Originally Posted by dak911
Things I'd like to see on Porsche
Charlize Theron. On my Porsche.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
I like the idea of auto headlights. It's a safety feature that doesn't distract from the driving experience and requires a minimal weight penalty for the light sensor. Unfortunately some people are too stupid to understand that just because you don't need them to see where you are going it's a good idea to help others see you.[...]
Actually, some of us are bright enough to notice how often people run into or compel evasive action by emergency vehicles with all lights blazing and added ones flashing. Not to mention a siren blowing at 110 db. That being the case, it behooves us to forget about people seeing us because some of the fools will not, no matter what sort of lights they compel our cars to wear. In fact, a percentage of the fools are impaired in one fashion or another and end up being drawn to the pretty lights. Drunks and druggies regularly drive right up the back of patrol cars stopped to protect people working on a previous freeway incident and it's a plausible hypothesis (but difficult to test) that many head-on collisions have been caused that way.

I consider it a personal failure in the rare case that I care that someone see me. So do many traditional good drivers. Instead, we drive as we were taught: "as if you're invisible."

I don't think it's at all a good idea to compel daytime lights, because it encourages the naive to believe other drivers see them and on seeing them will respond correctly.

Gary
Old 01-25-2012, 02:16 AM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding auto-on headlights, yes, I'm all for them, on ALL cars.

Why?

Because driving around northern California, it's amazing how many f***king IDIOTS drive around at night with their lights off. These morons don't even have the sense to notice their dashboard is DARK. No lights on anywhere.

It infuriates me. Not so much because of the safety aspect (although it is dangerous), but just to know people are that STUPID they don't even notice their dashboard is dark.

If I was a cop, I would have zero sympathy for these morons. None. I would pull over every one of them and ticket them without remorse.

So yes...I'm all for auto-on headlights.

/rant
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
Regarding auto-on headlights, yes, I'm all for them, on ALL cars.

Why?

Because driving around northern California, it's amazing how many f***king IDIOTS drive around at night with their lights off. These morons don't even have the sense to notice their dashboard is DARK. No lights on anywhere.

It infuriates me. Not so much because of the safety aspect (although it is dangerous), but just to know people are that STUPID they don't even notice their dashboard is dark.

If I was a cop, I would have zero sympathy for these morons. None. I would pull over every one of them and ticket them without remorse.

So yes...I'm all for auto-on headlights.

/rant

It is true that many drive at dusk without turning lights on. But just because Darwin hasn't yet caught with them, are we now going to promote stupidity and irresponsibility by automating it all and nurture lemmings?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Gary
My final word....I learned on a 35 Chevy coupe...., Lake Mahopac upstate NY both of us were 15 at the time, my dad bought it for me, $100.... used the car 2 summers, overheating, lights failing, clutch slipping, rusting away...maybe at the time I had them most fun ever with that car....FREEDOM
Alright, to be fair, I was only five or six in that '34 Chevy, but it had four on the floor -- if you count reverse that is. And all I was learning is how to steer from Dad's lap. And I was a war baby, so you can estimate how old it was even when I was that young.

Quite awhile later, Grandpa gave me a birthday present of a '49 Ford Coupe, which was much sportier, right? One guess what it cost: $100. Must have been the sweet spot for first cars in those days, right Dak?

Gary
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about the nav system projects a hologram image of a hot babe giving you directions to your destination? Just kidding guys.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It is true that many drive at dusk without turning lights on. But just because Darwin hasn't yet caught with them, are we now going to promote stupidity and irresponsibility by automating it all and nurture lemmings?
I'm not talking about people who drive around at dusk. I'm talking about people drive around at night, after the sun's gone down, when it's pitch black outside, with no lights on. Not even parking lights. Which means their dashboard is dark, and they're too stupid to even notice.

If these people were to veer off the road and crash, I wouldn't even stop to help them. If someone's dumb a** is too stupid to even notice their dashboard isn't lit up and they're driving around in the dark, then they deserve to be a Darwin recipient.

As far as government regulation, I'm not normally a fan of it. But when you're talking multi-thousand pound vehicles that can kill somebody when handled by an idiot, then some regulation here and there I'm fine with. In the case of auto-on headlights, to protect others against the actions of the terminally STUPID, I'm okay with it.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by csorrows
I'm not talking about people who drive around at dusk. I'm talking about people drive around at night, after the sun's gone down, when it's pitch black outside, with no lights on. Not even parking lights. Which means their dashboard is dark, and they're too stupid to even notice.

If these people were to veer off the road and crash, I wouldn't even stop to help them. If someone's dumb a** is too stupid to even notice their dashboard isn't lit up and they're driving around in the dark, then they deserve to be a Darwin recipient.

As far as government regulation, I'm not normally a fan of it. But when you're talking multi-thousand pound vehicles that can kill somebody when handled by an idiot, then some regulation here and there I'm fine with. In the case of auto-on headlights, to protect others against the actions of the terminally STUPID, I'm okay with it.
I'm with you. I've honked/flashed-lights to those driving blind around me. But... watch what you wish for.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

A power port at the front of the dome light console or behind the mirror for my RADAR detector. Something indiscrete such as an RJ-45 port so I don't have to hardwire mod it myself. I'm sure 95%+ of us use a RADAR detector of some type.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Some good ideas guys, I like the power port USMC_DS1, never thought about that...I did have a wire like that in my BMW 5 series from the front courtesy lights...
AND, no matter what ANYONE says I personally think DRL's are one of the few good government mandated safety features...in fact the rear light should also be on....whtever helps to avoid a crash...and RICH FL while we are at it Garmin should get rid of the awful BITCH voice, would it reall hurt to have a nic (sexy) voice for us guys (and maybe a nicer voice for the girls)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Some good ideas guys, I like the power port USMC_DS1, never thought about that...I did have a wire like that in my BMW 5 series from the front courtesy lights...
AND, no matter what ANYONE says I personally think DRL's are one of the few good government mandated safety features...in fact the rear light should also be on....whtever helps to avoid a crash...and RICH FL while we are at it Garmin should get rid of the awful BITCH voice, would it reall hurt to have a nic (sexy) voice for us guys (and maybe a nicer voice for the girls)
Both solved by an upgrade to a 997.2. Set PCM3 to British and it's a cute accent. Plus DRLs under the regular lights. There ya go
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,736 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
Charlize Theron. On my Porsche.
+1
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i want to re-wire my fog lights to be powered from switchable power source so they would lit all the time while ignition is on, for driving in the tunnel (boston big dig) it is just a safety feature so people will see you.
Bad idea.

Fog lights are for one thing only: very dense fog.

They are not for 'helping others see you better'. They work to 'blind,irritate oncoming drivers' quite well when used in conditions that are not dense fog. Its like driving with high-beams on.

You have lowbeam headlights already, but you have DRLs for exactly that purpose - to have folks see you better in shadowy daytime environments.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My list
  1. * Passenger side one-touch up window
  2. * Optional push-button start - still insert the key in some way. Its just a cool feature to me.. granted it adds nothing but complexity, an ounce or two of weight and one more thing that could break.
  3. * 3rd Party interface to the PCM so other suppliers can add devices and integrate them to use PCM resources.. .by adding an additional 'source' option.
  4. * Proper spare wheel in the frunk of even a AWD car + sealant (both options available). If the car needs to get an inch longer to accommodate that, I'm ok with it.
  5. * Optional hitch port under rear bumper so one can attach a bike carrier or wheel carrier, etc to the rear (for those of us not driving hardtop coupes) - and to that end, a great place to put the flat rear wheel you take off!)
  6. * Proper place to store an upright and stashed behind hard plastic panel quart of oil and rag.. since we need them.
  7. * optional rear seat space configuration that replaces the seats with lockable storage drawers or something else making much better use of the space behind the seats.
  8. * optional adjustable suspension (air/hydraulic) that allows you to lift the car higher by a an inch or two (and being Porsche, that engages some engine management that limits the speed and sets the stability management systems appropriately)... so I can drive it in deeper snow to get to where I need to be, or over a bad speed-bump / oddball curb/driveway/street interface angle, etc.
  9. * audio interface option that isn't set up behind my elbows so I have to contort at a full stop to try and find where the USB/iPod socket is.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

My list:

Reduce wheelbase (WB) (as opposed to 991 WB increase)
Reduce weight
Reduce bulk/size
Option delete - stereo/nav/gizmos

Quick Reply: Things I'd like to see on Porsche