Sponsored by:

991 NOT FOR ME

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Your earlier post, "Porsche has clearly engineered the 991 for people who find it takes far too much of their attention to handle a 997 above 35mph on a straight, smooth motorway like the German Autobahn", implied that the high speed issues that the 911 has always had were inconsequential. One just needs to "pay attention". It also implied that driving on the Autobahn at speed was not very challenging, it's just a long straight road. Given your Autobahn experience driving 911's you should know that neither is true. You may be from Germany, but statements like the one above make it difficult to tell. I'm neither a politician, nor a mindreader, I'm just responding to what you wrote.
And I was just responding to what you wrote: that the steering on a 997 becomes unpleasant at speeds above 35mph. I'm sure I'm not alone that statement sounds rather ridiculous coming from someone who pretends to have great experience with Porsche as well as Autobahn driving. Everything you allege that I "implied" is once again the creation of your own inference, intended this time to lessen the stench of the petard with which you hoisted yourself But you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, and if you find it challenging to drive a 997 above 35mph, then undoubtedly the 991 is a better car for you, irrelevant of whether you're driving the Autobahn at 150+ or your local interstate at 55.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM
ljpviper
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

And yet people are making decisions about the 991's steering after 15 minute test drives?

Amazing how things go both ways

Your wrong, my friend actually picked his up last week, i spent more than 15 minutes driving it. Anyways it does not take long to figure out the steering sucks.

I felt that on the first couple of turns.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
And yet people are making decisions about the 991's steering after 15 minute test drives?

Amazing how things go both ways
Hey, at least their decision is based on a test drive. There are some people on this board that don't own either a GTS or 991 that are telling GTS owners that there is no way they could like their GTS as well or better than a 991. According to some, GTS owners are living a dream trying to convince themselves that their GTS is better.

Oh my, my dream is shattered. There is no way I can afford the 991 that I really want. Heck, I couldn't even afford an automatic transmission in my GTS. I have to shift the darn thing myself with a stinking manual transmission. Life is cruel at times, but I will survive.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

R&T, C&D etc - most mags say the steering is odd "but they got used to it"
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
And I was just responding to what you wrote: that the steering on a 997 becomes unpleasant at speeds above 35mph. I'm sure I'm not alone that statement sounds rather ridiculous coming from someone who pretends to have great experience with Porsche as well as Autobahn driving.
This is what I wrote in post #19, the comment you say above that you were responding to: "Even with the extra weight of luggage in a full boot (at 130+ mph), the front end is light and a bit floaty and the twitchiness in the steering that is charming at 35mph is a somewhat less so at really high speed." That's hardly the same as saying that "the steering of a 997 becomes unpleasant at speeds above 35mph", now is it? For someone who seems offended by having their statements mischaracterized by others, you exhibit quite an aptitude for it.

BTW, just as a side note, you might consider becoming a paying Rennlist member so that we can be assured of your continued insight and contributions. Enjoy your day.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Hey, at least their decision is based on a test drive. There are some people on this board that don't own either a GTS or 991 that are telling GTS owners that there is no way they could like their GTS as well or better than a 991. According to some, GTS owners are living a dream trying to convince themselves that their GTS is better.

Oh my, my dream is shattered. There is no way I can afford the 991 that I really want. Heck, I couldn't even afford an automatic transmission in my GTS. I have to shift the darn thing myself with a stinking manual transmission. Life is cruel at times, but I will survive.
*sigh* again. Another guy who just doesnt get it. I dont care if you like your 997, GTS, 993, Mini, tricycle.....whatever. As I have said in the past and others have also said (most recently Mike in CA) WE GET IT. However, its the ridiculous statements (there have been some doosies) and saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over

We are making fun of you. This is not a serious discussion. Remove your panties, lay flat, unwind, reinstall and relax
Old 04-11-2012, 01:13 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey 991 haters, its the freaking 21st century. No one wants a yestertech car. Look at Lotus, they're barely hanging on, yet that's what you guys seem to want the 911 to be. Look at the competition, Ferrari, Lambo, Audi and even MB, they all have technology. You guys think that the reason the previous 911 were built was because they wanted crude old dynamics, wrong, they built them with the best available technology of their time, there is no difference here.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Vern: What ridiculous statements and "doosies" are you referring to? I really didn't see any. Please enlighten us.

The "over and over" threads on this issue appear when additiional people post their opinions based on their drives of the 991 both good and bad which as you might guess is a topic of interest and because this is a Porsche talk forum as you would expect others begin to chime in. I know, shocking. I know.

What is actually shocking is your professed disgust (and some others) with these threads and discussions and impressions and views on the 991 vis a vis the now antiquated, outdated, out performed, embarrassed, sloth 997 and the misguided, blind, fools that just can't see the light or those that do and can't hide their envy because they can't afford the 991 but... yet you come back for more over and over.

Kinda like a moth to light, a bee to honey or flys to...well you know.

Look at it this way... at least your enjoying yourself making fun of us.

You can write this down because I will remind you...in the following years look for improvements and changes to the 991 that are driven by enthusiast criticism of the 991. In fact look for me to personally take credit if they redo the bulbous headlights and Panny console. Going back to hydraulic steering would be nice too.

Yours truly,

Doctor Evil 997.

BTW. I don't wear panties.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Jabberwocky
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One positive takeaway from these 997 vs 991 threads is that it makes our 993 vs 996 crowd resemble the old Coca-Cola commercial where everyone is holding hands and singing.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8H5263jCGg
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
*sigh* again. Another guy who just doesnt get it. I dont care if you like your 997, GTS, 993, Mini, tricycle.....whatever. As I have said in the past and others have also said (most recently Mike in CA) WE GET IT. However, its the ridiculous statements (there have been some doosies) and saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over
I agree, you do keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over. I am so happy to know that you approve of me liking my GTS. When I bought it, I had you in mind and really wanted you to approve. Now that I know you do, I feel relieved.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who gives a flying f--k what other people think ! Get what you like and enjoy the heck out of it. Folks, there are NO WRONG decisions here. Get over it !
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
R&T, C&D etc - most mags say the steering is odd "but they got used to it"
Hmmm. See the following:

R&T Feb. 2012
"The new electric assist steering (another 911 first) is nicely direct and communicative, filtering out the most obnoxious bumps and nibbles but letting you feel every crack and surface nuance."

C&D Feb 2012
If the steering doesn't bobble over rough patches as it once did, it does have a distinct mechanical hardness and an annimated liveliness, accurately conveying the strain of tires holding a firm line. We've heaped scorn on electric power steering gears from other manufacturers. Perhaps the key is to have perfect steering to start with when you tune a new system.

Motor Trend Apr 2012
In motion, the biggest difference between the 997 and the 991 is the more subdued feel of the new steering. Several people have attributed it to the adoption of electric-assist, but that probably is not the entire story. While the 997's steering wheel is constantly moving and twitching, the 991 is locked down but still works in unison with every movement of the driver's hands. The same amount of road granularity and the action of each individual tread block is still telegraphed directly to palms and fingertips -- it just does it without the nervous wriggling. It doesn't turn a Starbucks drive-through into the Mulsanne Straight like the 997, but it doesn't wear out forearms on road trips the same way, either.

It would be hard to say that these comments are anything but positive. Proving nothing, except that there's nothing about "odd" or "getting used to it". To me, they also make comments that the new steering is "crap" or "numb" seem a little over the top.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-11-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
are telling GTS owners that there is no way they could like their GTS as well or better than a 991. .
who said that?

please quote.

thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,403 Likes on 812 Posts

once again, I will state that probably 75% of all 911 drivers can't appreciate or make use of the steering feel they claim to be so obsessed with. Hell I'd argue 50% of all 997 drivers couldn't hit an apex 5 times out of 10
Old 04-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Look at the competition, Ferrari, Lambo, Audi and even MB, they all have technology.
That's the point..those are cars that Porsche owners decided _not_ to buy.

Quick Reply: 991 NOT FOR ME