Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I'd like to see on Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 Self latching frunk so you don’t have to get finger prints/hand prints on the hood. I am in and out of that thing several times a day.
2 Non fabric convertible top which would be easier to spot clean when the bees wax gets on it or whatever that is that covers my car 2 minutes after I wash it.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
My list
My quick response :
  1. Passenger side one-touch up window They've added this to some models. Darned if I understand their issues with it.
  2. Optional push-button start - still insert the key in some way. Its just a cool feature to me.. granted it adds nothing but complexity, an ounce or two of weight and one more thing that could break. No further comment required. Maybe learning on cars with this 'feature' sixty years ago took the gloss off.
  3. 3rd Party interface to the PCM so other suppliers can add devices and integrate them to use PCM resources.. .by adding an additional 'source' option. I haven't fooled with it or looked up the interface provided, but I'm pretty sure this is what the aux and USB ports provide.
  4. Proper spare wheel in the frunk of even a AWD car + sealant (both options available). If the car needs to get an inch longer to accommodate that, I'm ok with it. Can't see this one happening. CAFE. I think we should just be grateful Porsche didn't respond to the regulations the way BMW has.
  5. Optional hitch port under rear bumper so one can attach a bike carrier or wheel carrier, etc to the rear (for those of us not driving hardtop coupes) - and to that end, a great place to put the flat rear wheel you take off!)Aside from not seeing anyplace to anchor such a fitting, I can see your point, since Cabs can't put bikes up top. Of course, you do have vertical clearance for almost anything less than a 14' pine tree in that back seat.
  6. Proper place to store an upright and stashed behind hard plastic panel quart of oil and rag.. since we need them.Not a bad idea, but is it that tough to find Mobil One 10-40? I'm honestly asking since I haven't needed to buy it ad hoc.
  7. optional rear seat space configuration that replaces the seats with lockable storage drawers or something else making much better use of the space behind the seats. I've seen those on earlier models, but possibly they were custom arrangements. I'm a little surprised that someone like BumperPlugs doesn't sell units that would fit after removing the seat cushions.
  8. optional adjustable suspension (air/hydraulic) that allows you to lift the car higher by a an inch or two [...] so I can drive it in deeper snow to get to where I need to be, or over a bad speed-bump / oddball curb/driveway/street interface angle, etc.They already offer this, though I'm sure it costs like other 'exclusive' options that require the car be pulled off the production line and sent to the craft shop (or whatever they call those folks).
  9. audio interface option that isn't set up behind my elbows so I have to contort at a full stop to try and find where the USB/iPod socket is.Amen, brother. Especially since the computer needs to reboot that interface occasionally and you never figure that out until you're a mile down the road and you have to pull over and stick up your *** out the door while fiddling in the console compartment and you can't reach the min-flashlight so you can't see which way up the plug goes and the whole damn USB community forgot to include alignment aids that work with old fingers and eyes so I can't even charge my cell phone without finding a light.
Gary
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
A power port at the front of the dome light console or behind the mirror for my RADAR detector. Something indiscrete such as an RJ-45 port so I don't have to hardwire mod it myself. I'm sure 95%+ of us use a RADAR detector of some type.
Not a bad idea at all. Well, the CAN wiring harness doesn't extend up there unless you have the mirror dingus, does it? At least they could include it with that option. Or do you just need the switched DC line?

The only delay will be finding a retired speech writer to make up some explanation for it that doesn't infuriate their Greens by implying that some Porsche owners may have exceeded the speed limit. In a galaxy long ago and far away that is. Any current owner would want that port only to aid participation in safety surveys and similar projects of civic responsibility.

Gary
Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I like to share with the Greens that it's for my video blackbox... you know - all about safety and capturing the bad guy crashing into me. And I actually do have a blackbox up in that area so two ports would be even better. For those on this forum we all know the lightsaber has far better uses than carving up a turkey during those family visits... but then only those with obi wan's abilities would appreciated this in a galaxy long ago.

BTW, it was a PITA to hardwire up there with no wiring diagraming so I had to resort to the old school method... voltage check each pin connector one at a time with ignition key on an off. I wanted a hot line that turns off with ignition off to conserve battery power.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
My quick response :

Gary
If air adjustable suspension height on the 997.2 was an option, I was never aware of that when I ordered mine. So how does one get it added?

I'll add to that list: modified rechargeable flashlight so one doesn't need to have the grip of superman with two fingers to pull the damn thing out of where the cig-lighter used to be. And a place to store that backend-keychain-cap that doesn't rattle around like heck as it does when I drop it in the ashtray
Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I like to share with the Greens that it's for my video blackbox... you know - all about safety and capturing the bad guy crashing into me. And I actually do have a blackbox up in that area so two ports would be even better. For those on this forum we all know the lightsaber has far better uses than carving up a turkey during those family visits... but then only those with obi wan's abilities would appreciated this in a galaxy long ago.

BTW, it was a PITA to hardwire up there with no wiring diagraming so I had to resort to the old school method... voltage check each pin connector one at a time with ignition key on an off. I wanted a hot line that turns off with ignition off to conserve battery power.
I'm still searching for a multi-camera black box recorder solution that lets me put lipstick microcams pointing forwards and aft that fit into the car in an almost undetectable way.

If anyone knows of one.. post...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

If air adjustable suspension height on the 997.2 was an option, I was never aware of that when I ordered mine. So how does one get it added?
The GT3 had an option to raise only the front end by an inch or so to clear driveways, but it wasn't an air suspension per se and wasn't available on the Carrera, (although I suppose with enough money anything is possible.)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The GT3 had an option to raise only the front end by an inch or so to clear driveways, but it wasn't an air suspension per se and wasn't available on the Carrera, (although I suppose with enough money anything is possible.)
Aye, that's what "Porsche Exclusive" is about, as I understood the offerings. You can order anything that is just a bit of craft work, like say $10,000 in custom upholstery, or the custom installation of any compatible subsystem that's already been through all the engineering and jumped the associated certification hurdles.

But no, I've never heard of a full air suspension arrangement for any 911, so even Porsche Exclusive would not offer that.

Gary
Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

I'm still searching for a multi-camera black box recorder solution that lets me put lipstick microcams pointing forwards and aft that fit into the car in an almost undetectable way.

If anyone knows of one.. post...
Well, sure, we have cams a lot smaller than lipstick size. All the old fictional nonsense is reality these days. We have cams that fit into a shirt button, that are a shirt button. So it's like any other mod for you car. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and... well, you know what we say about racing: How much quick do you want to buy?

Assuming you just want unobtrusive cameras that won't interfere with DD usage putting one on each corner of the cabin is fairly easy. Use the ones with good quality lenses, which are indeed about the size of a lipstick. Then for recording, you can accept slightly more size and get the ones about an inch thick and four long that have built-in capability for about five hours worth. Or you can buy cameras that connect via IP and put a small server under one of the rear seats for central recording. Easy peasy. How many eyes do you want to buy?

Gary
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TOMDEG
How about keyless entry and push button start. That was the one option on my BMW that I could have cared less about when we bought the car, and now I can't live without it. I really like keeping the key in my pocket and locking/unlocking the door by touch.

Definitely PUSH BUTTON START !!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:05 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Definitely PUSH BUTTON START !!!!!!!
Well, yeah. So it can be like my lawn tractor.

G
Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, sure, we have cams a lot smaller than lipstick size. All the old fictional nonsense is reality these days. We have cams that fit into a shirt button, that are a shirt button. So it's like any other mod for you car. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and... well, you know what we say about racing: How much quick do you want to buy?

Assuming you just want unobtrusive cameras that won't interfere with DD usage putting one on each corner of the cabin is fairly easy. Use the ones with good quality lenses, which are indeed about the size of a lipstick. Then for recording, you can accept slightly more size and get the ones about an inch thick and four long that have built-in capability for about five hours worth. Or you can buy cameras that connect via IP and put a small server under one of the rear seats for central recording. Easy peasy. How many eyes do you want to buy?

Gary

Yeah, thats the general state of technology. Good image quality requires good glass, and if you want any sort of quality in low light/night, you need to have larger glass, so pin-hole cameras won't work.

But I don't want to have to invent the wheel or cobble it together myself... I'm hoping some firm out there has taken the lead and made up a kit.

1) Two cameras at least (1 fwd and 1 rwd facing), integrated discreetly into the pillar molding (so new special pillar trim or color matched box that attaches TO the pillar trim.
2) wiring to route all of that the a solid state recorder that sits under a seat or in the frunk or somewhere in a air cooled case.
3) solid state recorder - no moving parts, mostly moisture /spill resistant, and allows the data to be extracted via USB cable (to a computer or flash drive) or via flash card inserted into slot)
4) system automatically records on start-up, maybe has battery that can be used in conjunction with the cameras to start recording if it detects movement; and autotags the recorded segments.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I use a single cam, BX-1000, looking forward and mounted behind my mirror but there are some multi-cam solutions as well. http://smartyblackbox.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

But I don't want to have to invent the wheel or cobble it together myself... I'm hoping some firm out there has taken the lead and made up a kit.
I don't personally know much about the vehicle security field, but I assume that is what you have in mind? That SmartyPants system, or whatever USMC just linked, sounds like they have the right target market in mind. You might inquire what they have in development, Minok.

If event records are the only concern, then in other contexts we use circular recording. That is, the device loops through the available storage, eventually overwriting the start point. The capacity is determined by the amount of pre-event storage that you require -- lead-up to an accident for example, but only if you have ways to recognize the need immediately. With a vehicle I suppose you normally would. But in other contexts, we might not know that an "event of interest" occurred until later. In those cases, you need storage that lets you go back in history some distance.

Without pushing the state of the commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) art, an SD card the size of my little fingernail will hold ten hours of high-definition video, so you really wouldn't need that central recording device, just provision for such SD cards on-camera. By the time I finish typing, I'd expect the market to be offering 20 hours instead. That's how fast storage technology progresses. The important point would be your wish that the cameras turn on at engine-start and pause automatically when you should down. That makes the 'look-back' time amount to ten operating hours (soon to be twenty of course). Since the typical Porsche usage is about 5 hours a week, that's a practical amount.

I'll bet you can find a satisfactory system technically. Now if only someone has done the work to make it cosmetically acceptable.

Gary

Quick Reply: Things I'd like to see on Porsche