Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:00 PM
tivbucks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DFI engine issues

I have an Oct'09 997.2 C2S with 10k miles and have posted on the forum a couple of times. Car is great, but have had a few issues namely the PDK and PCM, but Porsche have always been quick to resolve these.

Last week my car suddenly lost all power, began to vibrate badly and the 'check engine' warning light came on. Car sounded like it was misfiring badly and fortunately I was 100m from the office and so gently cruised into my parking bay.

Porsche service came and collected the car the same afternoon and after 3 days called to say that yes, indeed there was an issue of an engine misfire on cylinders 4 & 6 and that it could be one of the following issues;

1). Injectors
2). Spark plugs
3). Coil
4). Fuel pump

They sounded very concerned as they had never had a fault like that before and said that they would be in contact with Germany. Was called yesterday and they confirmed that the issue was related to the coil and spark plugs and not the injectors and that it should be all fine by early next week.

I asked if they had had to remove the silencers to access the plugs which they said yes, so I then asked them to fit a sports exhaust whilst they were there - must be mad......

Anyone had similar issues as having done a search it would appear to be an isolated incident.

I'll post again once I get the car back, but one things for sure and that is if I decide to keep the car after it's 2nd birthday I'll be getting a warranty!

Last edited by tivbucks; 02-07-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

It sounds like a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP).

You say your car is an Oct ' 09. What does that mean? You can check when the car was built on a plate on the driver's door. Something like 1009 would mean Oct 09.

PS - you may want to change the thread title from EFI to DFI.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

I had a CEL on 2 weeks ago and the dealer pulled codes, showed the same thing. Misfires on 4 & 6. But the car ran fine, I was just running it hard when the engine light came on. I have an 06 C2S. Has not come back since. Were you running it hard when the engine light came on? Also did you shut it down and restart it once it started acting up? I would be curious to know if the problem came back after the re-start.

Steven
Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I once lost all power to. It ended up being the coils and spark plugs.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Hmm... who was saying first year new model cars are trouble free!

No flames... just saying...
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear the problem, hopefully they can fix it fast and effectively for you. Now I am beginning to worry about my DFI/PDK 997.2....and I am two hours away from my dealer
Old 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hmm... who was saying first year new model cars are trouble free!

No flames... just saying...
My 2009 C4S PDK has been 100% trouble free. It rarely needs oil. After it is warmed up, I drive the **** out of it.

Let's not let the 1% threads attempt to define the norm.

Anyone interested in owning a 997.2 911 would be well advised to relax and expect a very troublefree car.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:12 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

no trouble with mine either and just passed 8500 miles last week...
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 2008 BMW 535 with DI and I have had none of the problems reported in Rennlist or Bimmerfest with the fuel system in two years and almost 37,000 miles. th only time I did have an event was when I let the range get down to zero ( don't ask) and bought my fuel at the Quick Check while the delivery truck was there, breaking three rules I have about gasoline. I drove the rest of the way home and suddenly, about one mile from home, the check engine light went on with severely reduced power. I had to floor it in 3rd gear to get home. After home, I re-started the car, the warning lamp went off and the car idled roughly for about 2 minutes and then cleared up. This event happened at about 20,000 miles and never returned. I believe that I picked up some water at the gas station.

These DI fuel systems have different pumps and injectors than standard EFI. I am sure there are other problems that are also blamed unfairly on DI such as ignition sytem problems. Having said all of this some people continue to have recurring problems. I think, long term, the biggest issue with DI will be carbon build up on the intake valve area.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I have a 2008 BMW 535 with DI and I have had none of the problems reported in Rennlist or Bimmerfest with the fuel system in two years and almost 37,000 miles. th only time I did have an event was when I let the range get down to zero ( don't ask) and bought my fuel at the Quick Check while the delivery truck was there, breaking three rules I have about gasoline. I drove the rest of the way home and suddenly, about one mile from home, the check engine light went on with severely reduced power. I had to floor it in 3rd gear to get home. After home, I re-started the car, the warning lamp went off and the car idled roughly for about 2 minutes and then cleared up. This event happened at about 20,000 miles and never returned. I believe that I picked up some water at the gas station.

These DI fuel systems have different pumps and injectors than standard EFI. I am sure there are other problems that are also blamed unfairly on DI such as ignition sytem problems. Having said all of this some people continue to have recurring problems. I think, long term, the biggest issue with DI will be carbon build up on the intake valve area.
Thanks for sharing your tips. I have been thinking about trading my 997.1S to a 997.2S, and those DFI engine problem stories sometimes hold me back a little...

Can I ask for your trouble-free DFI 535i, which brand of gasolines or gas stations did you use? And did you experience problems if switched gasoline brands? Also did you recommend not to run the gas tank below certain level in DFI engines before refueling? At last, any other tips to keep the DFI engines and fuel pumps trouble free?

Thanks for any inputs

With best regards,
Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Thanks for sharing your tips. I have been thinking about trading my 997.1S to a 997.2S, and those DFI engine problem stories sometimes hold me back a little...

Can I ask for your trouble-free DFI 535i, which brand of gasolines or gas stations did you use? And did you experience problems if switched gasoline brands? Also did you recommend not to run the gas tank below certain level in DFI engines before refueling? At last, any other tips to keep the DFI engines and fuel pumps trouble free?

Thanks for any inputs

With best regards,
I use ( almost 100%) Exxon premium fuel on a highway station in central NJ. They move a lot of fuel. I have used Shell with no problem also. I generally refill when the tank gets to 1/4 full. If you go below 1/8 tank I would not drive more steadily ( no hard cornering, braking, accelerating). I do not know if this is a factor but I drive 35 miles each way to work and back with plenty of time for the car to operate at optimum temperature. My observations are not scientific but this has been my experieince. I would just use a good quality fuel ( Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Mobil, etc.)
Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
tivbucks
Track Day

Evening all,

Have amended the post title as suggested - gotta love those 'fat finger' moments.

I am based in Dubai, UAE (Yes, despite the press reports it is still here) and I received the first 997.2 customer car in the region - delivery was Oct'09 so am guessing the build was a few months earlier - say Jul-Aug'09. I'll take a look when I get the car back.

I wasn't driving the car hard or hadn't been before this happened and no, even after I switched off and restarted the 'check engine' warning came right back and the car sounded very rough - As background I do tend to drive the car quite hard with the majority of the time being in 'sport plus' and manual modes. I've also tracked the car 4 times, but that being said it has enjoyed two oil changes and it's first service before it was 12 months old - combination of the conditions in the UAE (heat & dust), the track days and my desire to keep things in good working order.

I am genuinely not concerned, but do feel that I've had my share of bad luck with this car - it hasn't yet put me off, but if this sort of issue re-occurs the whole 'can I count on it' issue will arrive. I was fortunate this time as my wife is back in the UK visiting friends and family and so I have her Cayenne Turbo to play with - what concerns me there is that I'm getting 220 miles per tank of gas where she insists she can get 340.......
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tivbucks
...I was fortunate this time as my wife is back in the UK visiting friends and family and so I have her Cayenne Turbo to play with - what concerns me there is that I'm getting 220 miles per tank of gas where she insists she can get 340.......
You have a heavy foot.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Hi Fahrer,

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Last May I had a similiar situation, misfire #4 cylinder and CEL. I had about 1900 miles and the car had Jan/09 built date. It took the dealer 1 week to figure out it was a bad/clogged injector. I have about 6000 flawless miles so far.

John

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues