Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I've never seen the price of a 550i come close to the price of a
base Carrera.
My window sticker on my 2006 Carrera was approximately $86,000.00
(with PASM, PSE, 19"s, etc.).
You can find 550i's with window's at $60,000-$65,000 all day long.

The window sticker for an M5 is closer to that of a well-optioned base Carrera.
My last 550i in '07 sticker-ed out at $87K - close to my 911 - and with the fire sale last year, the 911 cost less than the BMW. Don't know what comparable 911s were going for in '07. I do know you can easily knock on the $90K door with a fully optioned 550i now - F10s have a lot more available "gadgets" than the e60s did.

A 550i with a 60-65K sticker is not going to have comparable options to my 911 - not close. Been there, done that. Although the 550i has WAY more storage and a spare tire and the cost of the car has the 4 year maintenance included (not to be confused with free ).

Pointless discussion though - I mean, what's the point? You can go up to the BMW config site and find out more than you probably care to know or do know about pricing a BMW with options - as could you with a Honda or nearly any other car. And I don't think the OP is really looking at a new 550i or any BMW for that matter.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Where are you now? K-Town? Weho? Los Feliz? Silverlake? Over the hills in Toluca?
btw, what makes you think I live on the westside? I never mentioned where I lived

Anyway, no reason to tell me about LA, I've produced exhibits and have published several articles on LA and LA County. I'm intimately familiar with almost every neighborhood, including ones most people don't even know exist. Hollywood proper has undergone commercial development (think tourist $$) but in housing demographics it's still a different story.

However, it was you who was concerned about having an expensive car and the issues of parking. An appropriate answer is that Hollywood isn't the best place to have a Porsche, imho (plus the roads are in horrifically bad shape now.) If anything you're going to be frustrated driving it and will be heading way up north, going west and up the PCH into the SM Mtns, or much farther east just to give the car needed exercise. If you can't really drive it, then why get one?

But now you say you don't live there anymore so it's all moot.

If you grew up around Porsches, then you know what you're getting into. You've driven them and understand their unique driving dynamics (btw, there are a lot of C4S models in SoCal. It's not simply about driving in the wet.) Therefore you have your answers plus you know inside what the game is, so just go out and get one. It's pretty simple.

Yeah, I think it's getting a bit goofy. The OP knows himself what the score is, he's not a dummy. He can answer the majority of the questions himself.

fwiw, I have a friend who is really smart and successful in his field but he asks the most basic questions all the time. It gets kind of aggravating. It's as though he doesn't trust himself or maybe he just wants to be reassured. But it's human nature to sometimes ask out loud and hope to get reassurance. I've asked questions I knew I could really best answer myself.

It's time for the OP to buy or just forget it. And I hate to see somebody over analyze something to death because then when the decision's made, and if it doesn't go 100% as planned, it will only end up as a bigger disappointment.
Currently in S.Pas due to work. But lately I have had to travel for work due to the slowdown LA economy. Best roads close by are Angeles Crest Highway, it's not fast but it has a lot of turns. The 110 from Pas to Downtown is ok. What area are you in?

I would be curious to hear where the nice places in LA are to buy a home with a 3 car garage. I was looking at a few areas North of the 210, but I prefer the west side.

I hate to over analyze too, but sometimes I get caught in that. But that was not the original intent of the post. I was looking for the big expenses that I may have overlooked. But after I said thanks - the thread just kept growing.

But it did give me many follow up questions to research. What is the probability that I will need a engine rebuild before 150,000 miles? Are there any common repairs that cost over $5000? (No, just tires around 2K per set.) How much are a set of brakes per axle? (I am thinking 500-600.)

What I did find is that a 911 is not the best daily driver. Which takes me out of the market at this time, as I need to find a secure spot close by home for it where I can swap cars. I had planned to drive this car everywhere, as I am, not the guy to put it in a garage and wax it 24/7. I would rather wear out the parts then to watch them rust away.

However, as you and others mentioned, where I drive the car will get very beat up. (710 truck highway, LAX, Costco, etc.) And I would need to leave it at the airport for many weeks during the year and people may damage it.

One other issue I just considered is that in my line of work where I charge an hourly contract rate, I don't want to be the guy who shows up in a Porsche. That creates a lot of animosity with full time employees in the work place. So in a nutshell, seems I have to wait. This post likely saved me from buying too soon.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2 things to say. Both trite, both very, very true.

1.) If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

2.) You can't take it with you.

You make your own conclusions from these 2 statements.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by socalsteve
2 things to say. Both trite, both very, very true.

1.) If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

2.) You can't take it with you.

You make your own conclusions from these 2 statements.
1) If I don't ask questions I can afford anything! (Hey, that sounds a lot like banks in 2004!)

2) A Porsche has no soul thus it won't be admitted to heaven; or maybe it's soul belongs to the devil.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
pt767
Instructor

I like how the popup ad is a Honda ad "Trust the dependability of a Honda" on a Porsche forum site.....pretty intuitive.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow a peeing match thread. That's new
I don't blame someone for asking about cost I researched cost for months on Ferrari and Porsche. Came to the table with lots of info Ferrari maint. Was higher than Porsche no dealer within 400 miles I could afford Ferrari but decided to wisely spend my money on a Porsche. As for Op do your research if you want and can afford a whatever car buy it enjoy but you have to decide if car is for you.

Then go drive and enjoy the thrill. You can bet I will be spending my kids inheritance on something cars trips fine dining. Oh yes I drive. Honda Ridgeline as DD daughter has Civic fine cars but my bicycle has more thrill than any Honda it will get you from point A to B but it's no Porsche
Old 07-21-2010, 12:47 AM
Handoogies
Banned

@SeaninLA I paid 270K for my 997.2S in Shanghai, I doubt anyone on this forum paid that much for their porsche. I still cringe everytime I have to shell out 2 grand for tires (I track frequently). My car club in Shanghai all paid over quarter million for their p-car, and you know what? we all fuss over maintenance charges /insurance because we all own other cars and can do simple comparison costs, and more importantly our calculating nature is what has amassed our money to buy such a expensive toy in the first place. When I buy an apartment, I rarely think twice, its a safe investment in asia. But dropping quarter mil on a car, you can bet I'll look into the future costs. People who describe buying a porsche as a rabid impulse fueled by blind passion either have too much money (in which case why not drive a veyron?) or are just ******** in life. My 2RMB.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:27 AM
SeanInLA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Handoogies
@SeaninLA I paid 270K for my 997.2S in Shanghai, I doubt anyone on this forum paid that much for their porsche. I still cringe everytime I have to shell out 2 grand for tires (I track frequently). My car club in Shanghai all paid over quarter million for their p-car, and you know what? we all fuss over maintenance charges /insurance because we all own other cars and can do simple comparison costs, and more importantly our calculating nature is what has amassed our money to buy such a expensive toy in the first place. When I buy an apartment, I rarely think twice, its a safe investment in asia. But dropping quarter mil on a car, you can bet I'll look into the future costs. People who describe buying a porsche as a rabid impulse fueled by blind passion either have too much money (in which case why not drive a veyron?) or are just ******** in life. My 2RMB.
Thanks, I feel a little better about my calculating nature. It a great point you make about calculating depreciation assets more than appreciation assets.

Why does a 911 cost so much in Shanghai? (It has to be taxes.) Maybe in time China will build a copy that is 99% as good as a Porsche and 25% of the cost. And the dealer network is already in place; Wal-Mart.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Currently in S.Pas due to work. But lately I have had to travel for work due to the slowdown LA economy. Best roads close by are Angeles Crest Highway, it's not fast but it has a lot of turns. The 110 from Pas to Downtown is ok. What area are you in?

I would be curious to hear where the nice places in LA are to buy a home with a 3 car garage. I was looking at a few areas North of the 210, but I prefer the west side.
Well, SouthPas is way different than Hollywood. Realizing now that you don't actually live in Hollywood, I wouldn't have said what I did. And it's not near Hollywood, it's across downtown and on the other side of the river.

SouthPas is a nice place (esp around Mission); friendly, small town-like, great farmer's market, and plenty of houses (with garages!) In fact apartments/condos are somewhat rare there and they don't even allow parking overnight on the streets. There are lots of great neighborhoods in Pasadena, Altadena, and San Marino. A much better environment for Porsche ownership. The only downside is that it's hotter than hell in the summer and the pollution coming from the west gets socked into the San Gabriel Valley. Plus during commuting times the 110 is a nightmare. So is the 134 and the 2. But you do have the Metro Gold Line into downtown LA.

LA is primarily about a house with a yard. Apartments are actually in the minority. LA was developed on the idea of a house and a plot of ground. It was settled and developed primarily by Midwesterners (in fact Pasadena was founded by a group from Indiana.) The California bungalow was the popular type of dwelling. The Altadena side of Pasadena has a great neighborhood of historic bungalows (with garages!) That's why LA is such a horizontal city. LA County is huge geographically because it's primarily made up of houses with yards (and garages!) And sure, the early Spanish style bungalow didn't have huge garages (LA had great public transit back then) but they had garages and usually a decent driveway (and plenty of garden space.)

Other places are Eagle Rock (popular now with the urban hipsters), Flintridge-La Canada, and Montrose (very midwestern-like.) Glendale is full of nice neighborhoods and houses, too (esp if you like Armenian culture; way more Armenians there than in Hollywood.) Going east you have places like Sierra Madre, Arcadia, and Monrovia. All houses (and garages!) with few apartments/condos.

On the westside is Cheviot Hills, Rancho Park, Culver City, Westwood, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Pacific Palisades. More expensive (although Culver City is still a good bargain) and the westside is dense in respect to traffic, but nice homes (with garages!) and easy access to the PCH and the mountains.

Originally Posted by SeanInLA
Which takes me out of the market at this time, as I need to find a secure spot close by home for it where I can swap cars.

One other issue I just considered is that in my line of work where I charge an hourly contract rate, I don't want to be the guy who shows up in a Porsche. That creates a lot of animosity with full time employees in the work place. So in a nutshell, seems I have to wait. This post likely saved me from buying too soon.
Think of finding a home first and Porsche later, imho.

btw, in LA a Porsche isn't exactly a rarity. And anyway who cares what they think. It's your life.

Where do I live? This year was all about leaving LA and moving up to the southern Central Coast. I've lived all over LA County but air quality and less density were the primary motivators this time around. Plus it's a better place for a Porsche.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:07 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
..Civic fine cars but my bicycle has more thrill than any Honda it will get you from point A to B but it's no Porsche
The grand irony on this thread for me is I'd take my 03 NSX over a 997S and it's a Honda.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
The grand irony on this thread for me is I'd take my 03 NSX over a 997S and it's a Honda.
You obviously have a right to your opinion, however, I believe you
are in the minority on this one.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
you will die never knowing the sheer pleasure of owning one.
Don't forget the terror of owning one. Comes with every glance in the rearview mirror when the speed limit is a problem. Comes with the approach of the deadline for the mfgrs warranty. The all-consuming terror of having to park in a tight space between two cars can't even be imagined without sweating and fear. Oh, some nights, when you are weak with fatigue and life itself seems like a menace: the thought of a deeply scratched leather dash can bring about coma and death. Beyond mention in the Terror File Of Ownership this: going 160+ on the "autobahn" when a deer comes into view.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Don't forget the terror of owning one. Comes with every glance in the rearview mirror when the speed limit is a problem. Comes with the approach of the deadline for the mfgrs warranty. The all-consuming terror of having to park in a tight space between two cars can't even be imagined without sweating and fear. Oh, some nights, when you are weak with fatigue and life itself seems like a menace: the thought of a deeply scratched leather dash can bring about coma and death. Beyond mention in the Terror File Of Ownership this: going 160+ on the "autobahn" when a deer comes into view.
You are an evil man who is full of drama.

Also, remember the TERROR of having your wallet in your pocket leave an imprint on your leather driver's seat.

I believe my father was right when he said:
"You don't own things.... Things own you."
Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
You obviously have a right to your opinion, however, I believe you
are in the minority on this one.
You're right. Most here have never owned both. I have.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt
I don't think that is the Honda the OP was referring to. Not sure how it applies. Now if you have owned both the Accord and 911, then you've got a tale that may be interesting. Or do you mean the Accord and NSX are similar vehicles with regards to comparisons to a 911? Probably not.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997 C2S vs. Honda Accord cost of ownership? (Financial and Mental)