Sponsored by:

in need of sports chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default in need of sports chrono

Just got a new 2010 c2s that is sans sc. Car feels dead without it and certainly can't h-t without it, so I am in the market to upgrade to sports chrono (or other product that mimics sc)

Let me preface with the fact that I have done my searching

So - It seems like Suncoast can do a factory sports chrono "sport" button for $900 + $300ish at the dealer for them to upload new factory software.

2 questions:

-are there any cheaper options (aftermarket) for sports chrono that wouldn't void my warranty?

-does sports chrono raise the limits at which psm intervenes? I have heard both yes and no on this subject...
Old 12-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sport chrono does relax the PSM allowing more slip before it will intervene, yes.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Go for it. The factory software add-on is a good thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:51 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

If it does indeed raise the amount of slip in "sport" it might just be worth it as I can have an added sense of security leaving it in sport
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by troppo
If it does indeed raise the amount of slip in "sport" it might just be worth it as I can have an added sense of security leaving it in sport
It does that.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using the Holiday dealer discount coupon to add the SC software to my 2005 this month -- 20% off on the part.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:02 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your 2010 feels dead, it's time to bring it back and have them fix it
SC really doesn't do anything - read up on the dozens of threads on it. You get no more HP or torque, it just slightly changes how many mm of foot pedal travel. For example (I'm making up these numbers), if to get 50% throttle it takes 6mm of gas pedal push-down, with SC it might be 5mm. Floor it in either sport or normal and it's still 100% throttle. A trick sales guys can play with you is you're on a test drive and just cruising and they say "now watch what happens when I press Sport" and the car jumps. It's just the same as if you pressed the gas slightly.

As to raising the limits of PSM, the 2009+ already has the latest generation of PSM, which means it won't get in the way, pretty much ever. That opinion comes from 2 full years on the track with my 09 C2S and I never need to turn of PSM (believe me, I've sampled it both ways). I tell my students that ask about PSM that if you are driving correctly, it will never get in the way.

That all being said, I do like Softronic, which is a re-map optimization software that you can install yourself with a laptop. When mine went in I did notice an actual "improvement" in the performance, the power delivery became a bit more linear without that little pause on the way up.

The only other "tinkering" I did was to get the Sharkwerks Primary Bypass. Something like $700 and it creates a nice improvement to sound and performance, especially when matched with Softronic.

Warranty? Companies (including Porsche) have been making chips, software, bypasses / mufflers, etc. for dozens of years and I've never heard of 1 instance where there was a problem or a warranty claim. As with everything you do with your car, there's always a chance of somebody trying to take away your rights related to warranty.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:21 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

I do realize exactly what sport chrono does (pedal travel mapping) and the primary reason I desire it is because it is very difficult to heel-toe without it as you must depress the gas pedal too far to get a nice blip...
The softronic is enticing but I am paranoid about warranty issues...
Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've found the magic solution to sport chrono with wart delete!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

The SC throtle remapping may be just a few mm offset but changes the user foot interface noticeably. The car is far more responsive. Not added performance, but a more sensitive/directed commanded performance, and that is important.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, HT is harder with SC and everyone at the track (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, and Monticello where I run) tried SC and never pressed the button again. We're talking about maybe 1mm of pedal travel of difference, meaning about the width of this -- l -- character. Also, SC mapping is jumpy and not as smooth / linear as even normal. Again, those that have tried it (and I mean very experienced drivers, not a Green student who just got a new car) never pressed it again. If you are on the track, which is the only place to HT, there isn't a problem whatsoever. You have to constantly adapt as the pads wear down your HT foot position has to change anyway.

Regarding Softronic, primary bypass, etc. Try a search and you'll find lots of threads on the subject. And what you won't find is even 1 example of where factory or aftermarket "sport" related software / exhaust have caused a problem over the 30 or so years the market has been making them. I have to believe that Porsche is happy to sell you a "sport" mapping or "sport" exhaust because they know it's not going to harm the engine or car.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the setup features in PCM only available with SC? setting up door lock behavior, for instance?

Are these available/accessible any other way?

Thanks -
Marc (no SC)
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectro28
What about the setup features in PCM only available with SC? setting up door lock behavior, for instance?

Are these available/accessible any other way?

Thanks -
Marc (no SC)
If you don't want them changed on a regular basis, any semi-friendly service manager will do it for you.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 548 Posts

I recently added the factory SC to my 09 CS. I haven't had muhk of a chance, snow, to make any observations. I had an 09 Cayman S with PDK/SC prior to this car. I thought turning the PSM off was helpful with brake pad wear.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

+1 on SC's "sport mode" throttle being too sensitive for proper HT at the track. Throttle is more like a light switch in sport mode. On the street, where the brake pedal is always high, it would help with HT a bit... but I would rather change my footwork a little than retrofit the option (but hey, it's your car do what you want).

Best advice on HT I ever got was to rest your heel in front of the throttle pedal, then brake with your big toe ONLY. That leaves you with plenty of foot/sole available for throttle inputs. Once that became natural to me, I never had a problem doing HT in any car.

Quick Reply: in need of sports chrono