Sponsored by:

Well...... It finally happened.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
This whole thing seems very personal and emotional to you for some reason. Serial posting trying to turn it into a non-issue. You keep pointing to the fact that after market warranties are being sold as proof of your theory. By that reasoning, hurricanes hitting the Gulf coast is a non-issue too since home insurance can still be bought for a fraction of the cost of a catastrophic failure the house.

To give you an example, I know a guy who owns a $6 million house with almost direct exposure to the Gulf Of Mexico. His annual insurance which includes dwelling, wind and flood costs him $26,000/year. That's less than half of 1% of the value of the house. For a 997.1, let's use a value of $50,000 for the car and $3,000 for the extended warranty. Comes to 6% of the value of the car even though the extended policy only covers mechanical issues and would never be on the hook for the total loss of the car. Still don't think they allow for some unusual exposure here? The extended warranty I bought for an -01 E46 M3 cost less than one third of the one I bought for my -06 997.
I don't see how it is emotional to me. I am just trying to bring in some actual facts, as opposed to anecdotal stories along the lines of "I saw an engine fail, thus all M96 engines will fail." If anyone has objective facts to the contrary, I'm all ears. But it is frustrating as a new Porsche owner to come to a site like this for information, and find that a good deal of posts on an issue like this attract little more than unsupported gossip and fear mongering.

And I think your example proves the point. I'm sure the insurance company has calculated that there's a very small chance of his house receiving severe damage solely because of its proximity to the Gulf. Again, an example of hype leading people to overestimate the risks, while people with the actual data see it as a very low risk proposition.

For the 100th time, I am not saying that IMS failures are a "non-issue" nor that it is impossible for your friend's house to get destroyed by a Gulf-related event. I'm saying they're both very unlikely for any given owner, and that incessantly talking about either them as if they are an inevitability when there is an extremely low chance of them ever happening is both counterproductive and a waste of time.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by holden997
if the engine number is 68509790 and below, unforunately it stilll has the dual row IMS bearing.
Not likely. Dual-row bearings ceased sometime in MY2001.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
My advice is to drive the car more, read forums less and have spare $20k on savings account if you have no warranty left on your 997.1 car. Or pay even more if you want to trade in your 997.1 car for '09 997.2 with cpo.
Fortunately I was able to buy a 6-yr exclusionary warranty for $4600 on my '05 just as CPO was expiring, so for another 5 yrs at least I'm covered in case of catastrophic failure. So far a couple "minor" failures in the first year have already offset a third of the warranty's cost, and I fully expect it to be at least a wash by the time it expires. I also put in the LN bearing when I did the clutch at 33,000 miles. The OEM bearing was in perfect condition, so unless I got a defective LN bearing, I think it ought to last even longer given its better materials and de-sealed design. I'm putting it out of my mind, otherwise what's the point owning the car if I'm going to have the enjoyment spoilt by continual fretting? By the time the warranty expires the car will be 12 yrs old, and I'll decide whether to keep it and drive it until it dies, then sell it for parts or track conversion.

What I will absolutely not do is sink $20K into putting in a new motor. I'd surely take that $20K and put it forth toward a newer car.

Originally Posted by soverystout
To address 2 of your questions, the LN bearing isn't "perfect". A very small number of engines with a single row LN beearings have failed (I think a total of 3). I don't believe they have concluded that the bearing was the cause of failure either.
As of last read on LN's website it's up to four failures, and they are being adamant that the retrofit should not be done on a car where the OEM bearing has failed, because debris already present in the engine can get into the LN bearing (since it is unsealed) and cause premature failure. LN's problem in tracing the source of failures of their bearings is lack of pertinent data on variables. Most of the M96 engines (2001 part-2005, vs 1999-2001 part) use the single-row bearing, which in itself could account partly for why more failures have occurred with that configuration. Then there's the issue of what debris was present in cars where the LN bearing failed. Then there's the issue of installation bodges. Finally, they (and I fully concur) believe there are tolerances in the IMS shafts themselves (and parallelism with the attaching bolt/flange) which may cause certain ones to run hotter and deteriorate prematurely.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
To address 2 of your questions, the LN bearing isn't "perfect". A very small number of engines with a single row LN beearings have failed (I think a total of 3). I don't believe they have concluded that the bearing was the cause of failure either. The dual row bearing for the 97-01 M96 engines are doing very well.

The OP will get a reman m96 engine with all of the upgrades that Porsche has made to the engine, including the larger (unserviceable) IMS bearing. It's unserviceable because the bearing itself is larger than the hole in the engine case. The orginal 97-04 M96 engines had IMS bearings that can be extracted through the engine case hole because they are smaller.

To another posters comment, most engines in the 05 997 were M96 engines, not M97.
Thank you Jim, appreciate the detailed response. I will keep this in mind going forward.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
holden997
Advanced

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Holden - can you please source this information? From where did you get those engine numbers?

And if those numbers are correct, approximately when do you think engine 68509791 was placed into it's chassis? That date would at least give us some indication, within a few months, of what production date to make sure we're buying after.
The information on the IMS/engine number were extracted from the 2005/06 workshop manual. The info is on page 426. I believe you can still get a copy @ 997 6speedonline. As for manufacture date, there is no way to tell, same as for a VIN. You will need to crawl under to check the engine no. The number is printed about 1" above the bottom of the oil pan, on the left of the pan, driver side. It is a dot-matrix print and should start with "M97......". For reference, my engine number is M97/01 68616946 with a manufacture date 03/2006.

Hope this helps,
Holden
Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Fortunately I was able to buy a 6-yr exclusionary warranty for $4600 on my '05 just as CPO was expiring, so for another 5 yrs at least I'm covered in case of catastrophic failure.
aftermarket warranties may be tricky in that area when it comes to really big issues. whom did you buy it from?
did you try to find what actual fine print do they have for engine replacement cases?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
dw.metro
Racer

Originally Posted by holden997
Lenelsa,

Sorry to hear about your engine but I'm glad you're covered with the CPO.

Being a 2005 997s, your car has the M97 engine but it might not have the new improved large single row IMS bearing.
To determine if your M97 engine has the improved IMS, you will need to check your engine number.
if the engine number is 68509790 and below, unforunately it stilll has the dual row IMS bearing.
if the engine number is 68509791 and above, it will have the new large single row IMS. The IMS cover also has the 22mm nut.

Can you please let us know your engine number.

Thanks
Do these above numbers apply if you have the M96 engine? My car is a 2006 C2 with a build date of Sept, 2005.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM
holden997
Advanced

Originally Posted by dw.metro
Do these above numbers apply if you have the M96 engine? My car is a 2006 C2 with a build date of Sept, 2005.
I believe the M96 has it own set of number. In your case just have a look at the number printed on your engine. Probably it will start with "M96...."
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,009 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Don't post percentage figures as though they are fact when in fact they are the result of a VERY unscientific poll.
The poll may have been unscientific but it was still based on a sampling of 400 997 owners. What evidence do you have that the result is wildly inaccurate?

Any other sage advice for me?
Just the same as earlier. Does it really matter if the percentage is 2% or 6%? Porsche knows they installed a flawed part that in some cases leads to the destruction of the engine at the owner's expense sans warranty. I think Porsche sucks for not taking responsibility and you don't seem to see a problem at all with their behavior. That's all.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

IMS is absolutely over-blown. Definitely M96 and 2005 and early 2006 models have a higher chance of IMS failure (around 1%), while IMS failure is VERY RARE (less than 1%) in the newer design mid-2006-2008 models.

I was just at a my Porsche indy and he said that IMS failure is SO RARE even on 996, that he absolutely wouldn't worry about it one bit on 997.

I think the bigger problem is, Porsche KNEW their earlier design was flawed, and despite making millions off their loyal customers, they do not warranty their M96 engines, while they SHOULD! Even Honda has a 10yr powertrain warranty on their engines... I can't understand how can Porsche sell $100K+ car and NOT TO STAND behind their engineering for at least 10yrs of major engine failure?! I think not enough people complained or took them to court, so they can just deny coverage and say screw you!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The poll may have been unscientific but it was still based on a sampling of 400 997 owners. What evidence do you have that the result is wildly inaccurate?

Just the same as earlier. Does it really matter if the percentage is 2% or 6%? Porsche knows they installed a flawed part that in some cases leads to the destruction of the engine at the owner's expense sans warranty. I think Porsche sucks for not taking responsibility and you don't seem to see a problem at all with their behavior. That's all.
I disagree with you first point, while 100% AGREE with your second point!

The official numbers are 1% IMS failure. The poll here is absolutely inaccurate, sample size and manner it's taken cannot be relied upon for anything whatsoever. For instance, IF you had an IMS failure you will be MORE LIKELY to be on Rennlist discussing it, than if you have no issues and were driving around instead of posting here.

Porsche definitely should have taken more responsibility for their engineering. As I said in my post above, even Honda gives you 10yr warranty against engine failure, I cannot believe if someone who bought a brand new 2005 for $100K+, and had it failed in 2010 NOT to be pissed and to go back and buy another Porsche?! Terrible on their part, not standing behind their engineering.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Sorry if someone has already raised this, but I am puzzled by the following: I have seen the threads re IMS failure for pampered 997s, and I understand the logic behind that (and drive accordingly), but how do we reconcile that with the reported jump in price of aftermarket warranties for cars with more miles? Wouldn't the underwriters have sufficient data to know they should not give low mileage cars a price break?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
IMS is absolutely over-blown. Definitely M96 and 2005 and early 2006 models have a higher chance of IMS failure (around 1%), while IMS failure is VERY RARE (less than 1%) in the newer design mid-2006-2008 models.
you are not a mathematician probably, as for probability computation you got to look at randomness of a selection you choose to work with, like a selection of porsche owners represented on 6speed and rennlist like forums is almost perfectly random and can be accepted for a selection slice.
then out of that selection you look at percentage of those owners who had a particular event happened to them. then you approximate it out into original pie.

and to see what actual whole number is you got to multiply, not to divide that number to see how it applies to whole population when you need to do your approximation. so far here on rennlist poll we had, what, 6%? ask on 996 forum what percentage of owners had an IMS retrofit. you`ll get above 50% somewhat. ask then also how many are on a second engine now. then you can re-assess your VERY RARE.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by utkinpol
aftermarket warranties may be tricky in that area when it comes to really big issues. whom did you buy it from?
did you try to find what actual fine print do they have for engine replacement cases?
Gee, no, the salesman was such a nice, polite chap I figured why bother reading the contract. Do you think I should have? In my defence I wouldn't have understand it anyway, being as I'm such a slow-witted and gullible fool.

This is about the dozenth extended auto warranty I've purchased. The Fidelity warranty the dealer wanted to sell me (for twice the cost of the one I bought) states that breakdowns caused by parts that wear-out are covered only to 50K miles (after that, to be covered, a part must have failed due to a defect of manufacture). My contract has no such clause. I purchased it through Paragon, who I discovered mentioned whilst perusing LN's web page on the IMS solutions. Then I asked my service advisor (aware that his dealership sells Fidelity) as well as the independent who installed my LN bearing, and both said they'd dealt with Paragon warranties and had had no problems. They said that virtually every warranty company insists upon sending an adjuster to the shop to examine claims much in excess of $1000.

As with most warranties, mine specifies that a single claim cannot exceed the current dealer value of the car. So if the car's value drops below $20K (the cost of replacing the engine) I would be liable for paying up to the difference, but they will not deny the claim entirely. And I daresay I predict an '05 C2 has a way to go before it's worth <$20K.

Worst-case scenario and the warranty company were to try denying a claim for an engine grenade, my son owes me one for putting him through law school
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

so, Paragon, OK. it helps. can you pls PM me web site or agent info?
what do they _specifically_ require for dead engine coverage? will work done at indi echanic be covered or does car have to go to an authorized dealer forpost-mortem inspection?

My CPO expires in Aug 2012 so i am kinda slowly shopping for same thing now, but so far most reviews i had done were, well,not very promising. My mechanic told me bluntly that his experience is close to 90% negative to get anything out of aftermarket insurances in case when whole engine goes kaput.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
I disagree with you first point, while 100% AGREE with your second point!

The official numbers are 1% IMS failure. The poll here is absolutely inaccurate, sample size and manner it's taken cannot be relied upon for anything whatsoever. For instance, IF you had an IMS failure you will be MORE LIKELY to be on Rennlist discussing it, than if you have no issues and were driving around instead of posting here.

Porsche definitely should have taken more responsibility for their engineering. As I said in my post above, even Honda gives you 10yr warranty against engine failure, I cannot believe if someone who bought a brand new 2005 for $100K+, and had it failed in 2010 NOT to be pissed and to go back and buy another Porsche?! Terrible on their part, not standing behind their engineering.
+1

Quick Reply: Well...... It finally happened.