991 NOT FOR ME

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
Neutral observer:

If you put a motor parallel to your steering mechanism, it had better be closed loop. I can't even imagine how you try to control the motor otherwise. With a pot on the steering wheel? I don't think so.

...But using a motor vs hydraulics, this is not necessarily more prone to fail. DC brushless motors and their control electronics are incredibly reliable. If sized properly it's the bearing in the electric motor that will fail before anything else and that will be after millions and millions of revs. I'd venture to trust it more than hydraulic lines. But as to the feel, that will be up to the controls engineers and the transfer functions they write.
Would be true, however, Porsche added sofware... yet another component to increase MTBF issues and system complexity so much more prone to a failure. Software opens up a whole "pandora's box" of potential variables. In contrast, their hydraulic system is simple - power assist right or left. No calculation of yaw rates and really no opportunity for a complete system failure or worst - system continues to work but does the opposite of what the driver wants. This may be a crude analogy but I have never had to reboot my AM/FM radio. It either works or it doesn't - normally when the batteries need to be replace. Now I compare that to Pandora on my Razor... software, operating system, virus, bugs, etc.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

For those Members interested in the intricacies of the 991's e-steering read this. This link is only available for paid Rennlist Members.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Would be true, however, Porsche added sofware... yet another component to increase MTBF issues and system complexity so much more prone to a failure. Software opens up a whole "pandora's box" of potential variables. In contrast, their hydraulic system is simple - power assist right or left. No calculation of yaw rates and really no opportunity for a complete system failure or worst - system continues to work but does the opposite of what the driver wants. This may be a crude analogy but I have never had to reboot my AM/FM radio. It either works or it doesn't - normally when the batteries need to be replace. Now I compare that to Pandora on my Razor... software, operating system, virus, bugs, etc.
You bring up a good point. It's also true that virtually every other subsystem in a modern vehicle is controlled or monitored by software, from engine management to suspension, brakes to electronics, the transmission and even the interaction of the key with the ignition. The issue of whether the steering "feels" better or not aside, maybe adding one more software controlled element to a vehicle already dominated by software isn't that much of a factor reliability wise. If we're really afraid of software in our cars, we probably need to go back to at least the '60's. An early 911S would be pretty nice.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
For those Members interested in the intricacies of the 991's e-steering read this. This link is only available for paid Rennlist Members.
Thanks for posting... I love e-steering. What's next? Self-park on a 911?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Thanks for posting... I love e-steering. What's next? Self-park on a 911?
Camera in mirror for backing up. Can't be to careful.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 591 Posts

I agree this is horse ****. What's next 4 wheel drive, full leather, deviated stitching, BT, GPS, back up sensors, oh wait. I guess the horse is already out of the barn. Progress and change is a bitch.

So now that we have two drivers with the 991, if I try and turn left will the SW "argue" and try and keep going straight?

Quick Reply: 991 NOT FOR ME