Sponsored by:

Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
One is the actual sound the device is making, the other is a derivative physically directed to the surface of a candy-assed tuned port and ultimate diaphragm to actually make the sound.
You're already using a tuned port and diaphram to hear every sound your car makes; it's called your ear. I'm just saying that everyone's processing of sound waves is personal and subjective. There's really no such thing as "actual sound", just your perception of it. The symposer simply adds some additional real data points, that would otherwise be lost, for your brain to process. It seems to me that not being able to hear the intake sound would be a problem for someone like you who wants to hear all of the "actual sound" that your engine is making. You must hate listening to recorded music. All that fake manipulation of sound, the processing, the speakers, the diaphrams, the horror......

Enough, I get it, you don't like the symposer. Looking forward to the pics of your Friday surprise.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

I drove the 991S for a good bit and the symposer sounds great and doesnt sound fake at all. LIek the posts have said, sound all perception just like all other senses. In this case, it is not syntehsized and I think it is a great idea bcos you get hear the engine note well. My vote, if means anything, is with the symposer advocates.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Fred, Mike grab a chair

One is the actual sound the device is making, the other is a derivative physically directed to the surface of a candy-assed tuned port and ultimate diaphragm to actually make the sound.

One is the actual sound, the 360 deg radiance, echo and sublime dynamic timbre and range of a source. The other a speaker cone and tube.

Chalk and cheese physically and intellectually for me.

But I'll drink to both cuz I love Porsches!

Got a treat comin' this Friday. Guess it's an early Good Friday for me.

Pics to follow...
Come on. How about a hint!!!

Quick Reply: Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S