Sponsored by:

Things I'd like to see on Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
OK, seriously. One thing my wife's Audi has is, when you hit the lock button and walk away, the car gives you a quick 'chirp' to let you know all is secure.

That would be nice.
There's an add-on to do that and a few other things. I, for one, prefer it silent (stealthier).
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

The passenger's side window unique "UP" behavior on the 997 coupes is strange.
On Cabriolets, Caymans, Boxsters, Cayennes, and Panameras, the passenger's window is "one-touch up."
On 997 coupes, the window has to be at least half-way up before the switch will actually become "one-touch up."
It was this way on my 2006. It's still the same on my 2011.
While I suspect the reason is "safety," then why are all the other models truly "one touch?"
Anybody know?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DHC
OK, seriously. One thing my wife's Audi has is, when you hit the lock button and walk away, the car gives you a quick 'chirp' to let you know all is secure.

That would be nice.
Seriously, now, no kidding: I don't want my Carrera to make chirpy noises like cheaper cars. It's like daytime headlights. I swore I'd cut the wires if I ever were forced by circumstances to buy a car with such an insulting feature. Porsche managed to make the running lights attractive and tolerable, but the daytime headlights are the stigmata of cheap cars. (And yes, I'm aware that some models of Porsche went that way for awhile and my apology to their owners is all it should be.)

Gary
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Seriously, now, no kidding: I don't want my Carrera to make chirpy noises like cheaper cars. It's like daytime headlights. I swore I'd cut the wires if I ever were forced by circumstances to buy a car with such an insulting feature. Porsche managed to make the running lights attractive and tolerable, but the daytime headlights are the stigmata of cheap cars. (And yes, I'm aware that some models of Porsche went that way for awhile and my apology to their owners is all it should be.)

Gary
+1
Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
I guess I fall into the group of OLD folks (1935) you figure it out
By the way this is my 7th P car and my 66th owned car.
So respect your elders....bunch of juvenile delinquents....[...]
Just wait till all those injuries you did in you 20's to 50's catch up to you..then you'll understand..
From one codger to another, you did start high school a little before me, but I might have made it to canes earlier. I do understand, I just hate to be patronized and luxo-spa features on a sports car feel like the designer is patronizing me: "Old buggers who can afford this car can't remember their lights any more." It's true I'm fading. My body is well past the stage of considering rock-hard suspension acceptable, so PASM was essential to enjoying the car as a daily driver. I like to humor myself by blaming the need for a default cushy ride on the road maintenance of these degenerate times. The truth is my time had come to consider a sedan if they hadn't invented bi-modal suspension Tony. (Good way to explain the design dichotomies by the way: bimodal marketing. I like it.)

The techno features like voice-to-text (which I hope we never get on P-cars) just draw the scorn usual from someone who designed such things and wants them kept in their place, which is not a performance car that should be taking up the driver's full attention at all times.

I fully realize the irony that I resent the geeky features that would be distracting if I had them (or had them turned on) while I also resent the features that save distraction, like automatic headlights. The difference is that operating tradition car systems is part of the whole "driving experience" to steal a modernism, and doing those things is no more distracting to me than shifting gears.

P.S. If I can find my false teeth, I'll tell you about the '34 Chevy that taught me to drive.

Gary
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The problem with adding features/options is weight as we all know. Weight is a detriment to acceleration and even worse for handling. Some will argue that added weight can be dealt with by increasing horsepower and adding even more electronics, like the Nissan GTR. Problem is that when you let the electronics do all the work you lose sight of what the car is suppose to be about which is fun. It becomes a dull electronic gizmo that performs well.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I fully realize the irony that I resent the geeky features that would be distracting if I had them (or had them turned on) while I also resent the features that save distraction, like automatic headlights. The difference is that operating tradition car systems is part of the whole "driving experience" to steal a modernism, and doing those things is no more distracting to me than shifting gears.
My perspective is that as long as the manufacturer gives me a choice I don't resent if a car has a feature or not, within reason of course. Porsche doesn't force me to use DRL's so the fact that I have the option to not use them, which is the case most of the time, works for me, with the added utility of being able to turn them on as a more efficient alternative to headlights when circumstances are right. It's the same with Auto headlights; I'm not required to use them in my Cayenne but there are times when they are convenient. What does bug me is when a car comes with a feature like push button start or auto unlock when you touch the door handle, neither of which I care for, and which gives me no choice in how I operate my vehicle.

I don't have an intrinsic problem with Porsche making it easier for different types of customers to be satisfied with their cars by offering multiple features, as long as I can still "have it my way".
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Gary
My final word....I learned on a 35 Chevy coupe...., Lake Mahopac upstate NY both of us were 15 at the time, my dad bought it for me, $100.... used the car 2 summers, overheating, lights failing, clutch slipping, rusting away...maybe at the time I had them most fun ever with that car....FREEDOM
Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of auto headlights. It's a safety feature that doesn't distract from the driving experience and requires a minimal weight penalty for the light sensor. Unfortunately some people are too stupid to understand that just because you don't need them to see where you are going it's a good idea to help others see you.

My Jeep has another nice feature which is configurable and that's if you switch the wipers on the headlights automatically come on. Again if it's raining then it's probably a good idea to put your lights on as well.

I hate the chirp on lock. I don't remember cars in the UK having it. Probably something to do with the noise pollution laws. I noticed it first when I moved to Canada. Very irritating to be walking past a car and the owner arm it and the horn honks. Don't be so lazy, press the remote when you are next to the car and watch the lights flash or hear the doors lock rather than listen for the honk as you're walking away.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
Don't be so lazy, press the remote when you are next to the car and watch the lights flash or hear the doors lock rather than listen for the honk as you're walking away.
No argument about whether the honk/chirp is annoying or not. But I don't get the logic of operating the remote next to the car; the horn is going to sound regardless of where the person is standing when the lock buttom is pushed, so the annoyance factor is there regardless.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
1. Auto on Headlights, (at dusk), this can't be a very expensive mod to do from new...even some of the the inexpensive cars have it.
2. A mod to the auto transmission that keeps it from moving when stopped,
so you don't have to hold the brake
3. Simplify the damn Audio controls..what a mess.., in fact an upgrade on the terrible sounding audio (We have the Bose!)
4. How about an audio system that doesn't need a $$$$ adaption to add Sirius
(my 06 X5 was a $200 PLUG AND PLAY!)
Thats all i can think of right now...there must be more

Plenty of SUNSHINE, and I'd be happy.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Seriously, now, no kidding: I don't want my Carrera to make chirpy noises like cheaper cars.
Gary
its because you did not have to lock it at a grocery shop parking lot in a bright sunlight. without it i never knew if button got pressed or not and it was quite stupid to try a door to check if car got locked.
so this plebes 'chirp' is in fact quite useful.

i want to re-wire my fog lights to be powered from switchable power source so they would lit all the time while ignition is on, for driving in the tunnel (boston big dig) it is just a safety feature so people will see you. does anybody know if there is any wire there in the fog light assembly that has switchable power? i do not want to buy any additional 'black boxes' for that or get more wires from the battery.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No argument about whether the honk/chirp is annoying or not. But I don't get the logic of operating the remote next to the car; the horn is going to sound regardless of where the person is standing when the lock buttom is pushed, so the annoyance factor is there regardless.
What I meant was you can watch the lights flash or hear the locks without the need for an additional honk. The honk is only there for when you can't wait and are already walking away from the car.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
What I meant was you can watch the lights flash or hear the locks without the need for an additional honk. The honk is only there for when you can't wait and are already walking away from the car.
I get your point now......
Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

buy a prius for gods sake - you're not worthy

Quick Reply: Things I'd like to see on Porsche