Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?

In the summer of 2007 I was thinking about what options to order on a 2008 C2S. Since I wanted a Tip many suggested waiting for DSG. Seems that PDK is finally here with an updated body style.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/363346-is-10-405-too-much-to-spend-on-options-many-noob-questions-inside.html

I will likely order a car with these limited options, some I am not sure of (?):
911 Carrera S
Cobalt Blue Metallic, Grey, or Silver (the cheapest color, I am not spending $4K on paint)
Leather Sport Seats
Black Sport Seats
Power Seats (?)
Self Dimming Mirrors (?)
PDK
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Floor Mats in Interior Color
Porsche Crest in Headrests
Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel (?)
BOSE High End Sound Package (not sure if this is worth the $ ?)

New questions:
1) Would you buy the first year PDK? (It's not proven yet, and I am sure it will have it's issues. Even Honda has issues with first year transmissions.)

2) As much as I like Cobalt Blue the two dealers I spoke with cringed when I mentioned that color. Seems it's a slow seller and tough to sell used?

3) Would anyone recommend buying a used 05-08 C2S w/Tip? This car will be a daily driver in SoCal traffic. I am not the type to put the car in the garage and baby it. I don't want to live my life driving a beater, if I spend 50-100K on a Porsche I should enjoy it, not baby it for the next owner.

4) Is there talk of a Hybrid Diesel 911? (I would like a 75 mpg 911. As long as it was somewhat quick, maybe 0-60 in 6 seconds.)
Old 07-19-2008, 04:02 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

1 in this case yes.
2. worst color on a P-car i've ever seen
3. never buy a tip, just commit suicide now or cut off an arm to justify having one.
4. porsche has said they will never go diesel, hybrid with gas Cayenne is comming in 2010 and will most likely make it into the panarama, never a 911 or boxster. Not until fossil fuel run out in 2250.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:06 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Color is an hilarious thing. Cobalt is one of my favorite colors and I shopped for a long time to find one with the equipment I wanted.

"Worst color...." I love that coming from a guy with a silver 996 in his avatar. Yeah, you're the bastion of good taste my man. There's hundred like you that drive by my building every morning while I'm doing 45 on the treadmill. They all have brilliant good taste, I'm sure - the crowd always does. IMHO, Silver was a show stopper on the voluptuous 3.2 80's Carreras, but the much more subtle curves of a 996/997 just get lost in silver or white.

Yep, I'm different and stand out from the crowd, that's why I drive a Porsche. But I'll get a silver/grey one so I don't stand out from the crowd too much. I want to show off my good taste, but only if it aligns with the taste of the majority.

Each to their own. Leader? Follower? Or just don't give a crap? Buying a Porsche with a sharp eye on the fine line resale difference between colors seems to make little sense. Does rarity or common-ness make something more valuable or easy to sell?

These things are a huge waste of money from a practical perspective to begin with, why try to counterbalance a nod toward common sense against a completely frivolous purchase? Have a diet coke with that 72 ounce steak and all the trimmings...

The car I bought sat on the dealer's lot for a couple of months, but they were asking a premium price precisely because it was cobalt. In the three - four months I was shopping I tracked 4 cobalt 997 C2S cabs (that's all there were for sale in North America, period) and they all sold at (or at least were asking) a premium to the hundreds of similarly equipped silver/grey/black/white cars.

But the dealer where I bought mine also mentioned that they were suprised at how long it took to sell the car I bought. Apparently it's very common for customers to walk in the door and say how much they love the cobalt (or the yellow, red, green) car sitting in the showroom - but end up buying silver/grey/black because they worry about resale. Most dealers will not even buy a car to put on the lot unless it's silver/grey/black with a black interior.

Up to you mate, do you want to pick a color that you think everyone else likes, or the color that you like. Personally, I don't think that resale worries are even on the table unless you pick something waaay out of the mainstream, like maybe a signal green. I doubt you can go wrong with anything on the Porsche color palate.

Hey 10 years ago the number one selling color for cars was white, now it's silver/grey. It will never, ever be cobalt. You decide.

Last edited by purrybonker; 07-19-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:11 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Oh, cobalt is off the table for '09 IIRC - so my rambling schpeel may all be for naught...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Come on - throw Carrara White a bone - it shows off the subtle curves of my 997 TT off to full effect. It is great color and from what I have been reading one of the most popular colors for the 997 based cars. :-)

Jeff
07 997TT, CW/BLK, PCCB, ***, SS, LSD, lots of carbon...
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cobalt looks great on the facelifted 997.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 AM
pred8or
Racer

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Cobalt looks great on the facelifted 997.

That aint CB , this is my ugly CB C4S, but that new color would be just fine too IMO!
Say no to PDK!
Say yes to color!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

did he say diesel 911? .............I'll be right back, gotta go wash my eyes out.....
Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 AM
chemo
1st Gear

Default CB is the best.

I am a just a humble lurker and have never had the honor of 911 ownership (yet) but CB is my favorite. Buy for you, not others.

chemo
Old 07-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

POO POO to arguments over colors. Colors are like chicks (or guys, for that matter). You cannot convince someone into a different visioaffective response. We like what we like.

But one thing I learned, whichever is your favorite color, is to make sure you see an actual car in that color in different lighting situations: at a minimum, under a blue sky in direct sunlight and under an overcast sky, but preferably also at dawn, at sunset, and at night. The hues of Porsche colors are amazing and I had quite a few colors on my short list that I liked based on photos, but that one by one got deleted because I did not like their change of color under certain conditions. For example, look at my current avatar: does that look like basalt black to you?

As far as PDK is concerned, I'd buy anything first-generation from Porsche. Or most other carmakers, for that matter. Even when there are problems, you've got to realize that you only hear the negative voices, which does not necessarily mean they are in the majority. People just fuzz a lot.

On a side note: Welcome to Chemo from the previous post! I also started posting before I had my first Porsche, so type away!
Old 07-19-2008, 01:48 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by jaf996cab
Come on - throw Carrara White a bone - it shows off the subtle curves of my 997 TT off to full effect. It is great color and from what I have been reading one of the most popular colors for the 997 based cars. :-)

Jeff
07 997TT, CW/BLK, PCCB, ***, SS, LSD, lots of carbon...

TT's are much more dramatic than Carreras. Any color works on a TT, really. TT's have so much going on visually that they can pull off anything from elegant to outlandish with finishing colors. Almost the same with GT2/3's - but these work better in bright primaries IMHO.

But take a Carrera GT - does it really matter what color it is?

Naw.

But a Smart car or a Mini?

Color is everything.

997 Carreras are somewhere in-between.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 PM
lgascoig
Racer

As for your questions:

Cobalt Blue is not available, there is a new blue Aqua Blue. The name scared me away from it and instead I ordered Guards Red.

Yes, I would get the PDK. I ordered mine with PDK, however I would have never gotten Tip, I got PDK for the performance advantages and launch control only.

I did not get premium sound. I got:

Heated seats
Auto dimming mirrors
Interior matching mats
Universal audio interface
Sport chrono
Sports seats
PDK

Pretty basic and boring, but whatever I can mod it later. I'm considering getting some HREs or Champions for it in black at some point in time.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Cobalt blue is available,--just priced higher now with the Paint To Sample.

PDK should be sorted out by now,--they have been lurking around the autobahns with it for a few years already.

Avoid silver 911s. It's been reported elsewhere that Porsche puts the weakest dynoed engines into the silver cars,--knowing that the owners won't know any difference!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Sadiq
Pro

How high up is color on you guys' priority list when buying a 997? My list was something like this:

1) manual
2) good deal
3) S
4) nav
5) floormats
6) not red or yellow (because I already have a bright red M3)
Old 07-19-2008, 10:55 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Cobalt blue is available,--just priced higher now with the Paint To Sample.

PDK should be sorted out by now,--they have been lurking around the autobahns with it for a few years already.

Avoid silver 911s. It's been reported elsewhere that Porsche puts the weakest dynoed engines into the silver cars,--knowing that the owners won't know any difference!
badda bing...

Quick Reply: Rennlist told me to wait for PDK! Would you buy a 1st year PDK?