Sponsored by:

Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Rejex Wax. Between waxes, I use Adam's Quick Detailer. Prior to winter hibernation, I have professionaly detailed (exterior) for a proper polish and paint correction (minimal).
Damn that's a nice car. I love my 997.1, but your car (color and body style) remind me of why I fell in love with the brand in the first place. Feeling a little envious ......
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd never use an all in one or a cleaner wax.
Only products specifically listed as OK to apply often.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
I'd never use an all in one or a cleaner wax.
Only products specifically listed as OK to apply often.
Cool - thought so - just making sure ..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vman4639
Damn that's a nice car. I love my 997.1, but your car (color and body style) remind me of why I fell in love with the brand in the first place. Feeling a little envious ......
Thank you, that's a great compliment. Much appreciated.

Since you're a fan :
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
Remember no wax will be good with bad prep work. Prep your paint correctly and your wax will make the car look like a million dollars!

I feel every car should be clayed once a year and polished once or twice a year.
If you maintain your wax, I don't feel polishing is needed that regularly. (Spokane)
As you said it is an ablative process.

I usually polish and clay once a year.
I agree that claying should be done once a year but I don't see any reason to do the entire car if it doesn't sit outside for any extended amount of time. I clay my Spyder as needed, usually behind the front/rear wheels and the lower part of the doors. I also clay the wheels as needed. I don't agree that a car needs to be polished yearly or every every other year. If you're careful with how you clean the car you shouldn't introduce a new scratch very frequently. Too much polishing will eventually leave you without a clear coat. You're better off spending more time and money with the cleaning and trying to minimize polishing if possible.

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Ahhh....My dad was a detailer for a Ford dealership and some old guy taught him spit shine. Some of the old shoe shine guys still spit shine. He told me about it but I've never done it. I used to help him wax the 914 when I was little and he spit on the car while polishing off the wax. He said it aged the wax. I don't know....seemed kind of strange but I do it sometimes myself if an area doesn't seem to be polishing well.
Technically you use ice cold distilled water when spit shining a car. This cools the surface of the car and leaves more wax on the paint. It doesn't have a significant affect on appearance, but it definitely does leave a barrier of wax on the paint which makes bug and dirt removal a snap. I don't do this often though, I can't justify the time required.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Where?

I wash my car 2 times a week, waxing every fourth time. Mostly using Zaino, but try everything else looking for something better, not yet.
Havent tried Pinnacle Soveran yet, but will. Everybody has the same price, anywhere have a discount?
Clay once a year.
Polish w Meguiars 205, twice a year.
Wash twice a week and always use detail spray after. Always trying something different when bottle is empty.
Waxing is easy w Zaino, every second week.
Hard to keep Basalt shiny ALL the time, but I try.
Also use Leathique inside.
Adams In & Out everywhere else.
Great thread!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a shot of my detailing section of a cabinet in my garage. Lots of product
Not much mention of other aspects of detailing a car, so notice the long handled soft bristle brush I use to clean the engine compartment, and not in the shot, a horse hair brush used exclusively to clean the cab top, and the tools and products used to clean/condiion the interior, and wheels and tires.
After all, it's not called "detail" for nothing....
Conveniently so, there was a monsoon event this afternoon in PHX, that caught me down at the local watering hole, and here's another shot of Z5 at work.
It was a fun drive home as the roads were a little wet, but next weekend she'll need a full "detail".
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like chemical guys products, but if there are stuff out there that is better and not that much more expensive than what I'm already paying for I'd try it out.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
I wash my car 2 times a week, waxing every fourth time. Mostly using Zaino, but try everything else looking for something better, not yet.
Havent tried Pinnacle Soveran yet, but will. Everybody has the same price, anywhere have a discount?
Clay once a year.
Polish w Meguiars 205, twice a year.
Wash twice a week and always use detail spray after. Always trying something different when bottle is empty.
Waxing is easy w Zaino, every second week.
Hard to keep Basalt shiny ALL the time, but I try.
Also use Leathique inside.
Adams In & Out everywhere else.
Great thread!
Autogeek will have sales on Pinnacle and on most of their products regularly, just monitor their website. They have excellent Microfibers too, their Cobra Grey 540 towels are some of the best I've ever used and yes I've tried at least a dozen different kinds over the years.

Basalt isn't too bad compared to black. Basalt looks incredible in the sun, it adds depth and gives the car a very rich look. The only downside to Basalt is that it doesn't photograph well, it's hard to capture what you see with your eyes.

Here's a shot I took with my phone over the weekend. Not a good quality shot unfortunately. Second shot shows off the flakes a bit better and you can see some of the depth created by the Pinnacle Souveran.
Attached Images   
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Skibum
Banned

Aren't you in a 2 plate state Afshin? Have you been stopped?
(I got stopped last weekend here in Ct.)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aren't you in a 2 plate state Afshin? Have you been stopped?
(I got stopped last weekend here in Ct.)
Yes and no. Knock on wood, I've been lucky thus far. I know I'm on borrowed time but I've been driving Porsches without front plates for nearly 5 years here in MA and never been pulled over for it. I was pulled over once for an expired inspection sticker (guilty) but the officer never mentioned the missing front plate. I install a tow hook mounted plate when I bring the Spyder in for inspections. When I get home I take it off and put it back on the shelf and hopefully won't need to use it for another year.

Did you get a fix it ticket or just a warning?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Skibum
Banned

I made it about 3 years.
I got a stern warning. (Which I was happy to take)
Got a factory plate kit, looked at what I would have to do, and said no way.
I made my own mount that fastens using dual lock and attaches down lower.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's a good solution, I also prefer the center mount look. Did you use double side tape or drill down?

The center opening on the Spyder isn't very deep and wouldn't be enough to support a license plate unfortunately. Like you I said no way to the standard front plate kit. Before my car arrived I had instructed the dealer several times to put the bracket in the trunk and do not drill any holes in the bumper, they listened!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Skibum
Banned

I use special high strength dual lock from 3m.
I use the same stuff to attach my bindings to my water ski. It is absurdly strong.
All I needed for this mount was 4 square inches of the stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried wax from dodo juice? I love chemical guys 5050, but I'm tempted to try the light fantastic soft wax for light colored cars.

Quick Reply: Waxing