Sponsored by:

Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed.:9388025
I see you have the 40th as well as the 997.2 which Im considering. Would you mind reflecting on the differences bewteen those 2 (I sold my 40th to a buddy who lusted after it for years). Im toying with options of 997.1TT, 997.2 C4S and C2S right now. Thanks.
Zed
The 997.2 is better in pretty much every area. It's noticeably quicker and you can feel the extra 40 HP and torque. I think that Porsche may be sandbagging the numbers because it feels really quick. The ride is also better. I have Spasm which lowers the car and i pretty much drive in normal mode which is smoother than the 40th. Sport mode is pretty stiff. The interior is a big step up. The only mildly disappointing item is exhaust note. I'm OK with it, but will likely add PSE so I can have options. I'm very happy with the 997.2S.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 110 Posts

I ordered a 991S but I am keeping 2007 C4S Targa too bcos the two cars feel so different to drive. You know that they both 911s the moment you gun the engine and start driving, but I cant let go of my 997.1 yet. At a trade in of 50k, it is easier to keep mine than a brand new GTS!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe I'm missing something, but what makes it "fake"? My understanding is that the Symposer is a tuned port that provides an acoustic link to the engine compartment, ducting actual intake sound into the cabin. It's not artificial, electronically amplified, or sound that's played over the stereo system like in the new M5, it's the real sound of the engine. People sometimes install aftermarket airboxes and air filters in part to hear more intake sound. Heck, sometimes I roll down the windows just to hear more exhaust and engine sound. Is the Symposer really that much different? BTW the Symposer can be "turned off". The acoustic port is open only when the Sport button is engaged.
Well, it travels through an acoustically tuned port that terminates in the cabin. The port didn't just happen, it was engineered to make it sound the way it does. It's not the natural sound of the engine, but an artificially enhanced one, that is scientifically designed to excite the driver. I know of no car that does this and would not buy any other marque that did it either.

Fake, says I

How many early posts extolled the "new exhaust note"? Now, crickets... with the possible exception of the few who have actually ordered it, no one I know thinks it's cool. But that's OK, if you like it fine. Honest and true. I don't mean to detract from anyone's fun. I said my piece far earlier on the car. But I stumbled back here and some were still acting as if those who were happy with their GTS's or what not were just kidding themselves. So I chimed in.

FWIW, the Symposer is not the only reason I won't be ordering the New Porsche after 5 gens of doing exactly that. Unlike the past renditions, it just "don't float my boat". Not an indictment, just an opinion with listed justification.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

and so it continues.....i can afford a new one if i wanted one blah blah blah

i am going to go and try and be happy now
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vern1

school was challenging, wasn't it?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Well, it travels through an acoustically tuned port that terminates in the cabin. The port didn't just happen, it was engineered to make it sound the way it does. It's not the natural sound of the engine, but an artificially enhanced one, that is scientifically designed to excite the driver. I know of no car that does this and would not buy any other marque that did it either.
That's a very narrow interpretation, IMHO. Do you think that exhaust systems (including factory systems) aren't tuned to produce a specific sound and provide aural excitement? Why is providing a way to hear intake sound different than enhancing the exhaust note through different headers, muffler designs, gundo hacks, eliminating sound deadening, etc? Virtually every sporting marque puts a priority on developing a specific sound for their cars, and finding ways for the driver to hear it, so you're going to have a very small selection to choose from if you only want "natural sound". It's true of virtually all exhaust and intake sounds (not just the Symposer); they don't just happen, they are engineered to make a car sound the way it does.......

Last edited by Mike in CA; 03-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Symposer, loud exhausts, and so on are just a waste of acoustic energy.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 470 Likes on 269 Posts

Man you are relentless........and way defensive....tough way to live!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

The wannabe is back.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

That's a very narrow interpretation, IMHO. Do you think that exhaust systems (including factory systems) aren't tuned to produce a specific sound and provide aural excitement? Why is providing a way to hear intake sound different than enhancing the exhaust note through different headers, muffler designs, gundo hacks, eliminating sound deadening, etc? Virtually every sporting marque puts a priority on developing a specific sound for their cars, and finding ways for the driver to hear it, so you're going to have a very small selection to choose from if you only want "natural sound". It's true of virtually all exhaust and intake sounds (not just the Symposer); they don't just happen, they are engineered to make a car sound the way it does.......
Fair question and I'll explain my POV;

1) While exhaust notes are indeed tuned, and aftermarket purveyors spend mightily to obtain a specific tone, I know of none that tune the sound of an intake. But I could be wrong

2) Factory and aftermarket exhaust units perform a specific function for the vehicle and are considered pretty much non-optional as a part of the package. Even a Cup car has much more to its exhaust system than bare headers. And while the systems all have their harmonics, they also carry gases away from the engine

3) The Symposer is the first time that I am aware of, and may indeed be the first time in history (certainly Porsche history) that engine noise is piped into the interior of the vehicle by a device specifically design for no other function than pumping noise into the interior. The device fails to enhance performance at all and is specifically designed, at Porsche's own admission to simply "excite" the driver. Yes Porsche has excited drivers before, but typically using performance, not the simulacrum of such

4) It is the first "noise enhancer" that cannot be appreciated outside the cabin.

5) Porsche didn't hide the fact that it had a "noise maker", but many a customer was tacitly mislead as to it's nature and waxed at length about the "exhaust note" and I'll bet a dime very few salesmen told them, "no, it's tuned intake noise" on their test drive.

Hey, whatever. Just kinda silly for me. I'm glad you can shut it off. Maybe there is hope for me afterall. Now, about that sunroof...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Fair question and I'll explain my POV;

1) While exhaust notes are indeed tuned, and aftermarket purveyors spend mightily to obtain a specific tone, I know of none that tune the sound of an intake. But I could be wrong

2) Factory and aftermarket exhaust units perform a specific function for the vehicle and are considered pretty much non-optional as a part of the package. Even a Cup car has much more to its exhaust system than bare headers. And while the systems all have their harmonics, they also carry gases away from the engine

3) The Symposer is the first time that I am aware of, and may indeed be the first time in history (certainly Porsche history) that engine noise is piped into the interior of the vehicle by a device specifically design for no other function than pumping noise into the interior. The device fails to enhance performance at all and is specifically designed, at Porsche's own admission to simply "excite" the driver. Yes Porsche has excited drivers before, but typically using performance, not the simulacrum of such

4) It is the first "noise enhancer" that cannot be appreciated outside the cabin.

5) Porsche didn't hide the fact that it had a "noise maker", but many a customer was tacitly mislead as to it's nature and waxed at length about the "exhaust note" and I'll bet a dime very few salesmen told them, "no, it's tuned intake noise" on their test drive.

Hey, whatever. Just kinda silly for me. I'm glad you can shut it off. Maybe there is hope for me afterall. Now, about that sunroof...
No point in continuing this ad nauseum: just to comment on two points. As to #4, BMW is using exhaust sound piped over the audio system on the M5; at least Porsche isn't THAT lame. And as for #5, Porsche HAS made changes to enhance the exhaust note as well as adding the Symposer so they haven't been misleading anyone on that score. The sunroof? I'll have to agree with you there.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

school was challenging, wasn't it?
so witty - all 3 of you - you are relentless arent you

have fun boys - enjoy those classic gts's - i wish i could afford one - oh wait i can but my 997.1 and 993 are so much more raw and visceral, and my black is so much blacker than that 991 thing

as i said on that other thread, you guys are hilarious
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have fun boys - enjoy those classic gts's - i wish i could afford one - oh wait i can but my 997.1 and 993 are so much more raw and visceral, and my black is so much blacker than that 991 thing

I would ask why you are reading this stuff but wait! YOU ARE A TROLL. We must not waste time on trolls. As for this thread, if I had to choose between GTS and 991 I would buy the GTS. The truth however is that I really just want to keep my 06 997S. Come to think of it, why am I reading this thread?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

reading is oh so difficult when you have to comprehend. Now don't say it's cuz you're Canadian. I know some pretty smart ones.

You, OTOH? Not so much. Consult with Dean Wormer would do you some good.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

No point in continuing this ad nauseum: just to comment on two points. As to #4, BMW is using exhaust sound piped over the audio system on the M5; at least Porsche isn't THAT lame. And as for #5, Porsche HAS made changes to enhance the exhaust note as well as adding the Symposer so they haven't been misleading anyone on that score. The sunroof? I'll have to agree with you there.
Hey Mike, I'm with ya

Won't find a new Bimmer in my garage either. Wile I think P was goofy, BMW has stolen the Show with that.

In truth, I think both (at different volume levels) have spoken about their respect for the consumer. Geez, they are almost Politicians now...

Quick Reply: Impressions: GTS Owner Drives a 991S