Sponsored by:

Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
My impressions don't match yours. I find the steering on the GTS to be as precise and just as quick or quicker then the 991. Handling wise, unless you were testing at track or a Auto X circuit I don't see where the 991 can be perceived as "handling better". Motor Trend noted the 997 GTS was less very close in times on the figure 8 with the 991.

In the overall scheme, I am sure there an up tick in handling but nothing that would jump out on a dealer test drive. Lets get real here.
The 991S didnt seem as tail heavy as the GTS. The handling appeared to be a bit more neutral . I was able to take both cars on some very twisty, up and down roads, for about an hour in each car. And in sport mode with both cars, the steering on the 991S appears a bit quicker. I never said I did not like the GTS, its a great car so think I am insulting your car.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Never said or implied you were insulting my car. I find it hard to believe that on a dealer test drive one could find one Porsche Carrera "handled" better than another.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
After owning several 997's and driven two 991's, they are both nice.

A person can prefer one or the other.

Just difficult to see why those who prefer the 991 seem to disbelieve that anyone could prefer the 997. Especially to the point of ridicule. Certainly more than a few appear to feel that way. Why all the doubt?

After owning 100 or more cars it seems many have endearing traits and warts. None have been truly Perfect.

Certainly even Porsche features the 991 as more "refined". Why would anyone deny that the 997 feels more raw?

Everyone should drive what they like and have fun.
I'll do my small part in debunking this nonsense when it's time to trade. With any luck I'll find a leftover 2012 GTS priced close enough to a new 991. But I can hear it already. "There's a fool spending all that money on an outdated car just to prove a point".
Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

After owning several 997's and driven two 991's, they are both nice.

A person can prefer one or the other.

Just difficult to see why those who prefer the 991 seem to disbelieve that anyone could prefer the 997. Especially to the point of ridicule. Certainly more than a few appear to feel that way. Why all the doubt?

After owning 100 or more cars it seems many have endearing traits and warts. None have been truly Perfect.

Certainly even Porsche features the 991 as more "refined". Why would anyone deny that the 997 feels more raw?

Everyone should drive what they like and have fun.
It seems like you're a little of the pot calling the kettle black. Several of your posts appear to be ridicule back to the 991.

I would agree with your statement however that many may prefer the 997.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodsky
It seems like you're a little of the pot calling the kettle black. Several of your posts appear to be ridicule back to the 991.

I would agree with your statement however that many may prefer the 997.
No not really, but I understand why you say that. I have been a little hard on the 991 because I expected more. I've read some of the reviews, looked a the cars and driven them.

In truth, I don't think there is that much difference at all. How about that for a statement? Perhaps if I had them both on a track I could tell more. One would think that at some point stretching the rear almost three inches further under the engine would help, but I never drove a 991 that fast. OTOH, I've extensively tracked 997 GT3's. They are very good! So I guess in my case the jury is still out in the performance category. I have noted that when the GTR showed up and bitch-slapped the TT in all the rags, I didn't run out and go Nissan. I so-what-ed it. But many here wailed about electric nannies. Well, now ya got 'em, in spades, and now some praise them in song and story. All this TQ-vectoring and save-my-*** magic braking is cool now.

Moving on to interiors, it's very un-Porsche. So that's different. But I never drove Porsches for their interiors. I'll get an MB or BMW for that. So a plusher interior detracts from a Porsche experience for me.

And I'm sorry, but for the sake of honesty, I would see if I could get a "Symposer" delete if I did go 991. That is sillier than any plastic chrome do-dad and would come to irritate me quickly exactly because it is fake regardless of how it sounds. Can one turn it off?

Further, styling wise they took a big step back in a couple of departments. No one but a Porsche design engineer can love the sunroof that now looks like any GM and is no bigger in terms of sun and fresh air. Headlights aren't very attractive from the side and something looks "not quite right" about the rear skirt. But I guess it's a matter of taste.

Maybe too, I'm getting old because the 964/993 intrigues me far more than the new one. It seems there is no doubt what those are. I'm just not set on what this is. Sure, it's a Porsche. And a very capable conveyance I would think. Guess I just roll my eyes when someone tells me how much "better" the new one is and disses folks who say they would prefer a 997. So some of my comments are poking fun. If you like one, get one. Don't mind me.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

No not really, but I understand why you say that. I have been a little hard on the 991 because I expected more. I've read some of the reviews, looked a the cars and driven them.

In truth, I don't think there is that much difference at all. How about that for a statement? Perhaps if I had them both on a track I could tell more. One would think that at some point stretching the rear almost three inches further under the engine would help, but I never drove a 991 that fast. OTOH, I've extensively tracked 997 GT3's. They are very good! So I guess in my case the jury is still out in the performance category. I have noted that when the GTR showed up and bitch-slapped the TT in all the rags, I didn't run out and go Nissan. I so-what-ed it. But many here wailed about electric nannies. Well, now ya got 'em, in spades, and now some praise them in song and story. All this TQ-vectoring and save-my-*** magic braking is cool now.

Moving on to interiors, it's very un-Porsche. So that's different. But I never drove Porsches for their interiors. I'll get an MB or BMW for that. So a plusher interior detracts from a Porsche experience for me.

And I'm sorry, but for the sake of honesty, I would see if I could get a "Symposer" delete if I did go 991. That is sillier than any plastic chrome do-dad and would come to irritate me quickly exactly because it is fake regardless of how it sounds. Can one turn it off?

Further, styling wise they took a big step back in a couple of departments. No one but a Porsche design engineer can love the sunroof that now looks like any GM and is no bigger in terms of sun and fresh air. Headlights aren't very attractive from the side and something looks "not quite right" about the rear skirt. But I guess it's a matter of taste.

Maybe too, I'm getting old because the 964/993 intrigues me far more than the new one. It seems there is no doubt what those are. I'm just not set on what this is. Sure, it's a Porsche. And a very capable conveyance I would think. Guess I just roll my eyes when someone tells me how much "better" the new one is and disses folks who say they would prefer a 997. So some of my comments are poking fun. If you like one, get one. Don't mind me.
Now there ya go, finally a balanced perspective. Good post.

I actually really like the interior of the 991. But I do agree that the sunroof is odd. The good part about the 991, or maybe Porsche, is that the 997 doesn't look dated after the new model came out. Whether you prefer the new model or not in other Marques, the old one tends to look dated right away. From certain angles, I really like the 991. Front and side especially. Good part is that I still am happy with my 997.2 and am in no rush to get the 991. Although having owned a 964, I'm not really in a rush to get one of those. I could be very tempted by a 993 convertible though. Very pretty car and could be fun on the weekends.

Can you add a symposer to the 993? JK.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 145 Posts

I see you have the 40th as well as the 997.2 which Im considering. Would you mind reflecting on the differences bewteen those 2 (I sold my 40th to a buddy who lusted after it for years). Im toying with options of 997.1TT, 997.2 C4S and C2S right now. Thanks.
Zed
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 473 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
I dont have to own one to be tired of a bunch of guys trying just a little too hard to convince themselves (and everyone else) of their GTS purchse. It wouldnt be so bad if it was contained to 1 thread but there is a new one (or 2) everyday
Did it ever occur to you that maybe it's because a lot of people feel that way? Makes sense to me!

Tom
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
That statement is made by those who had no real previous experience with the PDK 997.2. PAG was smart forcing launch 991 cars with PDK only and with SC/Sport on the basic package and most cars with Sport Plus. Test drives highlight what Sport/Sport Plus does and the tester has an 'epiphany' about PDK.

The 'Symposer' adds to the magic, by enhancing the PDK blipped downshift sounds directly in the cabin.
So the PDK hardware and software is the same in 991 and 997.2? A couple of weeks ago the sales manager in my local P dealer went on and on about how different (and better) the 991 PDK performs without giving specific info about what has changed. Would love to hear from someone with in-depth technical knowledge on this topic.

I don't really care one way or the other about the symposer other than I'd rather have a symposer than be a poser.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stumil
So the PDK hardware and software is the same in 991 and 997.2? A couple of weeks ago the sales manager in my local P dealer went on and on about how different (and better) the 991 PDK performs without giving specific info about what has changed. Would love to hear from someone with in-depth technical knowledge on this topic.

I don't really care one way or the other about the symposer other than I'd rather have a symposer than be a poser.
While I have no idea if it's the same or not, the question for me is; just how fast do you need to shift? PDK on a .1 is still faster than you ever will be. Even the best drivers can turn times as fast or faster just putting it in S+.

Where do you drive where a few tens of milliseconds matters?

I think if you have a Symposer you are already dangerously close to being a poseur...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

While I have no idea if it's the same or not, the question for me is; just how fast do you need to shift? PDK on a .1 is still faster than you ever will be. Even the best drivers can turn times as fast or faster just putting it in S+.

Where do you drive where a few tens of milliseconds matters?

I think if you have a Symposer you are already dangerously close to being a poseur...
Oh man... This is getting dirty! It's like uh, 'car survivor'.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Nah, everyone should have fun

It's just a car...
Old 03-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but what makes it "fake"? My understanding is that the Symposer is a tuned port that provides an acoustic link to the engine compartment, ducting actual intake sound into the cabin. It's not artificial, electronically amplified, or sound that's played over the stereo system like in the new M5, it's the real sound of the engine. People sometimes install aftermarket airboxes and air filters in part to hear more intake sound. Heck, sometimes I roll down the windows just to hear more exhaust and engine sound. Is the Symposer really that much different? BTW the Symposer can be "turned off". The acoustic port is open only when the Sport button is engaged.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

+1
Old 03-25-2012, 12:20 AM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GTS is Imperfect and That Makes it More Fun

Guys- weigh in:

The 991 oozes quality and rails corners and is quick and posts a faster time at the Ring than a 997 GT3....all good

But....... the challenge to master the imperfections, the roadfeel and the character have been diluted in the quest for perfection.

The imperfect shorter wheelbase and go-cart feel of the GTS .........is more fun dare I say? Sport exhaust works for me. Don't need no sound symposer.

UJ

Last edited by unclejosh; 03-25-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S