What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Where did you get this.

I just spoke with Gert at Carnwell and he has a cup wheel with porsche logo horn for 345 euro.
I got the leather horn button from Manuel (rennlist and eBay member mcv911). It is basically identical to the Singer horn button and you can custom order plain or grainy leather, different colors, designs, finishes, size of bezel, etc. Price is $285 plus shipping. He's been outstanding to deal with so far. Below you can see a few pics of his work.

PM me if you want his personal email.
Attached Images      
Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

New Rims/Tires/TPMS Sensors (See the Starke Fuchs thread):

Name:  20170516_182349.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  281.9 KB
Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

Very nice.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:12 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GT2RSobsessed
Finally received my shipment from Ledermanz on Saturday, which was filled with downpour. After installing, I still went out and drove to make sure everything was aligned perfectly. I 've had PSM and PASM failure message pop up, but cleared within 3 minutes of driving.

Attachment 1165953
Attachment 1165954
Attachment 1165955
Was this your steering wheel re-wrap? I need a steering wheel re-wrap (mine is currently Carrera Red) and maybe even the center console wrapped in leather (Cocoa dark brown marbled leather) I know it's a tough find. Is this the person in Latvia?
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 PM
AZMAUI
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dinfung
I am having the aero sport bumper install now and was wondering where you got the grill from?
Thanks for the info, will order myself a set. Was the installation straight forward?
Installation was very straight forward. If you search, you can find numerous threads on installation and look for the latest discount code for them too. I think this is best one that I've seen: RL112015
Old 05-17-2017, 11:22 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'd recommend you get a K&N hydrophic pre-filter cover for it too. Rain goes right into the filter when it's installed in the car and if the car is running, sucks that moisture into the intake. The hydrophobic filter cover repels water for a couple years and will keep your filter media from getting saturated with water. I have the number for the correct sized one somewhere and also recently posted it into another thread here or on 6speed. Unfortunately, you'll have to pull it apart again to install it as there isn't much room to work it over the filter with everything installed.
FWIW, I did contact EVOMS, and their response was:

"Water intrusion should be prevented through two measures--one, the stock decklid has baffles to keep water out of the driver's side inlet. Second, your airbox should have a series of drain holes in the bottom 'channel' of the airbox that collect and drain water away before it can make it to the filter. These holes can sometimes get clogged, and there are a few airboxes out there that were not manufactured with those--if yours does not have them, simply drill some 1/4" holes and that is all you need."

Mine is old enough to not have any drain holes, so I am planning to remove it and drill a few. I did not see any symptoms of water puddling in the base of the airbox, or in any other part of the intake. I realize that moisture can be carried within the air mix, but I cannot see any sign of it at this point. But I really do appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM
dinfung
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZMAUI
Installation was very straight forward. If you search, you can find numerous threads on installation and look for the latest discount code for them too. I think this is best one that I've seen: RL112015
thank you for the info. I ordered it already wish I have waited and use the code u provided
Old 05-18-2017, 12:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,589 Likes on 4,190 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
FWIW, I did contact EVOMS, and their response was:

"Water intrusion should be prevented through two measures--one, the stock decklid has baffles to keep water out of the driver's side inlet. Second, your airbox should have a series of drain holes in the bottom 'channel' of the airbox that collect and drain water away before it can make it to the filter. These holes can sometimes get clogged, and there are a few airboxes out there that were not manufactured with those--if yours does not have them, simply drill some 1/4" holes and that is all you need."

Mine is old enough to not have any drain holes, so I am planning to remove it and drill a few. I did not see any symptoms of water puddling in the base of the airbox, or in any other part of the intake. I realize that moisture can be carried within the air mix, but I cannot see any sign of it at this point. But I really do appreciate your comments. Thanks!
I wasn't worried about water pooling in the airbox and being sucked into the filter, but rather water coming in directly. If you look at the way the box is designed, the filter is right under what would be the right side opening in the decklid that's actually not opened, so in one respect, they are correct, but people who install aftermarket intakes that have openings on both sides, like the Fabspeed Y-Pipe, the Champion F77, and the Evoms box often punch out this right side plug, as it allows for outside fresh air to flow directly into the right side intake instead of having to make it's way over from the left side. If the left side was the only opening where they wanted air ingested from, they should have closed the box on the right side where the filter actually is, because the way it's open (even with the little seal on top), the right side will ingest warmer engine compartment air, and that side is not only a significantly larger opening than the one on the left, but is closer to the actual intake pipe with the MAF in it, and a more direct path without the 90 degree bend in it like the left side feed has, so I would bet that the engine is actually ingesting more air from the right side than from the left, even though the fresh air source on an OEM decklid comes in on the left.

Also, many people who have gone to this Evoms box have done it as part of a TT decklid conversion (like me), and in that case the right side is already open because the turbo has intakes on both sides of the decklid. I think you'd get a better overall result by opening the punch out on the right side as a more direct fresh air source and then using the hydrophobic cover, but totally your call - you should still drill a couple water drain holes though.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:29 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks for the info, will order myself a set. Was the installation straight forward?
Installation is super simple: 20 minutes with a screwdriver and some painter's tape and you're golden .
I only bought the center grill from Zunsport for my 2010 C4S Cab, and I bought the side grills from Chicago996 on this forum because they don't require removal of the front bumper to install them... Enjoy the new Zunsport grill, you'll enjoy not having to vacuum all the leaves/feathers/kleenex/cigarette butts out of your radiators every Spring!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 PM
Tyztoy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Left side
Name:  IMG_1302_zpswcj1dref.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  187.2 KB
both
Name:  IMG_1310_zpssfbdaupc.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  197.4 KB
Old 05-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts

I did cats and an oil change! Cats were from the group buy and they were super-easy to put on. Great fir and great quality. Just went for a test drive in the rain, and no error codes. Sound great, but hard to tell about any power increase. Taking off old cats was a huge pita due to some custom work for my center exhaust. I had some spot welds that I needed to saw off. ugh!
I had previously put on some Fabspeed headers and I had trouble fitting them, and it must have been due to the stock cats with their studs. Once I removed the old cats, I re-visited the headers and got in that one missing bolt that gave me trouble! All bolts are tight and there doesn't seem to be any exhaust leaks. No CELs so I'm in a very happy place!
Just passed 83k miles, and over 70k was with me behind the wheel!

Don't worry about the blocks. They're just belt and suspenders to calm the wife down while I'm under the car. The car is actually supported by four Asco stands that you can see in the photo.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Checked out the work - in - progress of a full repaint after getting sandblasted in a NV storm.
Attached Images   
Old 05-21-2017, 10:10 AM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Installed a Function-First shifter. Easy job and big improvement in the feel of the shifter.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine and transmission fault

Driving home to Atlanta from Lake Oconee and got an alarm for engine fault and transmission safe mode. Engine started running rough. Having it towed now to Jim Ellis. I guess timing is sort of good, CPO runs out in September. I'll post results once I hear.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,589 Likes on 4,190 Posts

Installed full carbon fiber defroster vents I've had in my closet for a year and a half. Hoping the shiny finish isn't too reflective in the windshield, though it should be well below my vision line and looks very nice compared to the original plastic ones. The versions with just the carbon strip, that strip comes loose and lifts up so I didn't want to go with that type, even though they were quite a bit less expensive.

Last edited by Petza914; 05-23-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?