Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
You bring up some great points. Enjoy your Camry.
I can understand that comment coming from a '996 Emeritus IMS Survivor'.

However, you really seem to have your priorities backwards... you see, for a die hard capitalist like myself needing to pay Camry bucks even without needing any additional warranty extension whatsoever in order to have peace of mind on the long run just feels plain wrong whilst I have some Porsche money ready to spend burning in my pocket!

Are you some kind of a communist, or what?!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading this entire thread, and I am wondering if it would be wise for me to install a third radiator on my 997.2 c2s 6MT that I track once a month. It gets hot in Texas, though I haven't notice any issues with overheating yet. hmmmm.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:22 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

for a grand, i would say its relatively cheap insurance... can't hurt to try imo.

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
I've been reading this entire thread, and I am wondering if it would be wise for me to install a third radiator on my 997.2 c2s 6MT that I track once a month. It gets hot in Texas, though I haven't notice any issues with overheating yet. hmmmm.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

what years did this occur? and how do you know this?

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Porsche went through at least three iterations of different piston/rings sets across the production years to try to solve the problem.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can understand that comment coming from a '996 Emeritus IMS Survivor'.

However, you really seem to have your priorities backwards... you see, for a die hard capitalist like myself needing to pay Camry bucks even without needing any additional warranty extension whatsoever in order to have peace of mind on the long run just feels plain wrong whilst I have some Porsche money ready to spend burning in my pocket!

Are you some kind of a communist, or what?!
More like a realist. Its clear you have concerns about the 997.2 engine. Fine. Don't buy a 997. I have concerns about the deli meat that's still in my fridge after 9 days. Everything I've read tells me it's not gonna taste very good and could very well make me sick.

Enjoy that turkey sandwich.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

As I said much earlier in this thread (should have bailed a long time ago), these opinions do nothing but cause grief and worse, devalue our cars. I've seen it with the 996, the 997.1 and now this.

Jake and I are well acquainted from my days of 996 ownership. I acknowledge that he is an expert in his field, but also feel he has successfully used these forums to promote his business. Fine. The IMS was an issue in the 996 and he capitalized on that. My personal belief is that the problem is overblown, but thanks to these forums, potential purchasers feel like every 996 is a ticking time bomb.

Lucky for Jake the 997.1 had the same issue. Insurance for a few more years of business.

Then the 997.2 arrived with no IMS issue to worry about. So now we get to discuss bore scoring. It's like a broken record that won't stop playing.

But it certain creates new angst and potential business for Jake and others for a few more years. Look at all the previously happy, carefree owners that are now concerned about driving their cars when it is cold outside.

As for CaymanPower, keep stirring the pot. My guess is you never will/never have owned a Porsche. If I am wrong, sorry...but all you are accomplishing here is to potentially make your eventual purchase a little less expensive.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

More like a realist. Its clear you have concerns about the 997.2 engine. Fine. Don't buy a 997. I have concerns about the deli meat that's still in my fridge after 9 days. Everything I've read tells me it's not gonna taste very good and could very well make me sick.

Enjoy that turkey sandwich.

Maybe you should extend your wealth care insurance if you intend to keep eating out of date deli meat for the next years...

I seem to remember that you did a warranty extension for your 2nd hand 996 with IMS failure coverage specifically in mind, among other things!

Money should buy you quality and peace of mind from the get-go, not the other way around!

There's a difference between being a capitalist and having money to throw around... that difference is called quality!
Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by myw
what years did this occur? and how do you know this?
Different part numbers for the same item. Look for yourself:

a) 9A1 103 029 63

b) 9A1 103 029 06

c) 9A1 103 029 09
Old 03-25-2015, 02:39 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Different part numbers for the same item. Look for yourself:

a) 9A1 103 029 63

b) 9A1 103 029 06

c) 9A1 103 029 09

Why are you reposting parts numbers from the Cayman 2.9L engine to answer this question? Please explain.

Also, why were you banned from Planet 9 (and posted these exact parts numbers 4 years ago?)

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...caymans-6.html
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Money should buy you quality and peace of mind from the get-go, not the other way around!

There's a difference between being a capitalist and having money to throw around... that difference is called quality!
I read and reread this post several times and concluded that neither of these statements makes any sense whatsoever. The only conclusion I have come to is that the smoke you are referring to in your posts may not originate from your engine.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:43 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

As I said much earlier in this thread (should have bailed a long time ago), these opinions do nothing but cause grief and worse, devalue our cars. I've seen it with the 996, the 997.1 and now this.

Jake and I are well acquainted from my days of 996 ownership. I acknowledge that he is an expert in his field, but also feel he has successfully used these forums to promote his business. Fine. The IMS was an issue in the 996 and he capitalized on that. My personal belief is that the problem is overblown, but thanks to these forums, potential purchasers feel like every 996 is a ticking time bomb.

Lucky for Jake the 997.1 had the same issue. Insurance for a few more years of business.

Then the 997.2 arrived with no IMS issue to worry about. So now we get to discuss bore scoring. It's like a broken record that won't stop playing.

But it certain creates new angst and potential business for Jake and others for a few more years. Look at all the previously happy, carefree owners that are now concerned about driving their cars when it is cold outside.

As for CaymanPower, keep stirring the pot. My guess is you never will/never have owned a Porsche. If I am wrong, sorry...but all you are accomplishing here is to potentially make your eventual purchase a little less expensive.
Agreed on all points. I suspect CaymanPower to be a full-on troll on this forum.

The DFI engine in the 997.2 911s is solid.

CaymanP's posts, other than being someone transparent in his objectives (he clearly thinks he already has all the expertise and knows the answers), will do nothing to values since there is no negative buzz around the 997.2 engines.

Keep in mind that the cumulative mileage on these engines is somewhere between 750 million and 1.5 billion miles... We would be hearing of many issues if there was a design flaw.

Cayman's beef with Porsche is ... amusing... but seeing as how he has been writing up this for 4 years now, it seems sadder than anything. Who comes on an enthusiast forum to just discuss one narrow topic ad nauseum?

Also, see my post above... clearly something happened at Planet9 too, for him to be banned?

For those of you who are curious about what happened back in 2011, Caymanpower was effectively complaining/predicting that MY09 Caymans would have all have catastrophic engine failure, etc etc. He used those piston part numbers in that thread too... Reading up and down the thread shows that users back then and on that forum noted he would post tons of rants, ignoring the technical responses given, etc etc...
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...caymans-7.html

The thread is worth a read.

Last edited by SpeedyD; 03-25-2015 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Agreed on all points. I suspect CaymanPower to be a full-on troll on this forum.

CaymanP's posts, other than being someone transparent in his objectives (he clearly thinks he already has all the expertise and knows the answers), will do nothing to values since there is no negative buzz around the 997.2 engines.

Keep in mind that the cumulative mileage on these engines is somewhere between 750 million and 1.5 billion miles... We would be hearing of many issues if there was a design flaw.

Cayman's beef with Porsche is ... amusing... but seeing as how he has been writing up this for 4 years now, it seems sadder than anything. Who comes on an enthusiast forum to just discuss one narrow topic ad nauseum?

Also, see my post above... clearly something happened at Planet9 too, for him to be banned?

For those of you who are curious about what happened back in 2011, Caymanpower was effectively complaining/predicting that MY09 Caymans would have all have catastrophic engine failure, etc etc. He used those piston part numbers in that thread too... Reading up and down the thread shows that users back then and on that forum noted he would post tons of rants, ignoring the technical responses given, etc etc...

Caymanpower definitely needs to get over this non-issue, and himself. There is nothing to see here. He should just move along with his life.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

this is hilarious. 1/2 a decade????
Old 03-25-2015, 04:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

This thread should have been locked long time ago. Even Camrys have issues; we just do not hear about them as their owners are not as afflicted as this fellow. These days there are many utopian objectives in our society and wishing for a production engine with zero issues is just another nonsensical utopian pursuit.

There are many forces at play here. I agree that some benefit from proclaiming gloom and doom even where there is none. As long as the thread remains open, we, the many 9A1 owners with no engine issues, should continue posting testifying our experience, to counter the minority nonsense.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Caymanpower definitely needs to get over this non-issue, and himself. There is nothing to see here. He should just move along with his life.
Unfortunately, some are so afflicted that they do not have a life, and lack the courage to save themselves.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability