Sponsored by:

Dealership inventory

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Dealership inventory

What's it like at other dealerships? Pretty picked over at mine (Suncoast in Sarasota). Shot this at their back lot Saturday where they keep their new cars except for those inside and outside the showroom. At least 30 p-cars in this lot 6 months ago, maybe more. Most of them 997's. Three peppers and a Boxster yesterday. Never saw it this deserted.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

How is it that inventories are low and they are offering incentives?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it that inventories are low and they are offering incentives?
I was thinking about the exact same thing -- How come they are so low on inventory and yet offer incentives on cars in stock.

My wife - who has a special shopping instinct like all ladies - stands next to me and clamly says, "It happens to the shoe stores all the time, looks just like a store closing sale."

I honestly don't know what to say...

Regards,
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i was there in jan and was shocked at low inventory then,

bert smith and reeves is low too..

i just think they are keeping stuff low cause new stuff on horizon, push the cayenne's to soccer mom's and push people to order cars instead of having stock.. ordering cars people always pay more...

i was sitting at suncoast waiting for my 911 in service one day and this guy was writing a check for a 140k+ C4S and i was saying "what the hell!" in my head... he pulled up with wife in a toyota and he just kept saying how he waited all his life to get a porsche and his wife finally said yes... thats all well and good but dropped 140+ on a C4S custom order when u could easily pick one up for under 100 and more than likely find one in the system the color combo and with options around what u wanted.... the guy taking the check kept reassuring him that paying msrp was a good deal and no incentives/discounts were available... (after i just received almost 29% off at another dealer only months before)
Old 03-28-2010, 08:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

WOW, I think I would have been tempted to bust the salesman in front of the customer! Seriously! But I am sure I would not have done it. As for the customer, the immortal words of Forrest Gump seem to sum him up...... "stupid is as stupid does."

Dealership inventories across the country are lower than we are used to seeing. In fact, there are a few (maybe about 10 or so) dealerships that have less than five 997.2 cars on their lot. A couple of dealerships in smaller markets have zero 997's listed on their web site.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've noticed very low inventory as well. Of course, mostly black and silver cars.
Tim,
I've noticed your avatar says you're moving to Greenville!!!!! when?

Jen
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is suncoast doing ok???
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM
machina
Racer

I heard the 2011's are coming very early this year. That combined with the reduced production of 911's equalls low stock.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I am only "guessing here, but Suncoast seems to have a decent inventory given th a fact that they are in a smaller market.

I "think" thay have a slightly different business model than most other Porsche dealerships. Since they offer parts on a "cost plus" basis, it appears that they have chosen to accept a lower margine on their parts in order to drive higher volume.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Inventories are low or are they storing the cars where you can't see them? It is common for (admittedly mostly larger volume brands) car dealers in NJ to store a significant inventory at a different location than the dealership.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
jakes dad
Racer

I passed a Porsche dealership in Naples Florida a few days ago and I've never seen so many Porsches in any dealership before???
Lots of cars!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM
richc
Pro

The only dealerships around here that has a good inventory of new cars are the Ford shops. All the others seem to have a glut of used cars of varying makes and models. The Porsche dealer here is a little light on cars. Here's an example; they have a '08 Boxster that was $70k, it's now pr iced at $49k - it's listed as a new car.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
David Sapp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inventories look low here in the Midwest as well. It appears to just reflect final demand. My salesman called Friday and offered excellent deals on in stock inventory, but I saw some of those cars on the lot back in November. PNA has had several "deals" in the last six months, but sales remain very slow. It's even difficult for people with money to pull the trigger on buying a new car in this uncertain economic environment. Nevertheless, if you've got the money, this is the time to buy. Once the remaining inventory clears the market, deals will be hard to get.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Sapp
The inventories look low here in the Midwest as well. It appears to just reflect final demand. My salesman called Friday and offered excellent deals on in stock inventory, but I saw some of those cars on the lot back in November. PNA has had several "deals" in the last six months, but sales remain very slow. It's even difficult for people with money to pull the trigger on buying a new car in this uncertain economic environment. Nevertheless, if you've got the money, this is the time to buy. Once the remaining inventory clears the market, deals will be hard to get.
Until later in the year when all of the 2011 cars are sitting unsold on the lot.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
What's it like at other dealerships? Pretty picked over at mine (Suncoast in Sarasota). Shot this at their back lot Saturday where they keep their new cars except for those inside and outside the showroom. At least 30 p-cars in this lot 6 months ago, maybe more. Most of them 997's. Three peppers and a Boxster yesterday. Never saw it this deserted.
I pass a few Porsche dealerships out here in the SF bay area and see lots of unsold cars. Used cars seem to be turning over well, but new ones a bit slow.

One Porsche dealer has 17 or so cars listed at between $9000 and $20K discount and only 3 are 2009s. All the rest are 2010s.

Some dealers have "hidden" parking garages or warehouses for their cars.

What you see on the dealer lot proper is not the complete inventory. They have a roof parking lot, or like the dealer in Merriam KS have an underground parking garage -- I picked my 02 Boxster out of the underground parking garage stock -- or like one SF bay area dealer which has a "barn" just a half a block down the street full of new if somewhat dusty new Porsches.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Dealership inventory