Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   What does the "Sport" button do? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/656644-what-does-the-sport-button-do.html)

OhioLefty 09-24-2011 11:22 PM

What does the "Sport" button do?

What does the "Sport" button do in this 997.1?

Please go easy on me, I'm still new and trying to learn all I can before I buy my first Porsche 997.

http://www.cstatic-images.com/supers...0397031.12.jpg

At first I thought it had something to do with the "Chrono Sport Package" and the suspension and then I thought maybe the car had the "Porsche Sport Exhaust".

Thanks in advance...

sfrank 09-25-2011 01:08 AM

According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response." In my opinion it's like the buttons on the steering wheel of the Mach 5.

OhioLefty 09-25-2011 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by sfrank (Post 8894521)
According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response." In my opinion it's like the buttons on the steering wheel of the Mach 5.

Now that is an explanation I can relate to! :thumbsup:

I actually saw a you tube video late last night that showed what the "Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)" button looked like in almost the same location. It looked like two exhaust tips on the button. In almost two months of looking at pictures of various cars interiors, I have yet to see that button or switch.

vman4639 09-25-2011 01:10 PM

I have the Porsche Sport Exhaust, so in addition to sharpening the throttle response, it activates the Sport Exhaust.

I didn't think I would care about either of those features - now I cannot live without them. Most used/appreciated 'extra' on my car.

No HTwo O 09-25-2011 01:29 PM

"Sport" also changes the parameters of your PSM (Porsche Stability Management). Basically, it will allow you to get a little more sideways, and allow a little more tire spin, before the PSM kicks in.

mander 09-25-2011 01:47 PM

Reminds me of the time my wife asked what the PSM button was. I got the dirtiest look when I said it was a passenger ejection seat button ...

No HTwo O 09-25-2011 01:51 PM

According to Porsche..."The Sport button adjusts the engine’s response to suit one’s preferred driving style. Pressing the Sport button changes the electronic engine mapping so it engages a sharper throttle response."

Correct. IIRC, from Porsche, it's about a 25% increase in throttle response.

No HTwo O 09-25-2011 01:54 PM

Oh, yeah, one more item the "Sport" button does. It give you a "harder" redline. Meaning, the Rev-limiter does not start to engage until the hard set redline. So maybe an extra 200-400 RPM before the rev-limiter cuts you out.

Nugget 09-25-2011 02:32 PM

What the button does, precisely, depends a lot on what other features that particular car has. The sport button is part of the "Sport Chrono" package, but its behavior varies depending on transmission type, turbo or normally-aspirated, and whether or not the car is equipped with the adaptive suspension (PASM) or sport exhaust (PSE). For the full details, there's a post from 2008 that covers all the possibilities:
To summarize -- in a manual transmission, non-turbo car the sport button does not alter the performance of the car in any measurable way. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster, turn any sharper, or stop any quicker. It just changes how the car "feels."

In a turbo car, the sport button gives you a little more boost which assists with acceleration.
In a Tiptronic or PDK car the sport button alters the shifting profiles which does impact acceleration.

Opinions vary on whether it's a worthwhile feature. I've had it on two 997 cars and I never use it. Some people feel the opposite. Personally, I consider it a mandatory option on a PDK/Tip car or a Turbo, and worse-than-useless otherwise. It's a frequently asked question and there are plenty of other threads on the subject:

OhioLefty 09-25-2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nugget (Post 8895372)
What the button does, precisely, depends a lot on what other features that particular car has. The sport button is part of the "Sport Chrono" package, but its behavior varies depending on transmission type, turbo or normally-aspirated, and whether or not the car is equipped with the adaptive suspension (PASM) or sport exhaust (PSE). For the full details, there's a post from 2008 that covers all the possibilities:
To summarize -- in a manual transmission, non-turbo car the sport button does not alter the performance of the car in any measurable way. It doesn't make the car accelerate any faster, turn any sharper, or stop any quicker. It just changes how the car "feels."

In a turbo car, the sport button gives you a little more boost which assists with acceleration.
In a Tiptronic or PDK car the sport button alters the shifting profiles which does impact acceleration.

Opinions vary on whether it's a worthwhile feature. I've had it on two 997 cars and I never use it. Some people feel the opposite. Personally, I consider it a mandatory option on a PDK/Tip car or a Turbo, and worse-than-useless otherwise. It's a frequently asked question and there are plenty of other threads on the subject:

Thank you for the help...

gota911 09-25-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLefty (Post 8894934)
Now that is an explanation I can relate to! :thumbsup:

I actually saw a you tube video late last night that showed what the "Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)" button looked like in almost the same location. It looked like two exhaust tips on the button. In almost two months of looking at pictures of various cars interiors, I have yet to see that button or switch.

The reason you don't see many PSE buttons on the 997.1 cars, is...... if a car has Sport Chrono and PSE, Porsche tied the PSE to the "Sport" (Sport Chrono) Button. A car with PSE but no Sport Chrono has the tail pipes button (a.k.a Goggles, because the tailpipe logo also looks like a pair of goggles). :D

acmw 09-27-2011 11:17 PM

I sent you a PM check your messages

mzn50 09-28-2011 09:26 AM

I also found a significant difference between throttle response between my 997.1 and 997.2..
not sure its due to the engine size (both S's) but I found way more fun..

could be my right side brain getting older ..

Waxer 09-29-2011 06:12 PM

I have the PSE and press it automatically whenever I turn the key...even if its just to back out of the garage to wash the car.

I don't notice any change in performance with the sport button activated but keep it on just in case I'm missing something I can't notice. :cool:

BHMav8r 09-30-2011 12:13 PM

So does the "sport mode" make the suspension more "stiff" "sporty" like "sport suspension button/mode" -or- just change when/how PASM intervenes?

"Vehicles with the optional Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) also switches to Sport mode for harder damping and more direct steering, and, therefore, better road holding."

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ory_Code=997sp