Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Let's all be nice! Respect eachother. Give the benefit of the doubt. A little kindness. You know... . The last thing we would want is for this forum to turn into [a specific other Rennlist forum] where testosterone poisoning and misanthropy rule.

Make a joke we can all enjoy instead of an insult aimed to hurt. Awwww..., what's the use? never mind!
Speaking of which, we can start a thread comparing the maintenance costs of a 997 vs a 928...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, there's some mean spirits in this topic.
Sean, if you want my numbers for how much my maintenance/upkeep/insurance is on my '06 model, please send me a PM (don't want to post all the details publicly).

I moved from a 7 year old VW GTI to a 997 C4S Cab, so I can relate to your predicament.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:47 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the oil yourself and stay away from unscheduled maintenance (?) then the costs are more similar than not.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winkingchef
Wow, there's some mean spirits in this topic.
Sean, if you want my numbers for how much my maintenance/upkeep/insurance is on my '06 model, please send me a PM (don't want to post all the details publicly).

I moved from a 7 year old VW GTI to a 997 C4S Cab, so I can relate to your predicament.
I don't think it's truly mean spirits but perhaps some of us getting frustrated in this ongoing questioning about costs, the expensive nature of Porsche, what car to buy, what options to get, etc.. And with much contradiction, too.

Another RL member gave me the heads up that it's been going on since 2007.

Here's a post just recently in which many of us (myself including) spent time giving opinions and advice: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-options.html

Here's the first one in 2007:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post4341087

Then in 2008:
https://rennlist.com/forums/5620647-post1.html

Then for 2009: https://rennlist.com/forums/5834326-post1.html

And throughout are the same comments about how expensive Porsches are, and how can anybody afford them.

And the constant questions of maintenance costs. It goes on and on. For years. https://rennlist.com/forums/5872182-post1.html

And another RL'er offered once to help locate a new car for him last fall. His response: https://rennlist.com/forums/7010727-post14.html That RL member offered to find him one if he could please be specific with color and some options. But the OP never responded.

Anyway, I'm not particularly mean spirited and am, in fact, a decent person. But it certainly begins to smell fishy, imho. Why engage other people's time and advice like this? I linked those Edmund's sites because I thought they might help him get info from other sources (although I didn't read them through myself, my fault there.) And the response was a sarcastic one. After over three years, can't he get info on his own? Doesn't he have enough already from members here? Will we see the same redundant posts in 2011, 2012...?

I'm gone for good off this thread now. But sorry, something just doesn't seem quite normal here. Looks and tastes like a troll of some kind, imho.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. And if so, I'll eat my hair a la Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 AM
boolala
Race Car

^^^^^Good pickup.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Canyon, well said!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:55 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipgun
Great post Canyon, well said!
+1

However, we have no one to blame but ourselves for this nonsense. Imagine....over 150 posts on this thread alone!

When we're asked questions that seem to be "trolling" in nature, are just plain stupid ("What should I buy, this '07 911 with 4,400 miles or this '01 Boxster with 87,000 miles?"), or have been asked so many times before ("Can I use 87 octane gas in my car?") why do we get sucked in and write responses? This only encourages people like Sean (and others) to initiate such threads.

I'm with Canyon on this one, but I think all of us should be more selective about the posts we respond to. I congratulate all of you who offer your help and knowledge so generously to those in need of it, by the way. That's what makes Rennlist a valuable resource for all of us.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I don't think it's truly mean spirits but perhaps some of us getting frustrated in this ongoing questioning about costs, the expensive nature of Porsche, what car to buy, what options to get, etc.. And with much contradiction, too.

Another RL member gave me the heads up that it's been going on since 2007.

Here's a post just recently in which many of us (myself including) spent time giving opinions and advice: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-options.html

Here's the first one in 2007:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ml#post4341087

Then in 2008:
https://rennlist.com/forums/5620647-post1.html

Then for 2009: https://rennlist.com/forums/5834326-post1.html

And throughout are the same comments about how expensive Porsches are, and how can anybody afford them.

And the constant questions of maintenance costs. It goes on and on. For years. https://rennlist.com/forums/5872182-post1.html

And another RL'er offered once to help locate a new car for him last fall. His response: https://rennlist.com/forums/7010727-post14.html That RL member offered to find him one if he could please be specific with color and some options. But the OP never responded.

Anyway, I'm not particularly mean spirited and am, in fact, a decent person. But it certainly begins to smell fishy, imho. Why engage other people's time and advice like this? I linked those Edmund's sites because I thought they might help him get info from other sources (although I didn't read them through myself, my fault there.) And the response was a sarcastic one. After over three years, can't he get info on his own? Doesn't he have enough already from members here? Will we see the same redundant posts in 2011, 2012...?

I'm gone for good off this thread now. But sorry, something just doesn't seem quite normal here. Looks and tastes like a troll of some kind, imho.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. And if so, I'll eat my hair a la Jeremy Clarkson.
Wow it's Matlock! I see you are upset about me creating 3-5 new threads over 3 years! I must have exceeded your quota.

However, I admit you did an excellent summary of the past 3 years of my life.

In 2007 I was starting my shopping -turned out I was not ready - and I wanted to wait for the PDK. (Having driven many Audi DSG's.)

In 2008-9 after many on RL said to wait for the PDK. But I was worried about the new transmission over an extended life. (hence the post "Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?") So I held off and went with the BMW 135i for the household fun car. (As someone found on another site.)

Now it's 2010 the PDK is proven and I am asking about long term maintenance.
(But RL members turned it into a thread about wealth, which isn't an issue. But that does not mean I waste money or make unwise decisions.)

I always thought a troll was someone who purposely tried to invoke conflict. That was never my intent.

What I was expecting to find here was a community of people who helped each other out. Maybe someone could have suggested an event where people meet in person and/or drive there cars. Having been on an Audi forum for years, I went to many events, some hosted by Audi dealers where they would tour the shop and answer questions.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Wow it's Matlock! I see you are upset about me creating 3-5 new threads over 3 years! I must have exceeded your quota.

However, I admit you did an excellent summary of the past 3 years of my life.

In 2007 I was starting my shopping -turned out I was not ready - and I wanted to wait for the PDK. (Having driven many Audi DSG's.)

In 2008-9 after many on RL said to wait for the PDK. But I was worried about the new transmission over an extended life. (hence the post "Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?") So I held off and went with the BMW 135i for the household fun car. (As someone found on another site.)

Now it's 2010 the PDK is proven and I am asking about long term maintenance.
(But RL members turned it into a thread about wealth, which isn't an issue. But that does not mean I waste money or make unwise decisions.)

I always thought a troll was someone who purposely tried to invoke conflict. That was never my intent.

What I was expecting to find here was a community of people who helped each other out. Maybe someone could have suggested an event where people meet in person and/or drive there cars. Having been on an Audi forum for years, I went to many events, some hosted by Audi dealers where they would tour the shop and answer questions.
Hey Sean, how's it going?

No problem, I don't think anybody's upset (I'm certainly not) but simply trying to figure out why the barrage of repetitive questions. Particularly the comments about how expensive these cars are and how can anybody afford them, etc.. And your recent comment about how can a young couple possibly afford a Panamera. It's a big world out there, there are some wealthy folks doing okay. We all know Porsches are expensive, but hey it's all relative. Don't let that bother you too much.

And no questions about performance or driving dynamics. No interest in the tech side? Maybe you know these cars inside and out except for the maintenance costs(?)

Hence it all sounded suspiciously provocative.

Not a Matlock here. As I mentioned, another RLer sent me those links.

Anyway, I think VGM911 nailed it perfectly. And you have all the info in the world at your finger tips.

And yes, RL is a great place for info with some very knowledgeable and very helpful folks. However, we all share info and aren't here to simply ingest it. It's always nicer to help those who also help themselves. (p.s., the PDK doesn't have an extended life out in the real world quite yet, so it's a tough question to definitively answer at this point. At least not in your "will my new Porsche last for 150k mile" scenario.)

Lots of get-togethers are posted here. Have you attended any? Are you a PCA member? The LA chapter meets at the Spitfire Grill in Santa Monica. Cars and Coffee events, too. Plenty of opportunities.

So. Go out and buy one. Or don't. But if you do finally buy one be sure to post pics and report your impressions (about driving it and not how much it cost you or it's going to cost you. We all know that side of it.)

Or buy a Dodge Charger
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...78&postcount=1

Adios.

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
As for the Bimmerforum and the 135I thread; I did make that purchase! It was a $10-14K off a 135i Conv - but that car was for a female friend, not me.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 AM
boolala
Race Car

If you could afford the p-car you would just buy it. If it didn't work out for you just trade it in for another car. It's no big deal.

Really.

I conclude that you just can't really afford it and should not buy one. If you're obssessed about maintenance costs then you can't afford it either. If you can't shell out 100K then you can't afford it.

Sorry but it really is just as simple as that.

At this point the Dodge Charger sounds like a good alternative for you.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
If you could afford the p-car you would just buy it. If it didn't work out for you just trade it in for another car. It's no big deal.

Really.

I conclude that you just can't really afford it and should not buy one. If you're obssessed about maintenance costs then you can't afford it either. If you can't shell out 100K then you can't afford it.

+1
Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 169 Posts

I own both an Accord and a 1995 993 (which I bought used in 2001 with 60K miles for $46K). Over the course of my 9 years of Porsche ownership I've put about 20K in maintenance into the car (I have all the receipts since the car was purchased new in 1995 - and the grand total is about 27K in maintenance). Porsche are stupid expensive to maintain to top-standards. Period. That said, I do all my own work, unless the engine/transmission needs to come out of the car, or specialized tools are required.

Would I have it any other way? Nope. Can I afford it? Only because I do my own work, and I budget $200/mo into the Porsche maintenance fund (a separate bank account). Has worked well for me so far.

Let me suggest: a well maintained 993 should run you ~$400/mo in maintenance after the initial purchase price (if you don't work on it yourself). If you can afford that, you're good. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Over the same period my honda/toyota daily drivers have cost me ~$6K. Give or take. I don't work on those, not worth my time. All cars have costs.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps!

sean
Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Canyon56
And no questions about performance or driving dynamics. No interest in the tech side? Maybe you know these cars inside and out except for the maintenance costs(?)

Lots of get togethers are posted here. Have you attended any? Are you a PCA member? The LA chapter meets at the Spitfire Grill in Santa Monica. Cars and Coffee events, too. Plenty of opportunities.

Or buy a Dodge Charger
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...78&postcount=1

Adios.
As for the tech side I have old school knowledge having worked on and owned a few classic cars. '64 Impala / '69 Camaro / '67 Mustang etc. So when I read the car mags about the Porsche I usually understand all of the technical stats. Today I highly doubt I could repair a Porsche. I don't own the diagnostic equipment and I don't have any local help if things go wrong.

Never been to a get together - not a member of PCA - but I will try to attend.

As for the Charger (nothing gets past you) that was for my brother. I was working on getting a price for him. Actually, he bought one. So that post also lead to a car sale! Cars for him are a way to get from point A to point B. I often drive a Dodge as I travel and get rental cars. I used to enjoy the Magnum as a rental; but I would not buy one.

Last edited by SeanInLA; 08-01-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-2010, 01:20 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by boolala

Really.

LOL - How confident are you I can't afford one? (I'd wager that bet.) But, if you have the ability to buy a 110K car and decide you don't like it and just trade it away without care you are more fortunate or you have a different philosophy in spending money then me.

If you read the posts I never asked about financing - in fact I said I save up and buy my cars cash and that I don't finance. Also, you won't find me complaining about the maintenance costs - I just asked what to expect.

But you did make me think and you have an excellent point! The maintenance costs don't matter as much as I first thought!

Whatever they are I can afford them. I think this post was more about the fear of owning a car that was going to anger me because it's always requiring money. (Remember I am an Audi owner.) And nothing was worse then always having to spend money on the Audi to keep it running. It was exhausting, to the point of not enjoying the car because driving it always meant something was going to break

I don't want that to be my Porsche experience. (I think I found out what the post should have asked!) I asked the wrong question.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:23 AM
simrohor
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest professional help. I hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)