Sponsored by:

Sports chrono question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Sports chrono question.

Does sports chrono add any performance benefits if not ordered with PDK?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

No, it does not.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:51 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sports chrono plus adds launch control which will absolutely make a performance improvement when accelerating from a stop.

The other nice feature included with SC is the ability to memorize mirror, seat, etc. positions to the drivers key so when your wife drops you and takes the Porsche she will be able to simply put her key in the ignition and the seat positions and else adjust to her liking.

In my opinion you will lose much more that the $1400 this option costs if you ever decide to re-sell your car. I can't imagine ever buying a PDK version without it.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

He said NOT ordered with PDK. The answer is yes.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm confused, what is the answer?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

With the exception of the Turbo Sport Chrono offer NO performance increases. Simply put the performance of your car will be the same i.e. power output. It does remap to make things happen quicker - take the gas pedal for instance... it gets remapped to be much like a quarter turn throttle on a drag-bike... you won't have to press it far to get to full throttle. It’s quicker but you only have 355HP (s) no matter what... It does give you other nice features and is well worth the money... IMHO

Matt
Old 09-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes it does offer performance benefit in the sense that it switches to an aggresive engine management map when ON.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Yes it does offer performance benefit in the sense that it switches to an aggresive engine management map when ON.
It is a throttle remapping, does absolutely nothing to the engine or engine management, and has zero performance impact.

On PDK, Tip, or Turbo cars the answer is more complicated, but as asked the answer to the original poster's question is "no, there is no performance improvement from sport chrono." Sport mode on or off the car has the same horsepower, same torque, same grip, same brakes, and same driver.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:49 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
He said NOT ordered with PDK. The answer is yes.
Sorry, I will work on my reading skills.

It is still nice to have just for the memory feature even though the performance gain is merely perceived and not real.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So, in summary:

Normally Aspirated manual 997 with Sport Chrono:
- Remaps the throttle so that the 0-100% range occurs in a shorter distance/throw of the gas pedal (read: gas pedal is more sensitive)
- Horsepower remains the same
- Torque remains the same
- PSM set to lower threshold (read: PSM in Sport mode permits more oversteer before intervening)
- Provides some user-configuration settings, like climate control settings, day time running lights, 'Welcome Home' Settings, door lock settings

Normally Aspirated PDK 997 with Sport Chrono:
- Remaps the throttle so that the 0-100% range occurs in a shorter distance/throw of the gas pedal (read: gas pedal is more sensitive)
- Torque remains the same
- PSM set to lower threshold (read: PSM in Sport mode permits more oversteer before intervening)
- Provides some user-configuration settings, like climate control settings, day time running lights, 'Welcome Home' Settings, door lock settings
- Permits 'Launch Control' which enables quicker standing starts by revving the engine to high RPM and releasing brake (arguable 'performance' improvement depending on how one defines performance improvement)

Turbocharged 997 with Sport Chrono:
- Torque is increased about 30 ft/lb (up to about 508 ft/lbs) by the system permitting 10 seconds of 'overboost'

See graph from Porsche on the throttle remapping:
Attached Images  

Last edited by InTheAir; 09-24-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't forget the elevated threshold that PSM intervenes at. Sport mode lets you have a little more fun and keep your electronic safety net.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:49 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah yes, I'll add that to the list.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
Don't forget the elevated threshold that PSM intervenes at. Sport mode lets you have a little more fun and keep your electronic safety net.
This is the best part of Sport Chrono, IMHO.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It's funny how this one option has really raised the hair up on so many 997 owners. (I wonder if Porsche AG is listening?)

When I drive my Cabriolet I tend to leave it on probably about 95% of the time. I do it because I have PSE,--Porsche Sport Exhaust, and it turns it on. I happen to like the advanced throttle mapping. I'm now used to that sort of accelerator. A friend of mine with a coupe and no PSE RARELY uses it. He is used to driving the car without the advanced mapping.

It's funny how two guys have an entirely different perspective on that little button. Sure, I appreciate some of the tailoring that it permits, but I don't have to mess with that stuff very often. I think moreover, it's due to the exhaust sound. With a cabriolet (roof up or down) you can get a GREAT sound from PSE. Much of it is muffled to the driver on the coupes. For others downstream of your car THEY get to hear your car, but their level of appreciation may be entirely different!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nugget
It is a throttle remapping, does absolutely nothing to the engine or engine management, and has zero performance impact.

On PDK, Tip, or Turbo cars the answer is more complicated, but as asked the answer to the original poster's question is "no, there is no performance improvement from sport chrono." Sport mode on or off the car has the same horsepower, same torque, same grip, same brakes, and same driver.
I must be lost. If the throttle response & shifting is switched to an aggresive mode which makes the acceleration and deceleration quicker and which is also very usable at the track... wouldn't that be considered greater performance than in normal mode??

Quick Reply: Sports chrono question.