Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 04:42 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by At Law
You are an evil man who is full of drama.
One M_I_L_L_I_O_N dollars!
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2010 | 10:58 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by stevepow
I don't think that is the Honda the OP was referring to. Not sure how it applies. Now if you have owned both the Accord and 911, then you've got a tale that may be interesting. Or do you mean the Accord and NSX are similar vehicles with regards to comparisons to a 911? Probably not.
Gj325 made a comment that his bicycle is more thrilling than any Honda. That got me remembering my beloved 03 NSX. That's all. But you're right about the OP.

By the way, my old S2000 was quite thrilling. My old Accord was good for what it was meant to be good for. But I would rank the S2K and the NSX right up there with the four Porsche's I've owned as great cars. I have to say though, Honda caught lightining in a bottle with the NSX.
Old 07-21-2010 | 11:38 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
Gj325 made a comment that his bicycle is more thrilling than any Honda. That got me remembering my beloved 03 NSX. That's all. But you're right about the OP.

By the way, my old S2000 was quite thrilling. My old Accord was good for what it was meant to be good for. But I would rank the S2K and the NSX right up there with the four Porsche's I've owned as great cars. I have to say though, Honda caught lightining in a bottle with the NSX.
Ok not any Honda but more thrilling than any I own. They are great cars my next DD will be another Honda Ridgeline. I have never in my life said man I want to go take the Honda for a drive. But oh boy that feeling comes around pretty much daily with my Porsche

Honda has it place in life daily driving No reason to think or Porsche or Honda in same thoughts.

Now that I think of it I have never want to just take the Honda out for a quick spin but the bike. That's another story so I will stick with bike is more thrilling than Honda of nowadays
Old 07-22-2010 | 01:47 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt

Love my s2000 and I have driven many an NSX. Both are absolutely great cars. The 911 is different fun. Both have their place.
-Lee
Old 07-22-2010 | 10:52 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gj325
Ok not any Honda but more thrilling than any I own. They are great cars my next DD will be another Honda Ridgeline. I have never in my life said man I want to go take the Honda for a drive. But oh boy that feeling comes around pretty much daily with my Porsche

Honda has it place in life daily driving No reason to think or Porsche or Honda in same thoughts.

Now that I think of it I have never want to just take the Honda out for a quick spin but the bike. That's another story so I will stick with bike is more thrilling than Honda of nowadays
In other words, you've never owned a honda sportscar.

Just because you haven't driven a decent exciting honda, doesn't mean they don't exist.

The S2000 and NSX are GREAT cars.
Old 07-22-2010 | 10:58 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The S2000 and NSX are GREAT cars.
I've not had the chance to drive a NSX but I have driven a S2000 quite a bit and it's great fun. I find it much less refined than the 997, a lot more go-kart. Whenever I get behind the wheel and get the revs up high, it brings out the hooligan in me.
Old 07-22-2010 | 02:18 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I've not had the chance to drive a NSX but I have driven a S2000 quite a bit and it's great fun. I find it much less refined than the 997, a lot more go-kart. Whenever I get behind the wheel and get the revs up high, it brings out the hooligan in me.
With the S2000 you must drive like an escaped mental patient.
Old 07-22-2010 | 04:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kuhan
The s2k is a torqueless wonder below 6k, and a whole lot of fun above that.
Old 07-22-2010 | 04:26 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Honda S2000 + Ducati sport exhaust would be awesome.
Anything less...nah.
Old 07-25-2010 | 05:58 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by VGM911
Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

What a silly question! Thanks, OP, for bringing a smile to my face.
Agree. Everything and I do mean everything costs considerably more to maintain/own on a Porsche vs. a Honda, whether it's tires (you use more and they cost lots more on the Porsche than the Honda), oil (again more--4-5 quarts per oil change Honda vs. 9.5 quarts Porsche), gas (regular vs. premium unleaded), insurance (although in some respects an Accord isn't much cheaper than a Porsche--I had an 09 Honda Fit that maybe cost $200 less per year to insure), parts for anything and dealer labor, ect...

But one (an Accord) is an appliance and the other is a passion (the Porsche), and what price can you put on passion?

I tell folks who "toy" with the idea of buying used Boxsters which look inexpensive to buy, that they won't be cheap to fix when stuff wears out or breaks. Normal maintenance costs more, too, but you can save money by doing it yourself, and you likely will want to consider carefully who you use for service work as the average joe at Jiffy Lube can screw up a Porsche in ways that scare me.

If ownership costs concern you, then a Porsche may not be for you but neither would be any number of other cars I can think of.

Some things cost more to own and keep and are worth every penny. My Porsches fit in that category. And Porsches are addictive. As long as the money isn't an issue, I have to own one as I've not found anything on wheels that offers what a Porsche does without costing even more to buy and own.

Edit: Rather than post another response, I think Carrera's make excellent daily drivers provided you have good parking available at work and home. My first Porsche and a couple since have been daily drivers for a time.

Of course, it helped I was single at the time and no dog. Among the reasons my daily driver is a Jetti Sportswagen TDI, is to have something to haul my Labrador Retriever around in.

Last edited by Paul S.; 07-25-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2010 | 06:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul S.
If ownership costs concern you, then a Porsche may not be for you but neither would be any number of other cars I can think of.
Somebody said it best, "If you want to play you have to pay."

Kind of related: I have an acquaintance who bought a used big-engined mid-sized BMW. It was used so that's why it was within-reach-affordable to him. A few times since his purchace he has complained and whined like a little baby about the maintenance and repair costs! I felt like saying to him, "That's why only rich guys have BMWs (you idiot)." In my imagination I'm acting like a jerk rubbing it in his face by my exact choice of words of course
Old 07-25-2010 | 06:33 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Originally Posted by boolala
You should spend no more (on average) than 4 months income on a car.
If that were the case, then rough numbers every Porsche owner would have an annual salary of $300,000 and above and I assure you that's not the case. Porsche would have ceased to exist a long time ago, if that was the case.

By the way, if the average household income is $50,000, you can count on one hand the number of new cars with prices below $17,000.

But I'm happy you make enough to own a 911 and having spent no more than 4 months income to do it.

What a fun thread this one is to read, and it brings to mind the old Porsche joke about the owner and a Porcupine
Old 07-25-2010 | 06:43 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

*yawn* This type of thread pops up several times per year, and has since the beginning of Rennlist (Porschephile's anyone???) But it is true - I am enjoying it!

Yes, Honda builds sportscars that are great. Nissan does as well (GTR anyone)? But this is a Porsche forum, and I prefer to talk about Porsches and their benefits/weaknesses on a daily basis. So yes - I am biased....

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

-B
Old 07-25-2010 | 09:52 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Decided to see why this thread has legs. An amusing read.

I did the numbers on my 09 C4S before purchase and they weren't pretty but they were the best numbers on a new 911 I'd seen before and now since. 20% off MSRP sure helped last September.

Did it make sense financially? Well it made the most sense it is ever probably going to make. Not regretting if for a minute.
Old 07-26-2010 | 03:24 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paul S.
If that were the case, then rough numbers every Porsche owner would have an annual salary of $300,000 and above and I assure you that's not the case. Porsche would have ceased to exist a long time ago, if that was the case.

By the way, if the average household income is $50,000, you can count on one hand the number of new cars with prices below $17,000.

But I'm happy you make enough to own a 911 and having spent no more than 4 months income to do it.

What a fun thread this one is to read, and it brings to mind the old Porsche joke about the owner and a Porcupine
You're right most people who buy a Porsche do not make 300 K a year.

I would venture to guess that most people on this forum
have no business (from a financial perspective) even buying one (as a new vehicle).

Many people who bought million dollar homes do not make 300 K a year either and now we see where that **** has gotten us.

All you've shown is that people live beyond their means.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)