Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't you like about your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010 | 02:07 AM
cbzzoom

Main complaint is the weight. And that I can't get real "driver's" model - cloth seats, no PCM, no rear seats, simple simple lightweight, pure car. Give me that Porsche!

What's good? The engine, the steering, the brakes, the chassis, everything that really matters.

What's bad? EVERYTHING else. The key, the AC, the stereo, the cheapo plastic interior, the seats, the grease on the windows, PCM, etc.

I also don't like that I have to worry about where I park it, and can't just park anywhere on the street and not worry about it.
Old 06-17-2010 | 04:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Main complaint is the weight.
No joke. I drove my wife's 3.0 Z4 the other day and as hard as it is to say it, I wish my car felt as light footed. From the day I bought it, that has been my main gripe. It just feels heavy and a bit sluggish for all the HP that's there.

the grease on the windows
What? Somebody else has impossible to remove substance on the windshield? I've tried everything from regular windex to rubbing alcohol and undiluted windshield washer fluid and still have streaks all over the front and rear windows. Sides are ok or maybe not but at least it's not in my face all the time. What is it? Not one puff of cigarette smoke has ever seen the inside of my car btw.
Old 06-17-2010 | 04:53 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _Nathan
.... I also am careful to not drive with my wallet in my back pocket as that left a permanent dent in the drivers seat of my previous car.
You didn't order enough options to thin your wallet!
Old 06-17-2010 | 04:54 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
--No auto door lock
It's there, just program your PCM!
Old 06-17-2010 | 04:55 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
no hood ornament
Can't disagree here! But I guess you're supposed to bring your own!
Old 06-17-2010 | 05:01 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fjpdds
$100K plus car and I have to travel with a quart of oil. It's a bit embarrassing when, say you are at a resort and passersby see you adding oil to your "fancy car". I have never owned a new vehicle that required that.
Get one of these and you'll be proud!
https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/me..._Code=00010019
Old 06-17-2010 | 05:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
Put your left hand on the bolster first and then back your rear into the seat. You should lower your butt into the seat in such a way as to not touch and slide across the back of your left hand with your pants pocket. Sounds awkward but it isn't and it does prevent that sort of wear. Try it.
I have the move down to a science - one swift move of the *** to the ***, no sliding. Just takes practice!
Old 06-17-2010 | 08:23 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caddyshed
The all too common squeak/rattle of the instrument pod. This should be an easy fix at the factory.
Stunned this still afflicts these cars. My 2005 Cpe and 2005 Cab had it, but that was so long ago. And there's a TSB on how to fix it.

YoungTurk
Old 06-17-2010 | 12:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I have the move down to a science - one swift move of the *** to the ***, no sliding. Just takes practice!
LOL.

Yup, me too. Gotta start somewhere so use of left hand as an *** "sensor" is good way to train yourself.

It's amazing lots of guys don't figure this out: c'mon fellas!
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010 | 02:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LlBr
Put your left hand on the bolster first and then back your rear into the seat. You should lower your butt into the seat in such a way as to not touch and slide across the back of your left hand with your pants pocket. Sounds awkward but it isn't and it does prevent that sort of wear. Try it.
Variation on your theme: I put my right foot in first while grabbing the wheel with my right hand for balance and reaching down with my left hand for the door sill. I then hoist my butt into the seat. Exiting is reverse: left hand on sill, hoist, and step out. Never touch the outside bolster, which is even more important with the sport buckets in my car.
Old 06-17-2010 | 02:57 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Variation on your theme: I put my right foot in first while grabbing the wheel with my right hand for balance and reaching down with my left hand for the door sill. I then hoist my butt into the seat. Exiting is reverse: left hand on sill, hoist, and step out. Never touch the outside bolster, which is even more important with the sport buckets in my car.
Interesting. Gotta check that out. Gotta pay more attention to how I'm doing it nowadays. I STARTED with my left hand as an *** "sensor." Not sure how I do it now: but the bolster looks PRISTINE! (big accomplishment, I know )
Old 06-17-2010 | 03:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

That seat looks terrible!
Old 06-17-2010 | 03:04 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Perfect description of the correct technique to get in and get out. That is exactly how I do it. The only wrinkling in the leather of the outer bolster on mine is the dealer/test drivers induced (everytime I see that I'm irritated) while my car sat in the lot for a little over 5 months.
Old 06-17-2010 | 03:33 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fjpdds
$100K plus car and I have to travel with a quart of oil. It's a bit embarrassing when, say you are at a resort and passersby see you adding oil to your "fancy car". I have never owned a new vehicle that required that.
Make a bigger show of it - get out the rags for the wheels, the windshield cleaner, some detail spray - a portable air compressor for the tires is a nice touch - give the car a complete exhibition of luv "at the pit" - and a little sip of oil for breakfast. Then you'll just look like an overzealous car geek.
Old 06-17-2010 | 09:42 PM
nfldcoffee
Intermediate

Okay this maybe more my problem than the car - but if I'm not careful I keep hitting my stomach off the window when I open the car door and try to get into the car with the window up. In the first flew months of ownership of my 977.1 I had a large mark on my beer belly . Don't Laugh , I will have to hit the gym !!

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your 997?