Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Shouldn't there be a subsection of Rennlist for people who used to drive Porsche and now don't so they can talk about the merits of their fine rides in that locale with other like-minded folks?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LewisB
Shouldn't there be a subsection of Rennlist for people who used to drive Porsche and now don't so they can talk about the merits of their fine rides in that locale with other like-minded folks?
What's wrong with hearing about other cars? I'm always open to try new brands (though I come back to Porsche over and over). As a longtime fan (and nearly an owner) of Aston Martins, it's nice to hear about the ownership experience from a Porsche guy. I think I'll always have one Porsche or another, but I sure wouldn't mind having other brands in the garage, too.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
E in Phila
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really is an automotive work of art. Such a beautiful sports car.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

Congrats on the new ride, its gorgeous.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
What's wrong with hearing about other cars? I'm always open to try new brands (though I come back to Porsche over and over). As a longtime fan (and nearly an owner) of Aston Martins, it's nice to hear about the ownership experience from a Porsche guy. I think I'll always have one Porsche or another, but I sure wouldn't mind having other brands in the garage, too.
I'm here to learn about Porsche cars. I know that it is my choice to read or not read a post. I think that one can go to an A-M board to satisfy ones curiosity. Just sayin'.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boolala
The GranTurismo will probably be the replacement for my S550. As far as the Vantage--I would never buy one.
I'm surprised you'd buy anything with a dry sump
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
am722
Drifting

Originally Posted by kouzman
Congrats on the new car! A true beauty!

However your 997 was almost exactly how i would order a 997 from the factory, white/black manual with the carbon seats!!! BTW, did you trade it in and at which dealer?
It's on its way to North Olmsted as of this morning.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM
am722
Drifting

I'm here to learn about Porsche cars. I know that it is my choice to read or not read a post. I think that one can go to an A-M board to satisfy ones curiosity. Just sayin'.
Let me know when you find an active A/M board! But honestly, I've seen people here (997 board) complain about the 991, and I thought it would be worthwhile to post about what I found to be a suitable replacement for a series of car that I love. I have zero doubt whatsoever that I will be back in a Porsche in the coming years, so I'll be on RL for the duration, for better or worse.

Plus, there's really not much to talk about with the Vantage. It's got quirks, it'll have problems, everybody knows the highlights are the looks and the V8 growl, and mods are pretty superfluous.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To fully appreciate a P-car, it's good to know what else is out there... To each his own.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
Let me know when you find an active A/M board! But honestly, I've seen people here (997 board) complain about the 991, and I thought it would be worthwhile to post about what I found to be a suitable replacement for a series of car that I love. I have zero doubt whatsoever that I will be back in a Porsche in the coming years, so I'll be on RL for the duration, for better or worse.

Plus, there's really not much to talk about with the Vantage. It's got quirks, it'll have problems, everybody knows the highlights are the looks and the V8 growl, and mods are pretty superfluous.
Glad you did. As I said already, I found it interesting and useful. And even if there was an active A/M board somewhere, we probably wouldn't get the perspective from someone normally devoted to 911's. With the changes of the 991 I bet there are plenty of current 911 owners looking at possible alternatives.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Jerry502
7th Gear

Beautiful car and congratulations!
I love the way the vantage looks and like the way they sound even more. That exhaust note is truly a special one. Enjoy in good health mate!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by am722

Congrats! BTW. Few more pics would be nice.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM
phily911
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think someone woke up on the wrong side of San Francisco!

I thought it was great post, interesting to learn the reasons why someone would go from a p-car to another brand. Its probably something we will all debate at some time...
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gorgeous car, and thanks for sharing your experieince. I don't know much about the AM's, but looked into the Maserati Quad for a bit.
I was in Vegas last weekend and was next to a DB9 crusing the strip for a while. It was gorgeous, too. There was a brand new 430 Spyder parked in front of the Palazzo I drooled over for a few minutes. Red, sex, functional lines.
I'd like to enjoy as many different cars, as pratical, simply for the experience. The Porsche fills our current needs quite well....but I still like to look at what may be next, particularly when it comes to high performance touring cars.
So many cars, so little time....
Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 AM
gvcap10
Racer

Great car! Almost bought an 07, just couldn't pull the trigger. Just love the Porsche family too much. Congrats and best of luck with your new ride.

Quick Reply: Replaced the 997 with a Vantage: Initial Impressions