Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here NOT like driving in sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
s329
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here NOT like driving in sport mode?

I find it just much easier to give a smoother throttle without the sport mode engaged in my 08' C2S. As a habit I turn on Sport mode and turn PASM off (NYC driving), but yesterday I turned it off and yes the throttle mapping gives you the impression of less power but it is there, your foot just has to travel a little further, but by doing that I feel like my shifts and accelerating is much smoother. Not sure how everyone else here feels about it...
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

The throttle mapping is a little "twitchy" for my tastes in Sport Mode.
Admittedly, I don't use it much, which is probably why I don't favor it over default mode.
It would be nice if the electronics would allow you to select Sport Mode as the default instead of having to manually turn it on each time. That way, you'd quickly get used to the more aggressive throttle set-up.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I much prefer Sport Mode. The only time I turn it off is when

A: I am on the phone (sport exhaust)
B: Wife is with me (sport exhaust - plus, she either drives the Mini-Van or Jeep, so everything feels fast in the 911)
C: I am on a longer / highway drive
Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM
bagombo
Intermediate

I unplugged the little connector on the PSE and can now enjoy the sound without the annoyance of a less modulated throttle response and pressing buttons unnecessarily every time I start the car.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

I preferred the flatter throttle response curve of sport mode OFF and drove that way except when on the track, running switchbacks, or just horsing around.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I preferred the flatter throttle response curve of sport mode OFF and drove that way except when on the track, running switchbacks, or just horsing around.
I find the throttle to be too sensitive in Sport mode, whether on the street or track. I have permanently enabled the sport exhaust and simply hit the PASM button when I want to drive more aggressively.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ON for spirited driving, even if for just a few turns. Otherwise it is always off. I have PSE and sometimes prefer to hear the stereo.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I never used sport mode in my C2S. I felt that the twitchy throttle was worse than the non-sport mapping. hard to be smooth on the track. Since sport doesn't make the car go any faster, turn any sharper, or stop any quicker I don't really see the point.

No need for relaxed PSM settings on the street, and for the track I run PSM off so that's no help either.

It bugs me that Porsche sells the sport chrono at all. It's such an affected bauble, Ferry surely would not approve.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM
LeNoah
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't like the throttle response in sport mode so I just turn on the "sport suspension" button when I want to feel that "attached to the road" sensation. Not sure whether all cars have that option.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
s329
Racer

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that the throttle response is a tad too twitchy. Like many have said it doesn't make the car go any faster. On the highway/track I can understand why it might make sense, but for everyday driving, I feel like we think its just the "sexy" option to have on all the time, despite it being quite impractical. (i don't have PSE so I understand for those that want to hear their exhausts, but if I did, I wouldn't have it mapped to the PSE button anyway)
Old 08-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

95% of the time Sport Mode is on, and rarely the suspension on. Roads in the USA are too rough.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Imagine the engineer guy who first figured it out, "Hey! We can give drivers the option of an instant lead foot at the flip of a switch! Call the marketing people! They'll be thrilled!"

LOL.

Yes it's fun. Also makes burning more gas easier.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you had a button on your dash labelled "LESS SMOOTH" would you push it? That's effectively what the sport button is.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my C4S I had also unplugged the little magic orange plug in the engine compartment and enjoyed the PSE on all the time... what a sound. Loved it. But the sport mapping did make it a bit jumpy and less smooth so I didnt use it very often. Annoying for driving in town.

On the turbo though, the sport button which again makes it a bit more jumpy and skittish, helps with getting the turbo boost on faster, as it just puts the "led foot" down, so I do enjoy it more... The absence of PSE kills me though... So as I recover from the purchase blow, first serious mod has to be the exhaust note... Europipe here I come...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

It can be a little jumpy, especially off the line, but I prefer it on. I like the quicker response.

Quick Reply: Anyone here NOT like driving in sport mode?