Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can add is that every time I drove my Boxster I had a smile on my face. Every time I drive my GTS, I have a smile on my face. If I ever trade into a 991, I'm sure I will have a smile on my face every time I drive it..
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
reading is oh so difficult when you have to comprehend. Now don't say it's cuz you're Canadian. I know some pretty smart ones.

You, OTOH? Not so much. Consult with Dean Wormer would do you some good.
Awwww, now you've done it and hurt my feelings. I cant really keep mocking you anymore and keep a clear conscience. When someone resorts to personal insults (and bad Animal House references), well i think that says it all about that person. See ya
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 570 Posts

Now, now lads..

I will add that PSE does absolutely nothing to enhance anything performance wise and i think it even adds weight - so all your GTSs have a noise maker too . All it does is make your car sound better. It just has a cooler name than the lame symposer. Its all in the marketing. Hey I want PSE too. I like the fact you can switch it off.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I would add here but allegretto has said it already.

Oh, btw I don't buy Porsche's claims at the Ring either. I'll wait for some times by independent tests. Regardless my GTS's capabilities far exceed mine and most here so all this talk of improved performance is academic and bench racing at it's finest.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Symphony by Porsche

Prefer Sport Exhaust or Tubis over Synthetic Symposer. Have had both, miss the Tubis, truly symphonic.

UJ
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaela106
Pls not another, I love my GTS and am so happy I didnt buy a 991, thread
Let's see. You have been here a few days... and you are dictating what old timers and especially paid Members should post on?!?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
so witty - all 3 of you - you are relentless arent you

have fun boys - enjoy those classic gts's - i wish i could afford one - oh wait i can but my 997.1 and 993 are so much more raw and visceral, and my black is so much blacker than that 991 thing

as i said on that other thread, you guys are hilarious
Hats off to the OP of the blacker than blacker thread. Good work of irony and ridicule masquerading as real opinion. You make him look even better thinking he was serious.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove both the 2012 GTS and the 2012 "new" 911 S quite a bit before making a purchase.

Purchased the GTS. It's more of a sports car. The new 911 seemed more like a big BMW or Mercedes. The new 911 might've been my choice if I spent 50+ miles commuting daily. But, that's not the case. I wanted more fun!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Vern: See the issue is just that you seem to think that it is some how impossible for guys to like their GTS better then the new 991 and have honest opinions as to why.

We are not "whining" but having open discourse on a Porsche forum where I thought these discussions where supposed to take place.

It seems that Lewis here actually drove the 991 and opted for the GTS. How do you explain him?

I think the symposer is an interesting idea but I think the reason most find it too artifical is that while a Tubi, PSE, Fabspeed add sound, it is external sound that the car is actually emitting to the world for all to hear and enjoy. The symposer merely pipe intake sound into the cabin to add sound for the passengers having nothing to do with the sound the car is actually emitting to the word. Its a small but signficant distinction. The symposer doesn't bother me at all as I think the exhuast sound the 991 makes is great at the pipes where it counts. I do have other criticisms however. Yesterday a Panamera was behind me and I couldn't help but notice the stricking similarity of the front to the 991. My son noticed it too.

Just say'n.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
We are not "whining" but having open discourse on a Porsche forum where I thought these discussions where supposed to take place. ....
Unfortunately many people these days cannot understand that.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 470 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Unfortunately many people these days cannot understand that.
Just defensiveness pure and simple!

Tom
Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The symposer merely pipe intake sound into the cabin to add sound for the passengers having nothing to do with the sound the car is actually emitting to the word. Its a small but signficant distinction.
Point 1. Hearing intake sound is part of the "sportiness" deal for many people. A direct quote from Fabspeed's website while talking about their 997 Maxflow Competition Air Intake; "On a stock 997 makes the car sound very sporty and sound great." We're talking about intake here not exhaust and clearly Fabspeed considers intake sound part of the package. And please don't tell me that part of that aural enhancement, for exhaust or intake, isn't also for the benefit of the passengers, as opposed to just the outside world.

Point 2. The Symposer is allowing you to hear intake sound that would otherwise be blocked by sound insulation in the 991, which is by all accounts quiet for a sports car. It's not artificial sound, it's sound that's there. In fact it is sound that the car is "emitting to the world" but is just hard for passengers to hear. Porsche thinks that passengers want to hear it, the way they want to hear a sporting exhaust note, and provide a way for you to do so.

If someone thinks the Symposer is unnecessay, and intake sound is not a valuable component of the overall sound of the car, so be it. Makes no difference to me. But it's not fake, any more than the baffles, shapes, and reflecting surfaces which channel and control sound in a concert hall are fake.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Point 1. Hearing intake sound is part of the "sportiness" deal for many people. A direct quote from Fabspeed's website while talking about their 997 Maxflow Competition Air Intake; "On a stock 997 makes the car sound very sporty and sound great." We're talking about intake here not exhaust and clearly Fabspeed considers intake sound part of the package. And please don't tell me that part of that aural enhancement, for exhaust or intake, isn't also for the benefit of the passengers, as opposed to just the outside world.

Point 2. The Symposer is allowing you to hear intake sound that would otherwise be blocked by sound insulation in the 991, which is by all accounts quiet for a sports car. It's not artificial sound, it's sound that's there. In fact it is sound that the car is "emitting to the world" but is just hard for passengers to hear. Porsche thinks that passengers want to hear it, the way they want to hear a sporting exhaust note, and provide a way for you to do so.

If someone thinks the Symposer is unnecessay, and intake sound is not a valuable component of the overall sound of the car, so be it. Makes no difference to me. But it's not fake, any more than the baffles, shapes, and reflecting surfaces which channel and control sound in a concert hall are fake.
Mike: the difference is the Fabspeed set up isn't designed to pipe sound into the passenger compartment. The symposer is intended just to enhance sound in the passenger compartment. I have no problem with it but some I guess find it to close to the artificial BMW stereophonic exhaust setup.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike: the difference is the Fabspeed set up isn't designed to pipe sound into the passenger compartment. The symposer is intended just to enhance sound in the passenger compartment. I have no problem with it but some I guess find it to close to the artificial BMW stereophonic exhaust setup.
Waxer, many elements of a car's design are engineered to control or enhance sound; the Symposer is just more obvious than some. I don't see the difference as significant, but obviously you do, to some extent. Tomato, tomahto. I can live with that.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

*sigh*

First of all I have no problem with open discourse and I have no problem with people liking their GTS. I like my cars too and this forum is a great resource. Its the 3 threads a day and 50 pages that has already been dedicated to this topic that becomes a little over bearing and reaks of desperation (just a little admit it). What oil is best?? Even that thread is better as there can be some objectivity to it. We get it, you like your GTS but the same guys saying the same thing over and over is tiresome. Guess its my own fault for reading them. There its all my fault

Second, defensivenss? I dont even know what that is supposed to mean in context of this thread. That I cant buy one? That I wont buy one? That I hate my mother?

Third, someone kept calling me relentless. Relentless refers to my first point. Pages and pages and thread after thread of the same stuff

Fourth, the personal insults about my intelligence etc? I stand by my first comment on that

And fifth, Sandwedge didnt even get what i thought was a pretty obvious joke on the original guys joke. Thats just hopeless...

I will try to not read anymore threads titled "How i learned to love my GTS even though I could afford a 991" and not make fun of you guys any more as it seems to upset many of you

Long live the GTS, last of the classic Porsches (****e I just couldnt help myself). Laugh at yourselves a little bit fellas, you might like it

Quick Reply: Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S