Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well...... It finally happened.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

well, i look at it purely from engineering standpoint. it is damn difficult to make lexus V6 design to blow.
with M97/M96 it is very easy. there were people who did oil samples, did all preventive measures and yet stil out of the sudden they get engine parts with oil spilled all around the street.
for any sensible person it means - check with suncoast how much a replacement motor can cost and factor this price into your long term financial plan, if you want to be 'safe'. pretending that any of those events are rare enough to be discarded is imho a wrong strategy.

as of 997.2 motors - oldest ones are barely 4 year old now, who knows. still, considering amount of '05 cars and 996 cars that went over IMS kaboom we did not see anything close to that with 9A1 motors. that is what i can say - a definitive 'extremely rare' failure situation.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you mention the Lexus V6...

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...e-toyota-crown

But you're right, no one thinks about Lexus engines blowing, even though they were probably more likely to do so than an M96. I think it's because Porsche owners love their cars so much more than Lexus owners that we worry so much (and I say this as someone who has owned three Lexuses), combined with a fair number of P-cars that are essentially track cars that sit for a long time, and then get driven above their limits.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

good link btw - it shows what gets done in car industry when major design flaws gets uncovered.
my lexus runs since 1998 and i got it in year 2000. 200k+ miles on it now. and still runs strong.
my 997 has 56K miles now. will see how long wil lit last, considering i dump almost $10K annually into it to keep it running in top shape.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:00 PM
LENELSA
Advanced

One thing that doesn't sit well with me regarding Porsche NA is that , OK my CPO expires May 2012. I've had the tranny replaced and now the IMS failure.
The engine is getting replaced Thank God. But as of May 2012 CPO is done.
Porsche does not put a warranty on the replacement engine.
Now granted if something were to happen to this new engine I'm sure Porsche will do DUE diligence in looking over the issue, But I do call BS on the fact that they would not out of the gate throw a warranty on the new engine.

Am I thinking too much on this topic.

This is my 1st Porsche (Lifelong dream since I was a kid)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LENELSA
One thing that doesn't sit well with me regarding Porsche NA is that , OK my CPO expires May 2012. I've had the tranny replaced and now the IMS failure.
Now granted if something were to happen to this new engine I'm sure Porsche will do DUE diligence in looking over the issue, But I do call BS on the fact that they would not out of the gate throw a warranty on the new engine.

So, the replacement engine doesn't come with ANY warranty?! Is that what they said?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even salvage yard used engines come with warranties, I would hope and think Porsche would warrant the engine for some period of time..
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My understanding is if anything is fixed under warranty what is fixed, parts and labor, is covered for the time the warranty remains in effect. Check with your service manager, though just to be clear. (And read the warrranty/repair section of your car's owners manual package... IIRC this is covered in that as well.)

For example, if the engine was replaced under warranty one day before the warranty expired the replacement engine's warranty would expire the next day.

Now if this were to happen -- or something like it -- one would expect some goodwill, in fact 100% goodwill probably in line with what the warranty would have been had the engine been replaced outside of warranty, or IIRC 1 year labor, 2 years parts or 24K miles. But there is AFIAK no guarantee. And it might depend upon what is found during a partial teardown of the engine, with a DME dump, even an oil analysis, whether there is any goodwill or not, even after just that hypothetical one day.

While replacement engines have been known to blow up they thankfully blow up very rarely. And they generally fail sooner rather than later.

My best advice is to after the engine is installed is to drive the car as much as is reasonably possible. Follow proper break in procedures. Unless forbidden change the oil/filter early, at 500 to 1000 miles then again at 2K miles (end of break in).

Then enjoy what will almost certainly prove to be a wonderful car for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

did they tell you that? odd.
i assumed it comes in such cases with 2 years warranty on a motor.

replacements they give will have all recent fixes and new IMS bearing, so, it should be good for a while. you can sell it afterwards with a premium for a brand new engine and replace with a 997.2 car is you want.
or beleive into 'extremely rare' issues with M97 motors. all depends of how much money you want to operate with. imho replacement motors rarely blow right after replacement,so, decide for yourself.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
did they tell you that? odd.
i assumed it comes in such cases with 2 years warranty on a motor.

replacements they give will have all recent fixes and new IMS bearing, so, it should be good for a while. you can sell it afterwards with a premium for a brand new engine and replace with a 997.2 car is you want.
or beleive into 'extremely rare' issues with M97 motors. all depends of how much money you want to operate with. imho replacement motors rarely blow right after replacement,so, decide for yourself.
I also thought those engines come with 2-yr warranty.

I think the OP has to clarify that, I highly doubt if it comes with no warranty. Maybe what he meant is that CPO is not extended, but the engine must be!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For example, if the engine was replaced under warranty one day before the warranty expired the replacement engine's warranty would expire the next day.

Thats hard to believe.....
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter82

Thats hard to believe.....
I have talked to service managers about having problems fixed under warranty and their advice is to not delay. The sooner something is fixed the longer the existing warranty has to run before it expires.

Many times -- and I was guilty of this myself early on -- the thinking is to wait until the last minute to have something fixed under warranty and then get another 1 year labor, 2 years parts, 24K miles warranty at least on the thing fixed.

As I understand it, it doesn't work this way.

This is why I always advise someone who's car has a problem to have this fixed as soon as possible to maximize the amount of time the fix is covered by the car's existing warranty.

Now a replacement engine is to put it mildly a special case.

Using the extreme example if a replacement engine replaced one day before the end of the warranty failed the next day out of warranty and if the dealer/factory failed to extend any goodwill (unless it was clear the engine failed due to say abuse, mistreatment, etc.) I think the customer would have a good case of consumer fraud.

The car owner is entitled to reasonable skill, experience, and care when having his car fixed. To have a new engine/replacement engine expire the very next day and the dealer/factory throw up their hands and say that's too bad...well, the customer could then argue he and his car did not receive what he was entitled too.

Regardless, whenever someone is faced with this situation he needs to get this nailed down by reading the sections of the owners manual and warranty coverage and speaking with the service manager and get some understanding (in writing if possible, if not take notes, note dates, times, who said what, etc.) and do this *before* the engine is replaced if at all possible.

If the customer learns that when the existing warranty expires any and all warranty on the new/replacement engine expires, he should argue/push/negotiate (plead?) for something over and beyond this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM
stab1991
Advanced

You spend $10,000 a year in maintaining your 997........
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the engine with out of pocket money (i.e. car was out of warranty) then you have a 2 yrs parts and labor warranty. if engine is replaced while under warranty even if only one day left, then engine will be under warranty for the original warranty period, one day only. That doesn't mean that they may goodwill it
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

No extension of warranty was the policy a few years ago when the engine was replaced in my Boxster. Porsche considers it to be similar to having your radio or a headlight replaced. Would you expect your warranty to be extended because they replaced the radio? Granted a motor is a big dollar item, but it's still just a "part".

That said, if your warranty expired the day after you got the car back and the motor grenaded the next day, PCNA would probably give you a goodwill replacement. I don't know what kind of coverage you get if you buy a new crate motor yourself, though.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Where did you come up with this figure?

Are you an in the know Porsche AG employee?
Focus less on the exact percentage point (which we'll never know) and more on the principle I referred to.

Quick Reply: Well...... It finally happened.