Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, fine, I get that you feel that way. But don't put it on me. When you say "But we all have this little thing going" that's just plain wrong. We don't all think that way.

I guess it explains why you're so adamantly in favor of the Turbo. It's not about the car at all, it's about where you think the car falls on some continuum of desirability. I understand what you're saying, but I absolutely don't agree.

There are, by my count, seventeen different flavors of 911 currently for sale. You can't line them all up from worst to best. That's just not how things truly are. There's not a "best" one and there's not a "worst" one. (Well, ok, we can all agree that the C4 make no sense on any level ) Porsche builds these cars for different buyers who have different priorities and the "best" 911 isn't going to be the same for everyone. Same thing is true even if you throw the Boxster into the mix. In a lot of ways the Boxster is a better convertible than a 911 Cab, and for someone who wants a convertible more than anything else the Boxster might be the "best" car. When they pull up next to you at the light, they're not going to feel jealous or regretful or have that "same feeling" you apparently have for the Carrera GT. More likely they'll just be happy to see another Porsche and another enthusiast driving it.

And, while I think seventeen is crazy excessive, I'd love to see a Targa Turbo.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about TT vs GT3?

I have a 997S now, and if you have seen me in the 993 sections you'll see I am looking to get a 993 cab, before I desired a 993 I was thinking of trading my 997S for either a Turbo or a GT3. For me, it would be strictly weekend street use, that is why the choice was so tough for me, in fact I still haven't decided.

So what are you opinions on that?

John
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack
What about TT vs GT3?

I have a 997S now, and if you have seen me in the 993 sections you'll see I am looking to get a 993 cab, before I desired a 993 I was thinking of trading my 997S for either a Turbo or a GT3. For me, it would be strictly weekend street use, that is why the choice was so tough for me, in fact I still haven't decided.

So what are you opinions on that?

John
I'm an autocrosser. Between the TT and GT3 it would definitely be the GT3.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

i hope this thread does not turn out into something i did not intend it to become. all we need it an honest to goodness general impression of these two cars as road toys.. no intention of winning track events nor bragging that i have a turbo that is more expensive than your c2s.. all we want are subjective assesments of these 2 new cars on the road. i am very saisfied with my 2010 c2s. it makes me smile all the time i drive it. the opportunity is now there for a turbo. and i am sure that if i test drive it i will be overtaken by the sheer power of the car, nevertheless as many pointed out this sheer power is not the end all of it. there is feel there is lightness which probably translates to nimbleness there are other things that come into play when one already owns it. one might realize that the other is the better car for the road. i think the sharing will make everyone wiser to the products we so dearly love. in the end as one already said all porsche owners are winners..
Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

you know guys i think this is similar to the question why was the Mazda miata so popular during its time. it had little power compared to other cars. it was small...why the heck did it start winning sports car awards...why did it start winning the hearts of so many enthusiasts??maybe there is something more to a sports car....that we hopefully can all be enlightened with...
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
OK, fine, I get that you feel that way. But don't put it on me. When you say "But we all have this little thing going" that's just plain wrong. We don't all think that way.
Same with me. I do not lust for any car I do not have. I could have bought a Turbo if I wanted to.

And to the comment that NA owners $itch about the turbo bulk and not the C4S bulk. Yes, we do. I ordered my car and specced it for lightness - no Bose, no XM, no electric seats (and not to save money either).
Old 08-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have faced this choice C2S vs Turbo (now admittedly it was an '09 997.1 Turbo)...and elected for the C2S.

Why? The C2S was much lighter, afforded substantially better driving feel, coupled with instantaneous throttle response and coming from a 997.1 GT3....was a rather more compelling shift.

I felt, the Turbo had rocketship heft but lacked feedback, sounded like a vacuum cleaner and left me non plussed...now granted quite a few of these sins were addressed with the 997.2 or as ECLOU might point out could be "tuned" out.

Still i couldn't - and pretty much still can't - get excited by the overweighted blown Turbo geezer....

Now a GT2 RS.....fawwk me.

But i'd still have to think long and hard vs the GT3 RS....
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i hope this thread does not turn out into something i did not intend it to become. all we need it an honest to goodness general impression of these two cars as road toys..
Road car choice: 997S or a Turbo? For 99% of guys: Get the Turbo! Ignore the very special 997S owners. Go to an active Turbo forum and ask around. Nobody there will ever miss their 997Ss enough to trade in their Turbos.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will any TT owners chime in on the cost of general maintenance versus their 997S?????
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I was all ready to buy an '09 Turbo, test drove one, and WHOA! I realized very quickly that where I live (VA near DC), a Turbo would get me into a LOT of trouble. So I test-drove an '09 C4S and found it to be completely adequate for what I needed. It's as fast as I'll ever need it to be, has NA maintenance costs, and doesn't carry the wild insurance premiums. Would I buy a Turbo? Sure I would, but only if I moved back out west (CA, AZ, CO, etc.) where I might actually get to enjoy the power.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Would I buy a Turbo? Sure I would, but only if I moved back out west (CA, AZ, CO, etc.) where I might actually get to enjoy the power.
Agreed. +1 If I lived full-time in a mostly urbanized area I wouldn't even own a Porsche.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Road car choice: 997S or a Turbo? For 99% of guys: Get the Turbo! Ignore the very special 997S owners. Go to an active Turbo forum and ask around. Nobody there will ever miss their 997Ss enough to trade in their Turbos.
In your heart you must lust for the new 997.2 DFI S, as you post so much on this forum. You dream about the silk smoothness of its NA engine ramping up to 7.2kRPM, while nimbly negotiating a fast S on a tight mountain road.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
In your heart you must lust for the new 997.2 DFI S, as you post so much on this forum.
The LIBr doth protest too much, methinks.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

It is ok to be "Very special"

Need a new bumper sticker

Join the 1%'ers
Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Gj325
Pro

I started with a Targa4S it didn't take me four month to realize that for me the Non Turbo didn't have enough Wow for me. Wasn't what I thought it would be drove the Turbo one time and new I was on the right track. I ended up ordering Turbo S so I am hoping for a even better wow factor.

But the Targa has plenty of power I just like feeling the back of my head glued to the headrest.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo