Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread only became tolerable for me to read once I put CaymanPower on my ignore list. It's like my own personal "ban". Quite a nice feature that Ive never had to use before in the many years Ive been on Rennlist.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias

There are many forces at play here. I agree that some benefit from proclaiming gloom and doom even where there is none. As long as the thread remains open, we, the many 9A1 owners with no engine issues, should continue posting testifying our experience, to counter the minority nonsense.
I'll start. 35K when I bought my 2010 C4S 6 months ago. Going on 48K soon. Driving has been a combination of 60 to 80 miles a day commute (depending upon going freeway or back roads), Marin back roads (consisting of coastal twists, straights, and bumps), and several trips between Northern and Southern Ca.

Tires? Yes. Oil changes? Three. Alignment? Yes. Spark plugs? Yes. New mufflers? Yes (Fister upgrade). Brake flush? Yes. Cabin filter? Yes. Air filters? Yes. Paint chips? Yes, major construction on my commute. Oil burned? Zero.

ANY problems? NO!!!

The more I drive this car the better she performs!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

89k on my 2010 Boxster S 9A1 and still running strong. And/or about to detonate the next time I turn the ignition
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boys, boys chill down... you are not paying attention! I've already posted the link on this thread. But I post it again for you, no problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ent-truth.html
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Boys, boys chill down... you are not paying attention! I've already posted the link on this thread. But I post it again for you, no problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ent-truth.html
The only thing that I conclude from your thread on the Cayman forum is that the Cayman pilots are much smarter than us 997 jockeys as they killed the thread after 4 pages and this MFer is up to 21.

Time to just let this dog die...don't ya think?!

Last edited by david; 03-25-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I read and reread this post several times and concluded that neither of these statements makes any sense whatsoever.
Let me give you a little help then...

Money should buy you quality and peace of mind in the first place! As a capitalist I believe that product quality should be proportional to the money spent. That's a basic principle of the capitalism.

When you spend big bucks on a Porsche car the last thing you should be worrying about is in giving extra cash for an extended warranty over the product you have just payed for such big bucks. By doing so you are clearly stating that you don't trust in the quality of the product you've just purchased. How logical can this be?!

That's the difference between throwing money around and buying strictly quality!

I'm a firm believer that the more money you spend the more of the latter you should get and not the other way around!

And, that's the fundamental issue with Porsche's engine reliability problems.

Fortunately, the 9A1 engine found in the 997.2 seems to be a step forward... how big is what I'm trying to know!

Last edited by CaymanPower; 03-25-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Fair enough!

But you are forgetting a very important point, first and foremost, these so called preeminent Porsche engine builders are the ones who first argue with Porsche themself and tell them they are wrong!

Can you understand that?! Arguing against Porsche technical expertise, Porsche that race engines since almost the beginning of times?!

This is not rocket science you know... all it takes is some engineering background and some common sense to ask the right questions !

Engineering is the art of compromise... so, every engineering product is compromised somehow by definition. If it doesn't deliver you have to seek where the compromise has gone too far.

I seek thoroughly and I present my findings in a bold HONEST way hoping that someone chimes in and just proves me wrong!

If that doesn't happen I hold to my conclusions until contrary evidence. That's how I learn.

What I can't bare is fanboys or someone treating me like I was retarded, because you can't be rational with either of them!

Let me give you an example, every Porsche owner, every so called preeminent Porsche engine builder, Porsche themself all of them tell me that some smoke upon startup is normal on a Porsche horizontally opposed cylinder engine but I present two simple evidences and all the rationale behind the 'classic' explanation looses any possible credibility, although none of them are willing to acknowledge that:

A. Not every Porsche horizontally opposed cylinder engine smokes upon startup

B. There are some Porsche horizontally opposed cylinder engines that smoke from one cylinder bank only (I've owned two)

Next thing you know, you are being called paranoid or a troll.
You're overlooking the fact that plenty of porsche engines from the factory have had defective materials or quirky issues in one way or another. The 2.7 911s from th mid-70s would self destruct or something (I cant remember exactly what the issue was). The SCs had a problem with and needed some pop-off valve and Carrera tensionners for improved reliability. 911s in the 80s (and I think others) had weak head studs. 993s had premature valve wear. 996s and 997.1s had ims bearing and other issues. Some issues may be carried over into the 997.2 but it seems as if the 997.2 may be more reliable. I may be off here or there but remember reading about issues that almost every engine design has had and I'm trying not to get into too much detail. All of these problems exist notwithstanding Porsche's racing history. It is the independent mechanics, including garages like Flat-6 and guys like Jake, that learn how to address these problems for everyone's benefit when the factory remedy sometimes won't suffice. I couldn't recite or explain all of what Jake has said on this and the 996 forums, but, to me, it all makes sense when I read and think about it. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, but i read a lot about cars and I'm a lawyer with a ridiculous ability to spot bull**** and figure out what makes sense in areas in which i am a layperson. Jake has contributed tremendously to these forums. To knock him for trying to make money from his area of expertise when other vendors constantly advertise their products and group buys, etc. is arbitrary. Moreover, most, if not all, of his posts are directed at sharing knowledge and not soliciting business. His hope may be that, by sharing knowledge and educating people, those with issues will contact him for repairs after he demonstrates that he has the expertise to address their problems. Nothing wrong with that. Also, the one post that wasn't about any substantive engine issue that really offended me was one of your posts where you were taunting Jake to respond because he did not respond as soon as you would have liked. That makes me sick since this is a voluntary forum and people participate when they can and want, not when you want them to.

Last edited by awrryan; 03-25-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: grammer and additional commentary
Old 03-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me give you a little help then...

Money should buy you quality and peace of mind in the first place! As a capitalist I believe that product quality should be proportional to the money spent. That's a basic principle of the capitalism.

When you spend big bucks on a Porsche car the last thing you should be worrying about is in giving extra cash for an extended warranty over the product you have just payed for such big bucks. By doing so you are clearly stating that you don't trust in the quality of the product you've just purchased. How logical can this be?!

That's the difference between throwing money around and buying strictly quality!

I'm a firm believer that the more money you spend more of the latter you should get and not the other way around!

And, that's the fundamental issue with Porsche's engine reliability issues.

Fortunately, the 9A1 engine found in the 997.2 seems to be a step forward... how big is what I'm trying to know!
You've been quiet all day. Tough day of work under the bridge?

I am a bit flattered that you went to the trouble of looking up my old posts.

Regarding warranties, would you buy a new car without one? Wouldn't YOU expect it to be perfect for the next 4 years? Using your "logic", the more expensive the car, the higher the "quality" should be, so you would not expect a warranty on, say, a brand new Bugatti Veyron. Your argument is that since it is so expensive, it should never have an issue.

Capitalism or not...good luck with that.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
You've been quiet all day. Tough day of work under the bridge?

I am a bit flattered that you went to the trouble of looking up my old posts.

Regarding warranties, would you buy a new car without one? Wouldn't YOU expect it to be perfect for the next 4 years? Using your "logic", the more expensive the car, the higher the "quality" should be, so you would not expect a warranty on, say, a brand new Bugatti Veyron. Your argument is that since it is so expensive, it should never have an issue.

Capitalism or not...good luck with that.
Don't feel flattered, I only wanted to know how you have became a "996 Emeritus IMS Survivor"... and my conclusion was that, as 'survivor's own definition suggests, you were lucky!

Money should warrant you quality, not luck!

So, you shouldn't have needed to pay EXTRA money for an EXTENDED warranty in order to have peace of mind after you have paid so much for your 996 Carrera, which already included the necessary basic warranty.

Gladly, you have the money to throw around...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
Also, the one post that wasn't about any substantive engine issue that really offended me was one of your posts where you were taunting Jake to respond because he did not respond as soon as you would have liked. That makes me sick since this is a voluntary forum and people participate when they can and want, not when you want them to.
No! You are wrong. The question wasn't the timing of the response but the poor technical explanation, to say the least, that came with it.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IBTL
Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Caymanpower's skeletons are coming out of the closet?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Caymanpower's skeletons are coming out of the closet?
Not really!

Here's something I have been talking about repeatedly - the engine's cooling system - that refers to the 987 vs 981 comparison but that can be equally extrapolated to the 997.2 vs 991 comparison, which clearly shows the importance of the cooling system design evolution from the OLD to the NEW:

The new form of the Cayman is not only more distinctive, it also offers aerodynamic benefits. Although the boosted engine and braking performance requires modified cooling, the aerodynamic drag coefficient (cD) is a very good 0.30. Two large exterior intakes at the front end now handle all cooling air needs. Their aerodynamic in-flow design was further improved, eliminating the need for the previous central radiator of the PDK vehicles. The intakes are the same size on both models, but on the Cayman a portion of the intake is covered by a black trim panel due to its lower cooling air requirement.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

No! You are wrong. The question wasn't the timing of the response but the poor technical explanation, to say the least, that came with it.
That is what you focused your response on?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
That is what you focused your response on?
I tend to focus myself on the technical side of things, that's what matters to me, as I've said it's not personal.

And, since an image worths one thousand words, just for comparison, here's the complete cooling system's basic diagram that we can find on the 991 (the 981 would be very similar except for the engine position/orientation):

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability