997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Don't feel flattered, I only wanted to know how you have became a "996 Emeritus IMS Survivor"... and my conclusion was that, as 'survivor's own definition suggests, you were lucky!

Money should warrant you quality, not luck!

So, you shouldn't have needed to pay EXTRA money for an EXTENDED warranty in order to have peace of mind after you have paid so much for your 996 Carrera, which already included the necessary basic warranty.

Gladly, you have the money to throw around...
Nope. The 996 was used when I bought it. Since I am a realist, I had no guarantee of the maintenance history on that car. I also understand that all cars will break, no matter the make or the cost.

The additional reality is that 911's are expensive to maintain. My aftermarket warranty paid for itself and them some. I considered it a good investment. Many can afford the car, but not the maintenace or the repair bills, which IMHO, creates excessive worriers like yourself.

Do yourself a favor. If you ever buy a 911 (of any kind), spring for the warranty. People like you love to obsess about the negative on these forums as a means of coping with their anxiety. We are your therapy.

A good warranty will help you sleep better at night and help with that ulcer you are cooking up.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

I have Caymanpower on ignore too but can't help peeking sometimes. His entire lack of logic is shocking.

It truly, truly, truly underscores the old adage that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

He points to schematics and tries to technically work out why things are good or bad. But he doesn't step back and apply broad, high level logic to any of his analysis.

To provide a simple example, Cayman, you can point out the technical "issues" that you see with a particular complex system. You can then say that in theory (in your closed system of logic, with your assumptions) something should or should not work, or should or should not have a particular failure rate. The problem is when that system is tested, to the nth degree (in this case, hundreds of millions of miles / billions of miles) and the theories aren't borne out, that very, very strongly suggests the theories are flawed.

Your harping on any technical element doesn't mean much. The fact you pulled info from your own thread, on a different system, from 4 years ago, reeks of desperation and the need to find some kind of technical support. It really doesn't matter. The system has been tested.

I would liken your assessment to how scientists couldn't theoretically explain why bees can fly. This is your "bees can't fly" moment, but unlike scientists who may have tongue-in-cheek admitted being perplexed by the impossibility, you seem to actually believe your story.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:08 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm going to stop feeding the troll.

What speaks loudest is that the admin at Planet9 had to actually ban this guy because of his constant, technically inept, rants. He comes on here, and just repeats the same thing.

He isn't looking for help trying to assess anything and clearly isn't looking to buy a car (911 or otherwise). Someone doesn't go on posting for literally years on one single topic. He thinks he is getting back at Porsche somehow, but noone cares unless reality supports, which it doesn't.

I'm done here.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I'm going to stop feeding the troll.

I'm done here.
Good idea. Me too.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:13 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The only reason to save these posts is to provide a reference if anyone were to ask "what is a troll" - we can point them here.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

I'm done here.
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Good idea. Me too.
What can I say...
Old 03-26-2015, 04:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

i think post #43 tastefully says it all. this thread should not have allowed to be revived...

not surprisingly, it ended exactly the same way as all the previous 'inconvenient-truth' threads on rennlist as well as other forums.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ml#post9491321

Originally Posted by the_vetman
You're a f*cking idiot. Go away. Thank you.

Last edited by myw; 03-26-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

I think you all should be enjoying your Porsche ride a lot more and spend much less time over the internet concerned about me... I'm starting to believe that you really enjoy this!

My goal is quite different though... I only come here for two reasons:

1. My ride is on the lifter due to reliability issues

2. Trying to know as much as I can before a purchase to avoid having my ride on the lifter

The rest of the time I wish I could be driving my Porsche, because when it works faultless few cars drive so good!

The only reason that kept me absent from the forum for the last couple of years was a BMW 1M Coupe purchase, great fun and great from a reliability point of view, but it never quite managed to make me forget about driving my Porsche Cayman even though the engine was a lot less powerful and despite the fact that I've been looking at alternatives other than Porsche for a long time - I was trying to avoid this, really!

Hence, the reason I'm here having such a very warm welcome...
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice diagram. You see? The center radiator is only used outside the U.S. for extreme weather conditions.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:12 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I think you all should be enjoying your Porsche ride a lot more and spend much less time over the internet concerned about me... I'm starting to believe that you really enjoy this!

My goal is quite different though... I only come here for two reasons:

1. My ride is on the lifter due to reliability issues

2. Trying to know as much as I can before a purchase to avoid having my ride on the lifter

The rest of the time I wish I could be driving my Porsche, because when it works faultless few cars drive so good!

The only reason that kept me absent from the forum for the last couple of years was a BMW 1M Coupe purchase, great fun and great from a reliability point of view, but it never quite managed to make me forget about driving my Porsche Cayman even though the engine was a lot less powerful and despite the fact that I've been looking at alternatives other than Porsche for a long time - I was trying to avoid this, really!

Hence, the reason I'm here having such a very warm welcome...
750M to 1.5B miles, no reports of problems, buy a 997.2 now, or don't. You either trust Porsche now, or you never will. Time to end this thread. There is no more information to share. Start a new post with pictures of your new car, or don't if you feel that you can't trust it.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:18 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Nice diagram. You see? The center radiator is only used outside the U.S. for extreme weather conditions.

No, not quite!

Back in 2009 when the 997.2 was first introduced Porsche stated:

The objective is to ensure that all operating components are cooled with minimum air resistance when outside temperatures are high. The main focus here is on engine and brake cooling. The air intakes in the front section have therefore been optimally adapted to suit the relevant cooling air requirements. The air intake in the middle guides the air to the two outer radiators at the left and right. By diverting the air flowing into the interior, the middle radiator is no longer needed for the Porsche Doppelkupplung transmission (PDK). As a result, the same aerodynamic values are achieved both for vehicles with manual transmission and vehicles with PDK.

And, they keep stating the exactly same thing about the 981/991:

The new form of the Cayman is not only more distinctive, it also offers aerodynamic benefits. Although the boosted engine and braking performance requires modified cooling, the aerodynamic drag coefficient (cD) is a very good 0.30. Two large exterior intakes at the front end now handle all cooling air needs. Their aerodynamic in-flow design was further improved, eliminating the need for the previous central radiator of the PDK vehicles. The intakes are the same size on both models, but on the Cayman a portion of the intake is covered by a black trim panel due to its lower cooling air requirement.

The question is that from MY11 onwards all the 997.2 S PDK came with a 3rd central radiator from factory independently of the country or climate... WHY?

BTW, anyone knows how the power steering fluid is cooled on the 997.2 ?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

BTW, anyone knows how the power steering fluid is cooled on the 997.2 ?
Can we stop responding to this guy? He is a d-bag.

Sorry, I broke my on promise to not come back to this thread.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 PM
porterror
Racer

I'm with Bruce
Old 03-27-2015, 08:49 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

This thread really should be closed, that's enough.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:16 PM
CPT Obvious
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
This thread really should be closed, that's enough.
I ran out of popcorn weeks ago!

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability