Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is $10,405 too much to spend on options? (Many noob questions inside.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 04:02 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Default Is $10,405 too much to spend on options? (Many noob questions inside.)

Hi I am new here and after many searches this is my 1st post! Things change over the years so I want to see what the current views are on these options for special order. This car is a lot of money for me so I want to order it right and keep it 10 years!

Here is the car I was thinking about ordering (2007/2008):
911 Carrera S..................................... $82,600
Cobalt Blue Metallic...................... 56 .... $ ..690
Black Sport Seats......................... AP .... $ ..360
Self Dimming Mirrors...................... 267 ... $ ..385
Tiptronic S............................... 249 ... $ 3,420
19" Carrera Classic Wheel................. 405 ... $ ..390
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest............. 446 ... $ ..185
Leather Sport Seats....................... P77 ... $ ..400
Floor Mats in Interior Color.............. 810 ... $ ..140
Three-Spoke Multi-function Steering Wheel. 431 ... $ ..740
Door Finishers in Leather................. XTV ... $ ..360
Porsche Crest in Headrests................ XSC ... $ ..270
Rear Center Console in Leather............ XMZ ... $ 1,260
Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel...... X70 ... $ ..415
BOSE High End Sound Package............... 680 ... $ 1,390
==========================================================
Total Price....................................... $93,005

($10,405 in options)

1) I like the Cobalt Blue in person, how does it look and wear long term? Does it fade like the red or cloud like black?

2) I avoided navigation b/c in 10 years it will make the car look dated with an old Navi system, if it still works. Plus Nuvi is fine for ~$500.

3) Are any of the options above overpriced? Like the Rear Center Console in Leather, everyone seems to like that option but is it worth $1,260?

4) Is it ok NOT to have power seats? (I did get the Sport Seats.)

5) Are the sport seats comfortable?

6) Is the Multi-function wheel fully functional without Navigation?

7) Yes, it's a Tiptronic, but I live in SoCal where I spend 90% of my time in horrific traffic. I would rather have some type of DSG like on the Audi, but I hear good things about the Tip. Will the Tip car still feel fast?

8) Is the S model worth the extra money?

9) Did I miss any important options? (minus the $2400 PSE exhaust? didn't seem worth it on an automatic)

Last edited by SeanInLA; 07-06-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2007 | 05:40 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

<Are any of the options above overpriced? Like the Rear Center Console in Leather, everyone seems to like that option but is it worth $1,260? >

this and the leather finishers are usually the icing on the full leather option cake
without the leather option they will be out of place
Old 07-06-2007 | 07:24 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

I agree 100% with the above poster about the leather options - skip those unless you do full leather.

In fact, keep them but swap the Chicktronic for full leather. Otherwise, it looks good. I read somewhere that most 911s have $10-15K in options, so you should be about right. My car had $14K in options...

Drive a Carrera and a Carrera S and decide for yourself whether the S is worth it or not.
Old 07-06-2007 | 09:31 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

I remember the feeling well. I'd sit with the Porsche book and go over each of the options possibilities. And after a while the prices , which are all inflated, start to seem reasonable. It's a hypnotic state most likely brought on by the subliminal messages in the book and website.

My 2 cents worth:

I would have gone for the S if I were buying the coupe. I decided instead on the cabriolet, thus the extra $9K or so was spent on having the convertible. I didn't spring for yet another $9K or so to get the S badge as well. I don't track the car and my bursts passed 100mph are limited to brief stretches of empty straightaways on Maryland country roads or a quick jaunt on an empty interstate at 6AM on a Sunday. So did I need more power than the base provided? For me, probably not.

I declined the multi-function wheel because w/o nav, it seemed all I was gaining was a slightly more ergonomically proper way to adjust the radio/CD player. And sans Nav, it had too many unused buttons.

I put the crests in the seats, but didn't bother with leather for the finishers or console. Just didn't seem worth the price when leather didn't abound the dash anyway. $1260 seems outlandishly high to cover 24 square inches or so of console cover. That's about $52 per square inch. Being an accountant makes all option buying less fun, I'm afraid.

I did add power (and heated -- for winters here) seats and I'm glad I did on that one. I do like the myriad adjustments (lumbar, height, etc.) and find that I do experiment with different driving positions once in a while. Also seems like power here goes naturally with a car approaching the $100K range.

I also got the CD changer which will likely become obsolete as better Ipod interfaces are brought to play.

There is traffic here too in the DC area, but I still love the six speed. When you are moving, it is just a different feeling to driving that is fun. Perhaps not as practical, but sometimes fun wins out.

Good luck and remember there really are no wrong answers here.

Kevin
Old 07-06-2007 | 09:38 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Sean: Instead of forking out $90+ today ...why not get an 05 for a ton less and then trade up when they offer the DSG ...which has got to be very soon if any exec there has half a clue. Say: "VW GOLF"?!
Old 07-06-2007 | 09:42 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

It's equipped nicely, but I would add power seats.
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Wink

If you are doing door finishers in leather you need to get the full leather option or they will look totally out of place.

Personally I do not like the multi funtion steering wheel especially with the Tiptronic because there are too many buttons to hit with your thumb on the wheel when you go to use the manual Tiptronic shifting function on the wheel.

Don't let the self proclaimed manly men professional race car driver wanna be's on this forum talk you out of the Tiptronic. On the track with the Tip you will be faster than any of them on here. I have a Tip due to my handicap ( no left leg to push a clutch) I have learned a lot about it on the track.

Unless you love the stock wheels, most call them lobster forks, you might want to look at the optional wheels or better looking and lighter weight after market wheels.

Are you going for a luxury or sporty Porsche?
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:24 AM
1Carnut
Pro

it sounds like you a planning to keep this car for awhile ( your mention of the Nav looking dated 10 years from now), and if that is true than I would not worry about buying options if those options are going to add to your enjoyment of the car.
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:35 AM
boolala
Race Car

The tip always gets mixed reviews here. There are those, like me, who love it. There are those who have an inflated sense of their driving abilities and think that they can actually shift faster with a manual (that's a hoot). And there are the whinners with a tip who don't understand how to drive it and thus hate it.
Old 07-06-2007 | 10:40 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Frankly I would buy a beater for the commute and a used C2 Cab for fun. Unless you have a physical impairment that prevents you from using a stick shift, you're best running a country mile from the ****-tronic.

When Porsche eventually introduce PDK/DSG then revisit the whole thing. But by then your C2 will have depreciated at a much slower rate than a new one and you will know (because you will experiment) whether a beater is a better option for commuting or whether the Porsche makes the difference between a dull commute and a pleasurable one.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:14 AM
carlo$
Instructor

i dont own a porsche but i would pass on the tip, the Bose and the leather cent cons, floor mats, steering wheel, door entry guards.

definately get power seats.
i would only buy tip if I drove in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic like you, but that would take a lot of fun away from the P.

3420+1390+1260+140+740+415=7365.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:24 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

When you are buying your dream car dont skimp on the options.I am enjoying all of the additions i made to my car.2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet 997 320 Price
BASE Porsche Base Model 91,400.00
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample 4,315.00
V5 Brown Top 0.00
TG Sand Beige Full Leather 3,365.00
P15 Power Seat Package 1,550.00
680 Bose High End Sound Package 1,390.00
342 Heated Front Seats 480.00
982 Supple Leather Front and Rear 395.00
M6C Cocoa Floor Mats 115.00
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest 270.00
498 Delete Model Designation 0.00
267 Self Dimming Mirrors 385.00
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn 1,110.00
801 Makassar Package 890.00
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar 1,625.00
XTT Door Finishers Makassar, Dark 2,700.00
XNG Instrument Surround in Leather 260.00
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror 560.00
XTG Inner Sill Parts/Release-Lthr 585.00
2493 Exterior Color to Sample 0.00
789 997 Paint To Sample 0.00
670 Navigation for PCM 2,070.00
X54 Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes 360.00
CDT Seat Belt Buckles Leather 760.00
CFS Belt Outlet B Pillar Makassar 490.00
CUL Windstop W/"Porsche"Lettering 180.00
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo 290.00
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather 430.00
DAA Interior Pkg A Pillar Leather 740.00
EAB Makassar Package Switch Panel 2,700.00
-------------------------
Total with Options $ 119,415.00
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:31 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
911 Carrera S..................................... $82,600
Cobalt Blue Metallic...................... 56 .... $ ..690
Black Sport Seats......................... AP .... $ ..360
19" Carrera Classic Wheel................. 405 ... $ ..390
Three-Spoke Multi-function Steering Wheel. 431 ... $ ..740
Door Finishers in Leather................. XTV ... $ ..360
Rear Center Console in Leather............ XMZ ... $ 1,260
Door Entry Guards in Stainless Steel...... X70 ... $ ..415
[/COLOR][/FONT]
In order:

Color is entirely personal. As an aesthetic choice comments are opinion only, but an awful lot of fun to hear. As for durability, any "strong" color (ie NOT white, or arctic) would be at risk for changing over time, but I'd think with appropriate care do well....

Seat preferences require you sit in them to test them for yourself. The non-power seats lack the following adjustments: They don't have lumbar support; and the seat bottom has no "tilt" function, it "swings" up and down, but at any given height the tilt is fixed. Neither of these adjustments may add to your comfort, but you'd be well served to check them to evaluate their importance. The sport seat also seemed narrower accross the shoulder to me.

I've decided on the turbo wheel for one reason: it's forged, so more durable. No guarantee it won't sustain damage, but it should be more resistant than the rest which are cast. You can get the stock wheels and trade them for aftermarket wheels at several shops (wheel enhancement). While costly, you'll have more options as far as appearance/cast vs. forged.

The multi f wheel lacks those sculptings above the cross support, and I've read it's a little thinner. Again, like the seats, check it out to see if this matters to you.

Leather: I'd go full leather rather than the center console/door finishers if cost is an issue as it covers much more of the interior for the extra money. If going full leather, these seem nice additions if the $$ aren't prohibitive to you. I'm going to go console in exterior color on a GT silver/cocoa car to add contrast/color to the interior, with the bonus it's cheaper ($730).

I am also adding the door finishers and stainless entry guards thanks to opinions I've read here . Adding the 1% to the cost for these seems worth what you get to me.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:42 AM
4thporsche
Racer

I agree with the post above that says ditch the tip for full leather. I live in LA, work in downtown and I can deal with the manual no problem at all. Having a tip could hurt on re-sale but who knows in 10 years when you part with the car.
Old 07-06-2007 | 11:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I agree with Gary that the color will date your car faster than what navigational system is embedded within it. I have to say that it works really well for me,--worked better in Europe,--but still good for the States if used for commuting. You will learn some new roads. Also, with navigational the multifunciton st. wheel is very useful.

Concur on the observations on the leather pieces. I think not having the full leather interior is an issue and a piece here and there of leather makes no sense,--no one including yourself will know. I would skip them.

The ability to adjust seats with power is nice but probably more necessary if you use the car for long hauls. Order the seat heaters.

Try getting the most expensive wheels for the car (Carrera Sports XRR) as you get them for peanuts when ordering and you can trade them to something different if you want. They are worth a lot on the resale market. More than the Classics. Personally, I like them as they are the widest wheels available to date for a 911--wider than the turbo!

I spent a bunch on options. Don't think that $10K is a lot when you can easily nearly douple the cost of the car with them. These are truly a la carte vehicles! (I think my option list amounted to about $40K).

My suggestion is to continue to monitor this site and learn from the experience of the others herein. Sure, you will wind up going over budget on some things, but it is better to get them upfront than later when you wind up paying some dealer's guy to install things.

My options (unpriced for OBVIOUS reasons!)

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)(Türkis-Blau)
06 Natural Leather Brown
V9 Black Top
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery

Quick Reply: Is $10,405 too much to spend on options? (Many noob questions inside.)