Sponsored by:

2011 GTS - 1 month, 2k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 168 Posts
Default 2011 GTS - 1 month, 2k miles

Well, after a month and 2000 miles, here are my impressions of the GTS. Just for reference, the 2011 GTS replaced my 2006 C2S, which I owned for five years.

My very first impression of the GTS was how much more "solid" it felt compared to my '06. It's probably due to the Sports Suspension (new to me), but the car is a brick…not stiff, but solid…hard to put into words, but immediately evident once you get behind the wheel and start driving. It feels so much more stable when being pushed.

Another huge difference - Adaptive Sport Seats. I actually did not order them on my '06 (on purpose) because I thought they were uncomfortable. I changed my mind this time, and it was a great decision. The Adaptive Sport Seats are worth every penny…they're comfortable, very adjustable, and super supportive. I've been on several longish drives with no back discomfort.

The other big decision I made in ordering the GTS was ticking the PDK box, making this my first 911 without a manual transmission. I was semi-worried about this, but I shouldn't have been. The PDK is simply amazing. Put it in D and you can motor around in traffic without effort. Pull the shift lever toward you, hit the Sport button, and position your hands at the steering wheel paddles - well, it's a whole different experience. Sport Plus takes it all up another notch, too. The shifts are fast. The downshifts are seamless. The transmission is simply a perfect match for the engine. (The paddle-shifter steering wheel is a must-have, IMO.)

I know it's heresy to prefer an "automatic" over a manual, but the PDK really is the best of both worlds. I was a skeptic who is now a convert.

Other little things? The satellite radio receiver is far superior to the satellite radio in my wife's Audi Q5. It caches the signal much better (meaning less signal drop-outs), and the audio quality is far less "bubbly." Unfortunately, the Sirius/XM programming is still mediocre, but at least it sounds better in the 911.

Overall, I think the Bose stereo sounds much better in the 997.2. I find I'm using the USB port for all my iTunes, which I loaded onto a USB stick.

Is the GTS the perfect 911? No, but it's the best 911 I've ever owned. Is it worth the premium price (over an S)? It was to me, but, like the man said, "Price is what you pay; value is what you get."

On a scale of one-to-ten, I'd give the GTS with PDK a solid 9. It's exceeded my expectations so far.

Oh, and the Platinum Silver Metallic is SO MUCH EASIER to take care of than my previous Black. Big shocker, I know.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gorgeous car...

and a great color. Glad to hear you're enjoying the improvements. Is the power difference greatly noticeable? I would assume it to be so, given the nearly 60hp increase and the quicker PDK shifts.

The adaptive seats are amazing--increased weight be damned!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Most excellent! Your impressions match my '10 997.2S experience.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

I could do a longer, more detailed post about the DFI engine with the power kit.
The extra HP is immediately noticeable. But, I loved the engine in my '06.
The GTS power plant is torquey and very strong, but I don't feel like I'm in immediate danger of getting out-of-control, like I've felt driving a turbo. Technology may have caught up with the whole "motor hanging out the back" dynamic with this generation of 911.
Honestly, I haven't pushed it super hard just yet. Only pretty hard.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful Car ! Nice write up.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 595 Posts

Great car - i have the 997.2S and i feel the same way. The jump to 385HP was cool and you have more. i wish the GTS was around in 2009. I would have bought it. I wanted the wide azz but didnt want 4wd for LA. The X51 and the PSE are also great options. Enjoy.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Very nice car. No surprise that you gave it a 9/10. 1) What would it take to get a perfect score ? How is it different from GT silver. It seems to have the same depth and richness of the GT silver with less blue. 2) Am I right ? I too love my adaptive sports seats. I wish I did not have the weight penalty. Interestingly my Cayenne's XM has quite a few dropped signals. 3) Is the sport steering wheel thicker than the regular non-paddle steering wheel ? I wish my steering wheel was a little thicker.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spectacular car.. 'nuff said.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's a beauty.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
...What would it take to get a perfect score ? How is it different from GT silver. It seems to have the same depth and richness of the GT silver with less blue. ...Is the sport steering wheel thicker than the regular non-paddle steering wheel?...
The Platinum Silver Metallic is less white than Arctic Silver, and less blue than GT Silver, I think. If anything, the PSM leans a little grey. It's very silver in sunshine; less so in shade.
The sport steering wheel is thicker. I'll be very interested to see how the Alcantara rim holds up over time.
Nine-out-of-ten is the best I can do, score-wise. I've never had a car that was a "10." Maybe if the GTS was about $15K less expensive?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 192 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice write up, beautiful car and pic. All of your comments re:PDK, the paddle shift wheel, etc are spot on, IMO.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car, beautiful color. Thanks for sharing your story.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I have Sort PASM on my 09 Carrera S with PDK and I totally agree with you. Sport PASM is really the way to go in the Carrera S or GTS....the car drives and looks (sit lowered a little) better with Sport PASM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I could do a longer, more detailed post about the DFI engine with the power kit.
The extra HP is immediately noticeable. But, I loved the engine in my '06.
The GTS power plant is torquey and very strong, but I don't feel like I'm in immediate danger of getting out-of-control, like I've felt driving a turbo. Technology may have caught up with the whole "motor hanging out the back" dynamic with this generation of 911.
Honestly, I haven't pushed it super hard just yet. Only pretty hard.
Would like to hear the engine comparison as you've had extensive experience with both.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

luv the center locks!

Quick Reply: 2011 GTS - 1 month, 2k miles