Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like to catch up on this thread during coffee breaks.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:12 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a thread about engine's reliability but no one has defined what reliability really mean yet.

For a better understanding of what I stand for, let me share my view.

First of all, reliability in general, not only regarding the engine, means the brand ability to a) acknowledge an obvious abnormal behavior of some car component; b) give a sound explanation and provide a long term fix for it; c) at a reasonable cost for the customer if the factory warranty has already expired.

Let me give you an example, I have already told you that I find my BMW 1M Coupe's engine reliable, however it goes without saying that it had some reliability issues promptly acknowledge, explained and solved outside the warranty period at a reasonable cost :

1. Charge pipe replacement

2. Water pump replacement

The engine still runs strong at 53k miles.

Now, can we say the same about Porsche in general and the 997.2's engine issues in particular when they arise?

That's the fundamental question here: do we trust Porsche's corporate politics or do we have to look for the most reliable Porsche's engine out there based on reliability stats and engine's technology to avoid dealing with the former?

Or yet still, do we just want to drive a Porsche at all cost?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
This is a thread about engine's reliability but no one has defined what reliability really mean yet.

That's the fundamental question here: do we trust Porsche's corporate politics or do we have to look for the most reliable Porsche's engine out there based on reliability stats and engine's technology to avoid dealing with the former?

Your Camry is calling.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Almost 12 hours without any posts. You should really quit bumping your own thread. It reeks of desperation and an insatiable desire for attention.

It's time to start posting boobies...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Almost 12 hours without any posts. You should really quit bumping your own thread. It reeks of desperation and an insatiable desire for attention.

It's time to start posting boobies...
It's not even his thread… he just hi-jacked it. But now, his Camry is calling.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Most of time it feels like people just don't care as long as they can say they drive a Porsche... good for them, this thread definitely is NOT for them!

This thread is for people that do care, right?!

So, what do they care if someone cares?! Isn't that obsessive?! Go out and drive your Porsche and be happy, isn't that the most logical thing for them to do?!

Who do they want to fool?! Do they really think they are smarter than the next guy?!

It's not even funny... it's a kids joke!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Most of time it feels like people just don't care as long as they can say they drive Porsche... good for them, this thread definitely is NOT for them!

You should realize that several posters on this thread own/owned many 911s of several generations (from air-cooled classics to 991s) and are fully aware of their engines' reliability characteristics. Because they have that experience they know what is reasonable and how to deal with it. Most of these posters care less for the badge and do not participate in 'cars & coffee' events or Friday night boulevard cruising. They know what they drive and deal with it. Those who can't, must drive Camrys.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Most of time it feels like people just don't care as long as they can say they drive a Porsche... good for them, this thread definitely is NOT for them!

So, what do they care if someone cares?! Isn't that obsessive?! Go out and drive your Porsche and be happy, isn't that the most logical thing for them to do?!

Who do they want to fool?! Do they really think they are smarter than the next guy?!

WTF is this?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
You should realize that several posters on this thread own/owned many 911s of several generations (from air-cooled classics to 991s) and are fully aware of their engines' reliability characteristics. Because they have that experience they know what is reasonable and how to deal with it. Most of these posters care less for the badge and do not participate in 'cars & coffee' events or Friday night boulevard cruising. They know what they drive and deal with it. Those who can't, must drive Camrys.
You really are convinced that you know more than the next guy... then it's really a shame that you end up saying things like this:

The PDK is not water cooled. It is air-cooled and it has its own oil cooler radiator/heat exchanger (on all models starting in 2009).

Go drive your Porsche!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

What you say!?!!?!?!

Old 03-30-2015, 10:37 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a better understanding of what I stand for, let me share my view.

First of all, reliability in general, not only regarding the engine, means the brand ability to a) acknowledge an obvious abnormal behavior of some car component; b) give a sound explanation and provide a long term fix for it; c) at a reasonable cost for the customer if the factory warranty has already expired.

Let me give you an example, I have already told you that I find my BMW 1M Coupe's engine reliable, however it goes without saying that it had some reliability issues promptly acknowledge, explained and solved outside the warranty period at a reasonable cost :

1. Charge pipe replacement

2. Water pump replacement

The engine still runs strong at 53k miles.

Now, can we say the same about Porsche in general and the 997.2's engine issues in particular when they arise?

There's no "we" here...just you beating a dead horse to death and beyond! You lost me a long time ago, but this dribble is beyond anything sensible whatsoever. Please go back from whense you came. PLEASE!!!

The sky is not falling on the 997.2 Porsche. Move along, there is nothing to see here. There are very few reports of engine problems. Most of the posts are from happy owners who have their cars for the joy of driving. To quote FDR, "There is nothing to fear but fear itself".
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

You really are convinced that you know more than the next guy... then it's really a shame that you end up saying things like this:

Go drive your Porsche!
Air-cooled PDK radiator - air driven under the car via naca ports. -- WRONG.

I was wrong and CaymanPower right. The part below is an oil/coolant heat exchanger.

Last edited by ADias; 03-31-2015 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:00 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

And, for the case you didn't notice the BMW 1M's twin-turbocharged engine already had all the late technology back in 2011 that only have started to be introduced in the 911 one year later with the 991, that's the reason why the water pumps failure rate, or the high pressure fuel pumps failure rate for that matter, are about the same between BMW and Porsche because the suppliers, Bosch, Siemens or whoever, are exactly the same for both brands, the same goes for the fuel injectors and most of the other engine components... they are all german after all (not chinese or american).

The only thing Porsche engines do different is the frequency with which they smoke upon startup and score cylinder bores!

Only on very rare occasions such things happen with a BMW engine. Of course that BMW engines also have their own reliability issues like weak rod bearings or the NIKASIL bores of yore when exposed to high sulfur content fuels, just to mention a few.

Unfortunately, BMW doesn't make light weight, low center of gravity, fast and nimble cars like Porsche do, hence the reason I'm here - because Porsche sells more Porsches in the US than in any other part of the planet (ok, maybe they are selling more in China now but I don't know chinese nor I'm after Cayenne's... )

So, the meaningful reliability stats belong to this territory!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Air-cooled PDK radiator - air driven under the car via naca ports.

Man, for your own sake please don't insist on the same mistake... there are two coolant lines on that heat exhanger, one for supplying and other to return the coolant. That's an OIL/WATER heat exhanger!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

And, for the case you didn't notice the BMW 1M's twin-turbocharged engine already had all the late technology back in 2011 that only have started to be introduced in the 911 one year later with the 991, that's the reason why the water pumps failure rate, or the high pressure fuel pumps failure rate for that matter, are about the same between BMW and Porsche because the suppliers, Bosch, Siemens or whoever, are exactly the same for both brands, the same goes for the fuel injectors and most of the other engine components... they are all german after all (not chinese or american).

The only thing Porsche engines do different is the frequency with which they smoke upon startup and score cylinder bores!

Only on very rare occasions such things happen with a BMW engine.!
All of BMW's later model straight-6 engines (N52, N54, N55) utilize an electrically-driven water pump. Every person I know who's owned one has had them fail, including myself. The MA1/9A1 uses a traditional belt-driven water pump. Apples and oranges.

My 997.2 has 40K miles on it. It's never had any repairs of significance. By the time my previous car hit 40K miles (2007 335i with the same N54 engine as your 1M) the dealer had replaced both turbos, fixed a VANOS problem due to cam ledge bearing scoring and replaced the HPFP. The water pump blew out later in life, just like they all do with that engine. I also had to have the intake valves walnut shell/media blasted to remove carbon buildup and I had to have a faulty injector replaced.

BMW's modern V8 engines are even worse. There's currently a silent recall/"customer care" program taking place for those poor souls who own an N63 V8-engined car like a 550i. The top-mounted turbos cook everything under the hood leading to all sorts of collateral damage as Jake Raby would put it.

The MA1/9A1 may not be a perfect engine but you are unwise to use BMW as model of reliability.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability