997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the "Sport" button do?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:22 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does the "Sport" button do?

What does the "Sport" button do in this 997.1?

Please go easy on me, I'm still new and trying to learn all I can before I buy my first Porsche 997.

At first I thought it had something to do with the "Chrono Sport Package" and the suspension and then I thought maybe the car had the "Porsche Sport Exhaust".

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
sfrank
Advanced

According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response." In my opinion it's like the buttons on the steering wheel of the Mach 5.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by sfrank
According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response." In my opinion it's like the buttons on the steering wheel of the Mach 5.
Now that is an explanation I can relate to!

I actually saw a you tube video late last night that showed what the "Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)" button looked like in almost the same location. It looked like two exhaust tips on the button. In almost two months of looking at pictures of various cars interiors, I have yet to see that button or switch.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust, so in addition to sharpening the throttle response, it activates the Sport Exhaust.

I didn't think I would care about either of those features - now I cannot live without them. Most used/appreciated 'extra' on my car.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"Sport" also changes the parameters of your PSM (Porsche Stability Management). Basically, it will allow you to get a little more sideways, and allow a little more tire spin, before the PSM kicks in.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Reminds me of the time my wife asked what the PSM button was. I got the dirtiest look when I said it was a passenger ejection seat button ...
Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response."
Correct. IIRC, from Porsche, it's about a 25% increase in throttle response.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:54 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Oh, yeah, one more item the "Sport" button does. It give you a "harder" redline. Meaning, the Rev-limiter does not start to engage until the hard set redline. So maybe an extra 200-400 RPM before the rev-limiter cuts you out.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What the button does, precisely, depends a lot on what other features that particular car has. The sport button is part of the "Sport Chrono" package, but its behavior varies depending on transmission type, turbo or normally-aspirated, and whether or not the car is equipped with the adaptive suspension (PASM) or sport exhaust (PSE). For the full details, there's a post from 2008 that covers all the possibilities:
To summarize -- in a manual transmission, non-turbo car the sport button does not alter the performance of the car in any measurable way. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster, turn any sharper, or stop any quicker. It just changes how the car "feels."

In a turbo car, the sport button gives you a little more boost which assists with acceleration.
In a Tiptronic or PDK car the sport button alters the shifting profiles which does impact acceleration.

Opinions vary on whether it's a worthwhile feature. I've had it on two 997 cars and I never use it. Some people feel the opposite. Personally, I consider it a mandatory option on a PDK/Tip car or a Turbo, and worse-than-useless otherwise. It's a frequently asked question and there are plenty of other threads on the subject:
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nugget
What the button does, precisely, depends a lot on what other features that particular car has. The sport button is part of the "Sport Chrono" package, but its behavior varies depending on transmission type, turbo or normally-aspirated, and whether or not the car is equipped with the adaptive suspension (PASM) or sport exhaust (PSE). For the full details, there's a post from 2008 that covers all the possibilities:
To summarize -- in a manual transmission, non-turbo car the sport button does not alter the performance of the car in any measurable way. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster, turn any sharper, or stop any quicker. It just changes how the car "feels."

In a turbo car, the sport button gives you a little more boost which assists with acceleration.
In a Tiptronic or PDK car the sport button alters the shifting profiles which does impact acceleration.

Opinions vary on whether it's a worthwhile feature. I've had it on two 997 cars and I never use it. Some people feel the opposite. Personally, I consider it a mandatory option on a PDK/Tip car or a Turbo, and worse-than-useless otherwise. It's a frequently asked question and there are plenty of other threads on the subject:
Thank you for the help...
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
Now that is an explanation I can relate to!

I actually saw a you tube video late last night that showed what the "Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)" button looked like in almost the same location. It looked like two exhaust tips on the button. In almost two months of looking at pictures of various cars interiors, I have yet to see that button or switch.
The reason you don't see many PSE buttons on the 997.1 cars, is...... if a car has Sport Chrono and PSE, Porsche tied the PSE to the "Sport" (Sport Chrono) Button. A car with PSE but no Sport Chrono has the tail pipes button (a.k.a Goggles, because the tailpipe logo also looks like a pair of goggles).
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 PM
acmw
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I sent you a PM check your messages
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also found a significant difference between throttle response between my 997.1 and 997.2..
not sure its due to the engine size (both S's) but I found way more fun..

could be my right side brain getting older ..
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I have the PSE and press it automatically whenever I turn the key...even if its just to back out of the garage to wash the car.

I don't notice any change in performance with the sport button activated but keep it on just in case I'm missing something I can't notice.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,663 Posts

So does the "sport mode" make the suspension more "stiff" "sporty" like "sport suspension button/mode" -or- just change when/how PASM intervenes?

"Vehicles with the optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to Sport mode for harder damping and more direct steering, and, therefore, better road holding."

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ory_Code=997sp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does the "Sport" button do?