Sponsored by:

Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, I actually have a bunch of miles in the 991. It's nice, but the car is evolving. And that's what Porsche does. The cars evolve with the buyers.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I keep hearing how good the new PDK software is in the 991. Wonder if there's going to be a software update for 997.2 PDK that gets it closer to 991 PDK?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:45 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vern1
I dont have to own one to be tired of a bunch of guys trying just a little too hard to convince themselves (and everyone else) of their GTS purchse. It wouldnt be so bad if it was contained to 1 thread but there is a new one (or 2) everyday
Concur.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Your posts imply that the statements of GTS owners are some how disingenuous because most GTS owners concur and that we are all pining away for a 991.

You repeatedly complain about having to read these opinions. Actually wondering if you guys work for "Media Matters." They don't want to hear what they don't like either and try and silence the source.

You can always just not read these clearly annoying and self replicating threads.

Also, just wondering how many times you guys posted on the 991 forums that you were tired of hearing their continued and perhaps contrived raves about the 991 as just covering up sour grapes in not getting a GTS, Turbo, GT3.. After all Evos luke warm reviews on the 991 don't exactly jive with some of the "glowing" reviews over there either. Just wondering.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
I believe they badged the 991 so much so people would know that it is Carrera rather then a baby Panamera.
+1

Where's the handbrake, dear?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:58 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was lucky enough to drive a GTS pdk and a 991s pdk back to back. They are too very different cars. the 991s handles better, with quicker steering. There is not as much feedback of road imperfections but the new steering is still very precise. The ride is MUCH better in the 991S. The 991S is almost too quiet for my taste so a sport exhaust would be in order here. The seats and interior are more comfy in the 991S but it almost seems to big with the windsheild too far away from you. Both cars are about equally fast but the GTS feels a bit twitchy vs the more stable 991s. For an everyday car i would take the 991s hands down due to its quiet and comfort. For a fun second car, I would have to consider which one i would get a better deal on. Btw, the pdk is a bit quicker on the newer car.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I dont have to own one to be tired of a bunch of guys trying just a little too hard to convince themselves (and everyone else) of their GTS purchse. It wouldnt be so bad if it was contained to 1 thread but there is a new one (or 2) everyday
Hey Vern, let me help you out a little. You are obviously very intelligent since you know what GTS owners secretly think about their cars. But in my case, and I suspect for many other GTS owners, we do actually like our cars very much.

I have owned three 911s in the past five years and never owed a penny on any of them. Rest assured that if I wanted a 991, or was emotionally distraught about owning a lowly GTS, I would go out to my dealer and buy a 991.

That is not to say that I hate the 991 or do not think it is a great car. It simply means that I like my GTS and have no desire for a 991, at least not at this time.

Now go be happy.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
I keep hearing how good the new PDK software is in the 991. Wonder if there's going to be a software update for 997.2 PDK that gets it closer to 991 PDK?
That statement is made by those who had no real previous experience with the PDK 997.2. PAG was smart forcing launch 991 cars with PDK only and with SC/Sport on the basic package and most cars with Sport Plus. Test drives highlight what Sport/Sport Plus does and the tester has an 'epiphany' about PDK.

The 'Symposer' adds to the magic, by enhancing the PDK blipped downshift sounds directly in the cabin.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I was all ready to trade my GTS and then I found this thread.

Last edited by Holli82; 03-23-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spell
Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
That statement is made by those who had no real previous experience with the PDK 997.2. PAG was smart forcing launch 991 cars with PDK only and with SC/Sport on the basic package and most cars with Sport Plus. Test drives highlight what Sport/Sport Plus does and the tester has an 'epiphany' about PDK.

The 'Symposer' adds to the magic, by enhancing the PDK blipped downshift sounds directly in the cabin.
the "Symposer" is a tuned tube that enhances intake noise. Nothing real about it, kinda like a Bose wave radio for the intake. I'd call it the perfect compliment to the rest of what's "new" in the 991

I want one so bad I'm buying an air-cooled Porsche just to drown my sorrows.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by allegretto
the "Symposer" is a tuned tube that enhances intake noise. Nothing real about it, kinda like a Bose wave radio for the intake. I'd call it the perfect compliment to the rest of what's "new" in the 991

ROFLMAO
Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scycle2020
I was lucky enough to drive a GTS pdk and a 991s pdk back to back. They are too very different cars. the 991s handles better, with quicker steering. There is not as much feedback of road imperfections but the new steering is still very precise. The ride is MUCH better in the 991S. The 991S is almost too quiet for my taste so a sport exhaust would be in order here. The seats and interior are more comfy in the 991S but it almost seems to big with the windsheild too far away from you. Both cars are about equally fast but the GTS feels a bit twitchy vs the more stable 991s. For an everyday car i would take the 991s hands down due to its quiet and comfort. For a fun second car, I would have to consider which one i would get a better deal on. Btw, the pdk is a bit quicker on the newer car.
My impressions don't match yours. I find the steering on the GTS to be as precise and just as quick or quicker then the 991. Handling wise, unless you were testing at track or a Auto X circuit I don't see where the 991 can be perceived as "handling better". Motor Trend noted the 997 GTS was less very close in times on the figure 8 with the 991.

In the overall scheme, I am sure there an up tick in handling but nothing that would jump out on a dealer test drive. Lets get real here.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Yup, rinse and repeat. Pretty much happens every time a new one comes out. Hey, it's cool, my car suddenly became more visceral and raw . I feel all tingly about that.
If yours is visceral and raw, I guess I AM driving a farm tractor...I admit to having new car envy...
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 470 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto

I feel exactly the same....exactly!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

After owning several 997's and driven two 991's, they are both nice.

A person can prefer one or the other.

Just difficult to see why those who prefer the 991 seem to disbelieve that anyone could prefer the 997. Especially to the point of ridicule. Certainly more than a few appear to feel that way. Why all the doubt?

After owning 100 or more cars it seems many have endearing traits and warts. None have been truly Perfect.

Certainly even Porsche features the 991 as more "refined". Why would anyone deny that the 997 feels more raw?

Everyone should drive what they like and have fun.

Quick Reply: Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S