Brake Dust Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Be warned regarding the Eagle One product. You cannot control the spray from the pump and it goes everywhere and splashes as you apply it. It dries like a resin and I found it very difficult to get off, used some tar remover or 3M adhesive remover. I only tried it once, so I suppose there might have been some odd issue with my bottle or application, but I won't use it again...my 2 cents.
Ah - thanks! I was wondering how difficult it might be to control the spray bottle versus the aerosol can...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Crossfire190
Advanced

I have also tried the Eagle One product. It helps a little bit with keeping the wheels clean, but only for a very short period of time. Then, once the wheels are dirty, it does not seem any easier to remove the dirt than the untreated wheels. I would not recommend the product.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts
Default Gave it a shot....

So I picked up a couple of bottles of the Armor All Wheel Protectant and I have been testing it on my wifes new DD and my DD. Here are my observations.

Application is very easy although you have to really look at the wheels and make sure you get full coverage. If you miss a spot it will be very obvious later on. The product does tend to drip and it will whiten the tires which is annoying. A little rubber conditioner takes care of this but you have to wonder if it has any long term affects on the tires. Only time will tell.

After the product dries the wheels are definitely duller, almost a satin gloss finish instead of a high gloss you would normally associate with clear coated wheels.

The product definitely works, my wife drove her car daily for the past few weeks and the wheels stayed perfectly clean for nearly 2 weeks. I even swiped my finger on the face of the wheels and noted that there wasn't any build up. I will say however that it didn't see any rain during the two weeks and on the third week when it did see rain it definitely got dirty. The interesting thing is that that face of the wheels are still relatively clean even after the rain but the barrels are dirty with brake dust and rust stains.

I just sprayed my DD wheels and will evaluate them on a car which I'm more familiar with. The wheels are somewhat rough (pitting from rocks) so this is a truer test of how well the product works.

Having said all that I will also add that I won't use this on the Spyder since it does reduce the gloss. I have also discovered that using a good antistatic quick detail spray significantly reduces brake dust. I started using Pinnacle Crystal Mist (pricey but good!) and the wheels look fantastic.

I would be interested in hearing others longer term observations on the Armor All.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also tried it on my wife's DD a 2007 MB E350 with the 10 spoke sport wheels

The OEM pads leave a lot of dust, much easier to clean after using the Armour All. I agree it dulls the rims to some extent but she does not notice or care and I will continue to use it on her car.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I agree. Probably perfect for wife's Sport as she doesn't really notice or care.

I on the other hand like the gloss of the black wheels on my GTS and just wipe them down daily with a warm/wet damp micro fiber towel to prevent dust build up. Takes me 1 minute every morning.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone compared the Armor All product to Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust barrier? I would be interested since I have used only the Megs on our BMW and Porsche. It does not claim to eliminate the brake dust, just reduce it and make cleaning very easy. It is supposed to last several washes, assuming you only need soap and water to clean the wheels. I've had it on the cars for about a month now and will be cleaning the BMW this weekend so I'll find out if it makes cleaning easier and if it lasts through more than one washing. I'd say the BMW wheels still have significant brake dust but the 911 wheels look pretty good.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Currently testing the Armor All product, seems to make it easier removing built up brake dust by hand.
Its working for now .....
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would be interested in hearing others longer term observations on the Armor All.
I have been using the Armor All product for over 4 months now on my daily driven 997. The rims have seen rain, snow, salt and everything else mother nature can toss my way. I've noticed no build up or damage to my rims. Nothing will keep the rims perfectly spotless, but the limited dirt and brake dust that does accumulate washes off really, really easy.

The big things:
  • No pitting of the rims from letting large amounts of brake dust sit on the rims for a week or so.
  • Once you coat the rims a few times, you only need just a bit of the product to keep the rims treated. No need to empty half the can every time you treat the rims.
  • Two very light coats over several minutes keeps the stuff from running off and whitening your tires.
  • I still enjoy using this product every time I wash the car.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd its part of my every other wash routine....the rims stay clean enough for two weeks. Just so long as it doesn't rain....I've not noticed any ill effects given months of bi monthly usage for several months
Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Will this stuff work on exhaust tips to prevent the soot build up?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 AM
nkelley
Instructor

Purchased and applied yesterday. Cost $8.95 at Pep Boys. One can, two seperate applications. No need to oversoak! So one can eight wheels! I covered the brakes, Goes on easy, applies evenly.

Needs to fully dry for full effect. Can't wait to test out today.

NK
Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Will this stuff work on exhaust tips to prevent the soot build up?
I can't image it would. Too hot. Get's cooked off. I solved this problem on the Turbo with my ceramic powdercoated black satin finish on my FabSpeed bypass pipes with FD Motorsports. Oh yeah, pure gas, fuel without ehtanol, seems to help, too.

I've had the Turbo out of winter hibernation now about 4 weekends and over 1,200 miles. This stuff makes a huge inprovement on keeping the wheels clean. Next test is to see how much easier they wash up.

So far, very pleased/impressed.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

As others have also stated, I'm a big Rejex fan (that's why we carry it). Any good wheel wax will get you good results without dulling your finish.

Today's detail project was not the P-car, but my daughter's (the grad student is busy working her tail off, not washing her ride) X3. Nice car, but damn BMW made these freaking wheels impossible to clean. Took me 30 minutes or so to wash the vehicle, and maybe a freaking hour on the wheels. Because the blade comes down in an odd way, it leaves a difficult to reach cavity right behind it that you can't get to with most sponges, brushes or other safe cleaning tools.

She does know not to use automatic car washes, so the car was pretty filthy (been a couple months since she was home). My son helped as we did four vehicles, but this thing was a mess.

After P21S wheel gel, strong water pressure from the hose, elbow grease, more P21S wheel gel, and then some additional effort, we got them 95%. Then I got out some very cool microfiber gloves that allow you to apply Rejex or wheel wax if you like and get it into all the right places in no time flat.

We let it sit a good bit, then buffed it out. I've done this before, and if you can reach deep enough into the wheel barrels it will do wonders for regular cleanups.

Champion RF67's on the Turbo Cab have Rejex inside the wheel and all over, and I get 'em clean in quick order when I wash it.

The gloves are the best tool yet for wax application in these tough spots for me.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Eric,

Try this Armor All stuff. Seriously, it's that good.

I'm a big concours guy and I really can't notice any dulling of the rims. It's such a HUGE time saver when cleaning up rims. The little bit of dirt and brake dust that does accumulate just wipes right off.

As someone mentioned before, I'm also pretty wary of cheap, gimicky products from Over The Counter manufacturers like Armor All, but they hit a home run with this stuff.

Best,

Jay
Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm finding the the wheel are a lot easier to clean when coated with Armor All. Especially the pan depth of the wheel. Cleans right up !

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Gone!!!