Sponsored by:

Brake Dust Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Dust Gone!!!

Hi all. I tested out the Armor All wheel protectant product.
http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...mpaign=Branded

On Saturday I detailed my rims, and then sprayed an entire can of the below product on them. I made sure to give the "barrell" a good coat.
After 4 spirited mountain drives each lasting ~30 minutes and normal DD fopr the last 4 days this week here is what my rims looked like.
Not perfect...but very close. I'd give the product a 8 out of 10...There are only a few spots where there is any brake dust showing at all.
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks awesome, i have a huge problem w break dust and takes 2 to 3 rounds of cleaning my rims to remove. how easy are the rims to clean now that the product is on or is it just a quick rinse and no cleaning water solution needed?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

I haven't tried washing them yet...so I can't say for sure, but it went on like a glossy clear coat covering the wheel entirely so I' imagine that when the product gets washed off it would be clean underneath. I'll report back in a week or so when I have to wash the rims... (which is awesome!)
With the driving I've done over the last couple of days giving family members rides in the car, I'd normally have my rims (especially the fronts ) covered in brake dust.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:23 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to try it out. Unfortunately it recommends application with ambient temp above 65 degrees, so that's probably not happening here until March or so.

I've also noticed that my wheels get dirtier faster when there's tire shine on the tires, as if it spins off the tire and onto the wheel. I half-think this is a conspiracy among car wash places to bring you back sooner.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so! I've been happy with this stuff since I started using it about a year and a half ago. Easy to wash off, no residue. I use P-21S. The only places I seem to get spots for the first few days are where I miss applying the stuff on my lobsters. Amazing. I was skeptical but it really does work.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
McCulla
Pro

By the way, you do have to follow directions. Apply to clean DRY wheel (that's the part where I don't go the extra mile). Let it dry about an hour before driving. There will be a bit of run off at the bottom where you'll need to reapply tire dressing after that hour or so. The directions say it needs to be over 60 degrees (I think?) but I don't fight that battle too often in Florida, so I may be an outlier.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

another vote for the Armour All wheel stuff..its works better than anything else I've found. I wonder what the ingrediant is.

1 can last me at least 3 washings per wheel.

Also only good for street driving....I tried it at the track and the heat burns this stuff right off. Street driving even so called spirited street driving is only about 25-40% of what advanced track driving is.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:06 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you get the Armour All stuff from? Is it sold at a local store like Walmart or something?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
I hate to say "I told you so" but I told you so! I've been happy with this stuff since I started using it about a year and a half ago. Easy to wash off, no residue. I use P-21S. The only places I seem to get spots for the first few days are where I miss applying the stuff on my lobsters. Amazing. I was skeptical but it really does work.
Have you noticed any dterioration or change in paint finish? Do you all remove the wheels to apply this product or do you spray over the lug bolts and center cap?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

I sprayed it over everything. No change in finish
Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
McCulla
Pro

AutoZone, Pep Boys, even my grocery store has it occasionally. It's widely available. I spray it on the entire wheel, I do NOT take the wheels off. I just direct it through the spokes of the wheels to get the inside of the rim. It's dispensed sort of oddly, like a semi-powerful fog. You can direct it, but it doesn't splash. Spray from about 6" or so away, shake frequently. No deterioration in my painted surfaces. Somebody posted recently that it contains some components of "personal lubricants" so it can't be bad, right?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This stuff is nuts. I love it. I even bought my sister a can of it for Christmas since she likes keeping her new Camaro clean too.

Here is one of my rims after a week of daily driving and some snow and salt thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Jay H; 08-09-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,734 Posts

Is the socket for the "anti theft security lugnut" suppose to come with the car?

Great wheels BTW. I think I'm going to try the Armor All.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Both cars are in winter hibernation. I plan to try this product in March/April (993TT) and April/May (987S) when the toys come out to play. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Is the socket for the "anti theft security lugnut" suppose to come with the car?
Yes, this socket resides in the frunk (front trunk) behind the removable panel that houses the tire goop and air compressor and hides the power amp. It'll be on the passenger side of the removable panel.

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I think I'm going to try the Armor All.
Do it. Armor All hit a home run with this product.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Gone!!!