Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership inventory

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
David Sapp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the dealers that I monitor post their inventory online. I presume that is everything they have available. I see an inordinate number of PDKs in inventory. It's obvious that PNA has been pushing the new "automatic" but I don't think they have won over the faithful yet. As far as I can tell, Porsche has also been boosting prices substantially in the last few years because of the strong Euro relative to the dollar. Now that the Euro is fading, Porsche may be making some price reductions or offering lower priced options on the 2011 models. It could be that 2011 pricing may make the 2010 models unattractive without big discounts.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM
David Sapp
AutoX

Oh, I forgot, GO BULLDOGS!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David Sapp
Most of the dealers that I monitor post their inventory online. I presume that is everything they have available. I see an inordinate number of PDKs in inventory. It's obvious that PNA has been pushing the new "automatic" but I don't think they have won over the faithful yet. As far as I can tell, Porsche has also been boosting prices substantially in the last few years because of the strong Euro relative to the dollar. Now that the Euro is fading, Porsche may be making some price reductions or offering lower priced options on the 2011 models. It could be that 2011 pricing may make the 2010 models unattractive without big discounts.
I can't find a single PDK with Chrono Sport with the specs I want... and with regards to the Exchange rates, it's a non issue as Porsche hedges years ahead...
JM
Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 469 Posts

Didn't they adjust their allocations for 2010 and beyond to send more cars to China like BMW is doing? A freind of mine just toured the BMW plant and said like 1/2 of their new 5 and 7 series had China data tags on them! How the world is changing?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Can you help us out and identify the local dealers that have off-site storage?

Originally Posted by Macster
I pass a few Porsche dealerships out here in the SF bay area and see lots of unsold cars. Used cars seem to be turning over well, but new ones a bit slow.

One Porsche dealer has 17 or so cars listed at between $9000 and $20K discount and only 3 are 2009s. All the rest are 2010s.

Some dealers have "hidden" parking garages or warehouses for their cars.

What you see on the dealer lot proper is not the complete inventory. They have a roof parking lot, or like the dealer in Merriam KS have an underground parking garage --
I picked my 02 Boxster out of the underground parking garage stock -- or like one SF bay area dealer which has a "barn" just a half a block down the street full of new if somewhat dusty new Porsches.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 692 Posts

http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/...tor/states/WI/
This link will list every Porsche dealer in the US by state. I did my "quarterly" tour today (about 3 hours of daydreaming). There are lots of new (08-10) cars spread out over the country, including GT3s and turbos/turbo cabs, although the majority of turbos are PDKs.
Enjoy...
Old 03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

About the Euro dropping in value, most companies use Hedging to even out currency flutations. So even if the value of the Euro is down now, it does not mean Porsche is benefitting from it. Euro would have to stay down for a lot longer for it to affect car prices.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
How is it that inventories are low and they are offering incentives?
I was told by my rep that they are not going to overproduce this year. Keep the numbers low no matter what. Last year they made too many and were stuck with an over supply last fall. The reason for incentives is that despite low production numbers, orders may be low as well.

Jay
Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
http://www.porschedealer.com/dealer/...tor/states/WI/
This link will list every Porsche dealer in the US by state. I did my "quarterly" tour today (about 3 hours of daydreaming). There are lots of new (08-10) cars spread out over the country, including GT3s and turbos/turbo cabs, although the majority of turbos are PDKs.
Enjoy...

No wonder they are NOT selling! A turbo with an automatic tranny is like kissing your sister...

Just sayin'

Steve
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Can you help us out and identify the local dealers that have off-site storage?
Well, Carlsen Porsche in Redwood City has the barn, had it a year ago. I took pics of the dusty cars in it. Had I not been taken there by salesman I would have never guessed the nondescript building held maybe 20 new Porsches.

Fremont Porsche I don't believe has any off site storage. What you see is what you get. Stevens Creek... I don't know for sure, but the site doesn't appear to have any off site storage.

Livemore Porsche has none. The dealership has a very large lot and there are many cars on it. I was by there just the other day and the its lot is quite full along the front and down the east side.

Oh, Rector Porsche has roof storage. I went there once for some service and when I returned to pick up my car the car a tech was working on when I dropped my car off -- tech was installing a new engine in this other car -- was nowhere to be seen. I asked the tech where car was, what happened, and tech told me he got the engine back in the car, the car running, road tested and it was parked on the roof awaiting pick up by the customer. So, Rector Porsche has some roof storage.

Don't know about any dealers north of SF bay area.

Walnut Creek (Stead) Porsche has a very small lot but I believe I've spotted a fenced in lot that it uses to store cars.

(Not a Porsche dealer, but the Pleasanton BMW dealer and Accura dealer have a huge storage yard, in fact it looks like they share a yard, located around the block behind the BMW dealer --the yard sort of facing Santa Rita Road -- where new cars are kept.)

As I mentioned Merriam KS Porsche dealer has an underground parking area. I do not know the full size of it, but believe it to be quite large. This dealer sells besides Porsches, Merecedes, Smart, Jaguar and Rovers. I was only in this parking facility once and I only had eyes for the Lapis Blue Boxster I saw and ended up buying. I kind of remember seeing a number of other cars, cause I remember salesman pointing out several different Boxsters and Boxster S's if the Lapis Blue one didn't suit me.

I was at the Porche dealers in and around Dallas years ago but I don't recall seeing any storage areas. Ditto the Sacramento dealer and the Bend OR dealer. Oh, and I have been at both the Springfield MO dealer but didn't have any reason to be exposed to any storage facilty, so I don't know if any exists there or not. Also, have been to the Wichita KS Porsche dealer but did not look at cars, was not interested at the time in buying a Porsche. At the Wichita dealer was more concerned about getting my car fixed.

A few other people have posted info on dealers in other areas -- one posted of a dealer in Florida -- that have some kind of out sight storage areas for new cars. This dealer in Florida had roof storage. The poster looked closer at the dealer's building when he was a bit further away and spotted the outlines of the roofs of cars on the roof of the dealer's building.

Not all dealers have new car storage off site, or hidden, but some do.

Added: Remembered after I posted: Fremont Porsche can store cars in lot behind it, that is shared with Enterprise rental and the Mercedes dealership.

Fremont Porsche is also combined with the Mercedes dealership (when I bought my Turbo I negotiated price with salesman while sitting in office immmediately off the Mercedes main show room floor, an office just a door down from the salesmanager's office -- both the Porsche and Mercedes dealership shared the salsmanager) and Porches and Mercedes are mixed up) and I remember once while waiting to pick up my car after having it serviced walking around and walking west alongside the north side of the Porsche dealership and past the rental car office and seeing new Porsches parked west and south of the rental car building. New Mercedes were parked in several rows on the north side of the parking lot.

Also, I remembered Stevens Creek.... there's a large parking lot behind the dealership that while I've never been on that lot could hold new cars. One would have to wander in and take a peek.

If you want call up dealer's location on google map and then switch to satellite view and zoom in on the dealership buildings and surrounding parking lots. You might be able to make out new Porsches on the lots or even on top of the dealership's building.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 03-29-2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Added "Added:...".
Old 03-29-2010, 11:47 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carlsen - I bought 7 cars from them when we lived in Palo Alto. When did they move to Redwood City?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
silver1331
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If inventory was low there is no way they would be offering the incentives...clearly supply is still exceeding demand otherwise there would be no build in inventories for 2010 and this is AFTER huge discounts on the remaining 2009s and low interest rates.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by richc
Carlsen - I bought 7 cars from them when we lived in Palo Alto. When did they move to Redwood City?
Do not remember when Carlsen moved but it has been a while. At least a year, maybe more, maybe as many as a couple of years.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

One has to wonder what the storage lots that PCNA has look like. I think a lot of dealers are not ordering/taking deliveries of cars as this costs them a lot of money. I bet that the lots at the docks are very full, both here and in Germany.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Here where I live they were advertising cheapo leases on Boxstes/Caymans over the weekend. 499/month or something. I was kind of surprised as I have never seen them do that before. My dad said its the first time he has ever seen them doing that with Porsche.

I dont think there is low supply otherwise they would not be advertising this. Granted its not 911's but its still a Porsche. I am sure there are discounts on 911's as well.

Quick Reply: Dealership inventory