my choice, and I think those of you desiring to replace your 997 (no reason to obviously, if you are unconcerned about warranties and don't have automobile ADD) but are hesitant about the 991 would be well-served with a test-drive at your local AM dealer.
Thanks for the write-up. I'm with you on the 991. Just can't warm up to it no matter how much I want to. So when it's time to trade it's either a 2012 997.2 or I'll go down the exact same path you just did. Congratulations on a stunning car.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:13 AM
am722
Drifting

Thanks fellas.

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Sorry, I am just not feelin' the pull of AM. I think the 997 and the 991 are a much prettier, not to mention more superior engineering package............
I hear you--all the 911s are beautiful and there's no doubt that Porsche has better engineering. I'm still a Porsche fan for sure.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
s329
Racer

Beautiful car and congratulations!
I love the way the vantage looks and like the way they sound even more. That exhaust note is truly a special one. Enjoy in good health mate!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:38 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very wow! and congratulations! I was looking at an 07 Vantage before I settled on the Targa.....and I'm glad I did, despite loving the AS's exhaust note.....it was 72 used! too much for a used car haha....

best of luck and enjoy!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
I agree - it's about the best looking car made.
+1
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

" It's almost embarrassingly attractive"

Agree 100%...except I'd remove the "almost" part.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Grrrreat choice! I've always loved AM's and considered one when I sold my XK8. It'll be a different experience to a 911, but probably no less rewarding.

Porsche has entered a different arena with the higher price points on the 991. I'm not surprised to see "the faithful" trying other luxury sport brands.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Congrats - very nice. I agree that the AM is better looking. I still would prefer the P cars as they blend in here in LA and once you get past the looks, I think Porsche's have the engineering and total performance edge. But AM certainly is a great GT car.

I am starting to feel the pull of the 991 Cab though. In certain colors it looks great. The 991 is a car where color makes a huge difference. I think the 997 looks great in every color. The 991 looks great in some colors and just OK in others.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Great car!

I personally find I am getting "used" to the looks of the new Astons. It's a bit funny too that one of the criticisms I've heard a few times about the 991 is that it is "too Aston Martin"! That said, they still have very different styles IMO.

I think a base V8 Vantage has a MSRP of about $22K more than a Carrera S, is that the sort of price range you saw?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Congrats - very nice. I agree that the AM is better looking. I still would prefer the P cars as they blend in here in LA and once you get past the looks, I think Porsche's have the engineering and total performance edge. But AM certainly is a great GT car.

I am starting to feel the pull of the 991 Cab though. In certain colors it looks great. The 991 is a car where color makes a huge difference. I think the 997 looks great in every color. The 991 looks great in some colors and just OK in others.
Aston Martins look great no question.

While I'm not a cab guy, IMHO the 991 cab in white with a red top looks utterly fantastic. Agree about color with the 991. It needs the lighter colors to look its best. I'd take one in guards red or gt silver all day long.

Quick Reply: Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions